The Student Room Group

Parenting education, your opinion!!

Hello friends,
Like the other education, according to me parenting education is also important during higher studies. So that kids are prepared with all kind of situations on how to deal with babies and most important how to teach them values/culture etc.

Let's discuss about parenting education. Share your views and opinions!!
Original post by deacon06
Hello friends,
Like the other education, according to me parenting education is also important during higher studies. So that kids are prepared with all kind of situations on how to deal with babies and most important how to teach them values/culture etc.

Let's discuss about parenting education. Share your views and opinions!!

I think that's a good idea. They should especially teach it to KS4 students.
Original post by Workangel_24
I think that's a good idea. They should especially teach it to KS4 students.

I think it is a good idea. But why bore KS4 students with it? Surely parents-to-be would be a better target audience especially when the average age of a newborn child's mother in the UK is 30 and rising.
There are parenting classes you can attend when you're pregnant and there's plenty of books available.
Original post by ByEeek
I think it is a good idea. But why bore KS4 students with it? Surely parents-to-be would be a better target audience especially when the average age of a newborn child's mother in the UK is 30 and rising.

I agree but these days there is a rise in teenage pregnancies so it's important for teens to know about how to look after a baby/parenting skills etc. 2 girls from my yr are teen mothers but they're getting help and support from their family and friends but there might be other teen mums out there who doesn't know how to take care of a baby and if they do not it could lead them to neglecting the baby which can lead to drastic consequences for the child's development.
They should teach that instead of RE or Citizenship at school
Original post by Workangel_24
I agree but these days there is a rise in teenage pregnancies

This is not true. Teenage pregnancies are well down on where tge used to be and continue to fall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35761826

Sex education yes, but parenting education just for parents to be imo.
Reply 7
Original post by Pinkberry_y
They should teach that instead of RE or Citizenship at school

Really? Considering the current state of the country politically, RE and Citizenship are more important than ever.

I don't see the point in teaching parenting skills when, for the vast majority of students, parenthood is several years away or, for some, isn't needed as they will never become parents. There are classes available for parents-to-be, which is when such lessons are the most needed and valuable. The current focus on teaching children about how to form safe, healthy relationships and good values is the right approach.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending