The Student Room Group

Should I be happy with these AS results?

ABDU, geog biology chemistry maths respectively. Not happy with chem and maths obviously. I wanted to apply for medicine but idk whether it'd be the best idea, I'm really unsure what alternatives there are to medicine with these results and what I could apply for that could get me into grad entry med later on. Overall, how are these AS results?
they aren't bad at all... try harder on the ones you are disappointed with :h:
you can't get into medicine with these results.
Original post by angelscity
ABDU, geog biology chemistry maths respectively. Not happy with chem and maths obviously. I wanted to apply for medicine but idk whether it'd be the best idea, I'm really unsure what alternatives there are to medicine with these results and what I could apply for that could get me into grad entry med later on. Overall, how are these AS results?

Really depends mate. Medicine's really competitive.

You could technically drop maths and be predicted A*AB respective to the subjects you wrote and get an interview IF you work really hard and smash the UKCAT/BMAT, have a STRONG Personal Statement and have REALLY GOOD GCSEs. Working hard means doing all the necessary tasks, working on exam technique METICULOUSLY and never leaving confusing topics to the last minute.

Bear in mind most Med schools are not forgiving about AS results, so really shop around and see if there are any that will be lenient towards your AS results and focus more on predicted grades or entry exam points.

But I suggest being careful with how many choices of Med schools you pick (ie pick 2-3) and have other degrees as back up. You could always go into Nursing if you do really well next year or consider graduate entry medicine.
If you work really hard this year and achieve 3As at least then just reapply. Why give up after 1 setback when you can still get in
Reply 5
Original post by HopelessMedic
If you work really hard this year and achieve 3As at least then just reapply. Why give up after 1 setback when you can still get in

Thank you for the encouragement! Would taking a gap year be a good idea?
Reply 6
Original post by StudentInSociety
Really depends mate. Medicine's really competitive.

You could technically drop maths and be predicted A*AB respective to the subjects you wrote and get an interview IF you work really hard and smash the UKCAT/BMAT, have a STRONG Personal Statement and have REALLY GOOD GCSEs. Working hard means doing all the necessary tasks, working on exam technique METICULOUSLY and never leaving confusing topics to the last minute.

Bear in mind most Med schools are not forgiving about AS results, so really shop around and see if there are any that will be lenient towards your AS results and focus more on predicted grades or entry exam points.

But I suggest being careful with how many choices of Med schools you pick (ie pick 2-3) and have other degrees as back up. You could always go into Nursing if you do really well next year or consider graduate entry medicine.

Yeah that's true, I doubt my PS and UKCAT mark are going to be incredible enough to get me into medicine this year :frown: thank you for your response tho :smile: that's really helpful
Reply 7
Original post by Wammyburger
Well done with the Geography and Biology. Would seriously consider retaking Chem and maths

Thank you!! :smile: + yes of course, luckily chemistry is linear so it didn't count but will definitely be resitting maths AS next year!
Original post by angelscity
Thank you for the encouragement! Would taking a gap year be a good idea?

Essentially that's what I'm suggesting. There's no point applying to med this year unless you an get AAA predictions. If you get 3As at the end of this year then apply with those achieved grades.
Reply 9
What were your GCSE results like?
Original post by Csd1999
What were your GCSE results like?

2A*s 7As 3Bs
Original post by HopelessMedic
Essentially that's what I'm suggesting. There's no point applying to med this year unless you an get AAA predictions. If you get 3As at the end of this year then apply with those achieved grades.

Ah okay, that's understandable. I've already booked my UKCAT for September and am half way through writing my personal statement. I've got some work experience under my belt already but could leave it now and work on the grades if that's a better idea. I'm also doing an EPQ which I think I'll carry on. Are there any alternatives you'd advise like biomed or biology and then grad entry to medicine or would it just be better to take a gap year since there's a low chance of being accepted anyway with these predicted grades? Sorry for so many questions :') thank you for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest