The Student Room Group

Bad AS results, don't know what to do now?! Need advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BunnyMidnight
Mate you don't need to resit, your under the new spec which means that the courses are a linear year.
That means that the EUD you achieved will become predicted grades, your teachers might change them to CCC, depending on your circumstances and the grades that you achieved via mocks and homework etc. There is also the possibility of your predicted grades changing if your grades in the mocks, before the UCAS deadline, increase from DDD to BBB or even to AAA etc.

This is if you are taking the new AS spec/the reforms.

I got DDE and I'm just going to take it cry/get angry when it actually hits me and move on, start studying earlier and beg the stars and Jedi gods that I will have a much more smoother year; as this year was ****ING HORRIBLE, TOXIC, CRAZY and more for me.

All that is left is GOOD LUCK!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=26320-A-guide-to-AS-results-2016

I'm in a similar situation with D, E, E and U. I've been told on student room all day to resit or retake even though it won't count towards my A2. If I do get my predicted grades boosted up to a CCC, will it affect my chances of going to uni?
Mate you don't need to resit, your under the new spec which means that the courses are a linear year.
That means that the EUD you achieved will become predicted grades, your teachers might change them to CCC, depending on your circumstances and the grades that you achieved via mocks and homework etc. There is also the possibility of your predicted grades changing if your grades in the mocks, before the UCAS deadline, increase from DDD to BBB or even to AAA etc.

This is if you are taking the new AS spec/the reforms.

I got DDE and I'm just going to take it cry/get angry when it actually hits me and move on, start studying earlier and beg the stars and Jedi gods that I will have a much more smoother year; as this year was ****ING HORRIBLE, TOXIC, CRAZY and more for me.

All that is left is GOOD LUCK!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=26320-A-guide-to-AS-results-2016

Yeah I'm taking the new spec, my grades don't count towards next years but they have to go on my UCAS so the uni will see my grades and then maybe not give me an offer... am I correct in saying this? I just need to work incredibly hard this year, I think in all honesty I have messed around a bit this year and didn't start revision too early- like 2 weeks before each exam, so I'll just start reviewing every lesson every night when I finish that day and hopefully I'll get better results
Reply 22
Guys can some1 give me advice as I don't want start the year again. Should I continue with the two a levels I passed and ask the exam officer if it is possible to be entered for the AS and a2 exam for anther subject and self teach my self the course?
Original post by TheStudent19
How would you feel about resitting the year with different subjects, perhaps finding an institute that offers a triple diploma in BTEC science or something similar? Are there any colleges near you that offer triple diplomas that look interesting? They might be a better option than doing three new A Levels

What subject do you want to do at uni?

Yeah there are colleges close by that do the triple diploma BTEC but I would only do this as a last resort I think. I'm hoping to do nutrition at uni
Original post by KaneQwe
Guys can some1 give me advice as I don't want start the year again. Should I continue with the two a levels I passed and ask the exam officer if it is possible to be entered for the AS and a2 exam for anther subject and self teach my self the course?

This is EXACTLY what I have asked to do, but unfortunately they told me that it would be extremely hard work to teach yourself a full syllabus in a year along side your other A2 work even though I really want to do it I'm not allowed
Original post by LadybirdOrange
Yeah that sounds right for you, my school that I did GCSEs at don't have a sixth form so I can't move back although I'd love to. I feel I can get a good grade atleast Bs in psych and bio but I'm really uncertain about Chem, do you think I'd be able to get my grade up from a U in a year to atleast a C?

Bio and Psych, you can get the grades you need if you buckle down.

I would worry about Chem only because it increases difficulty at A2 and you have to be on game. But I have to warn you that if you're willing to do SO MUCH WORK, that'll be the only way to get a C. You have to be honest with yourself: will you do the work or will you do the same as you did this year? If you honestly know you're a procrastinator or you just don't get it, DON'T FORCE IT. Pick up a different AS if you have to. You have to be sure that you want to get that C.

Revision tips: always do past papers after new topics. Learn from doing exams rather than just learning everything from a textbook. Always revisit confusing areas. Get rid of the "i'll do it later" mentality (I had this LOL).

Good luck, you still have a year left!
Original post by imanonymous123
I'm in a similar situation with D, E, E and U. I've been told on student room all day to resit or retake even though it won't count towards my A2. If I do get my predicted grades boosted up to a CCC, will it affect my chances of going to uni?

Nope, might boost up the amount of unis you can go too, tbh you can only go up from here!! :wink::smile:
Besides some people still get into uni with low grades, anything can happen...just work smartly next year! :h::h:

You can definitely get to uni with CCC, bear in mind it is unlikely to be a Russel Group University and it depends on the course you're after. Ask your teachers and Guidance counsellors for advice for next steps and if you like, call the unis and ask about the requirements they need.

Drop the U subject completely - I feel like there's no point carrying any U subjects on. Theoretically most people get the same or one grade higher than they got at AS, but I know people who improved by two whole grades through hard work, GENUINE HARD WORK, so make realistic goals about how much you want to improve by.

It's not the end :smile: Good luck!
I got EUD, psychology chemistry biology respectively, my teacher is advising that I stick with them and carry on to A2 but do an EPQ along side my alevels, I don't feel confident in chemistry at all, in my mocks I got Bs for psych and bio and an E for chemistry. I just don't know where it went so wrong in the actual exams, I felt at the time I hadn't done my best. I've moved sixth form from my other school and had to change exam board so they say it could be due to this I just have no confidence now and have no clue what to do. I'm thinking of a Btec science course but that would be my last option and I'm not keen on doing that, Also will this affect my predicted grades because I need ABB/BBB to get into uni for my course. Anyone else got any similar grades? What are you doing?

goddamn u shouldnt have chosen such difficult subjects play it smart ma nig, looks i got a EEE in my first years AS managed to get BBC in the end
Reply 29
Original post by THEtsrGOD
goddamn u shouldnt have chosen such difficult subjects play it smart ma nig, looks i got a EEE in my first years AS managed to get BBC in the end

BBC?
Yeah I'm taking the new spec, my grades don't count towards next years but they have to go on my UCAS so the uni will see my grades and then maybe not give me an offer... am I correct in saying this? I just need to work incredibly hard this year, I think in all honesty I have messed around a bit this year and didn't start revision too early- like 2 weeks before each exam, so I'll just start reviewing every lesson every night when I finish that day and hopefully I'll get better results

Yep but like I said if you can boost up your grades in your mocks and your predicted grades before the UCAS deadline in Jan/Feb (depending on the uni) then you will be fine. Not only there is Adjustment and Clearing, anything can happen!
Work 10000000x hard even if you worked 10000x harder this year, the new spec is kinda hard and unpredictable and Universities will take that into consideration, alongside anything else that might have affected your grades and more.

I new tactic that I learnt with revision, is to go over what you learnt leave it for a few mins, then a few hours, then a few days and keep come back to it and testing yourself, in that period of time you can study something else, chill etc. This will tell you if you fully understood what you covered and more if that makes sense. Kinda hard to describe it.

e.g you learnt lipids, you go home that same night and you go over it for an hour, you then move onto something else for 1-3 hours. You then go back to it and answer questions/write what you remember then compare your test to what you have covered. It will tell you what to work on, your weak points etc. You continuously do this, if it's possible
Reply 31
So did you restart your a levels with the same subjects? My parents and teachers say I should just continue and put a lot more effort in next year, they have all said that they know I can do better, I know myself that I can do better it's just finding the motivation again I guess. Congratulations on your results though they're fab!!

Yeah, I did restart my a level as they wouldn't allow me to continue onto a2. However, if everyone is telling you to continue then I assume in your case your predicted grades can get a noticeable boost assuming if you consistently get near to the maximum score in all your assessment. You probably should know it by now but the amount of stress you'll be having during May-June is insane. Two of my friends ended up doing 16 exams and one managed to get all the grades he wanted, the other one still did good but expected a bit better. Its a high risk high reward situation.
Original post by StudentInSociety
You can definitely get to uni with CCC, bear in mind it is unlikely to be a Russel Group University and it depends on the course you're after. Ask your teachers and Guidance counsellors for advice for next steps and if you like, call the unis and ask about the requirements they need.

Drop the U subject completely - I feel like there's no point carrying any U subjects on. Theoretically most people get the same or one grade higher than they got at AS, but I know people who improved by two whole grades through hard work, GENUINE HARD WORK, so make realistic goals about how much you want to improve by.

It's not the end :smile: Good luck!

I'm not picking any Russell Group uni's and all the ones I'm considering want BCC/CCC so I'm hoping I can get better than that next year with much more effort. I'm looking into Biological Sciences at different universities. I've tried emailing everyone but all the teachers and guidance counselors are on holiday so I'll have to wait until September. So now I don't know whether to apply to another sixth form as a back up if they don't let me return. The head of sixth form said that I maybe can get boosted up to BCC as I've been getting A's all year and in my mocks but it's up the head of sciences to let me into A2.
Nope, might boost up the amount of unis you can go too, tbh you can only go up from here!! :wink::smile:
Besides some people still get into uni with low grades, anything can happen...just work smartly next year! :h::h:

Thanks, so you don't recommend retaking the year?
Thanks, so you don't recommend retaking the year?

Not really if you are sure that you are on the new spec for your courses, it's kinda a waste of time and un necessary...unless you're considering to change your courses.
Not really if you are sure that you are on the new spec for your courses, it's kinda a waste of time and un necessary...unless you're considering to change your courses.

No, I'm not going to change the courses and yeah, they don't count towards my A2.
No, I'm not going to change the courses and yeah, they don't count towards my A2.

Nope, just predicted grades which can change if you able to before the UCAS deadline.
I got EUD, psychology chemistry biology respectively, my teacher is advising that I stick with them and carry on to A2 but do an EPQ along side my alevels, I don't feel confident in chemistry at all, in my mocks I got Bs for psych and bio and an E for chemistry. I just don't know where it went so wrong in the actual exams, I felt at the time I hadn't done my best. I've moved sixth form from my other school and had to change exam board so they say it could be due to this I just have no confidence now and have no clue what to do. I'm thinking of a Btec science course but that would be my last option and I'm not keen on doing that, Also will this affect my predicted grades because I need ABB/BBB to get into uni for my course. Anyone else got any similar grades? What are you doing?

You got EUD as well, i ended up with bio and physics. failed chem. don't worry I am in the same situation as you are. we are in the same boat. My teachers also told me the same thing, take AS + EPQ I don't want to resit so I am going to continue. Think about the situation this way, we have come this far, when one door closes another opens there must be some way.

I don't recommend resitting whole AS again since it is VERY risky. if you resit and what if you don't manage to get good grades, it will be like you wasted an year. so what I will advice is that you continue with the 2 A-levels + 1 AS + EPQ see what you get next year, if you get enough points then apply to uni's that accepts points. if you don't get enough points go to do an advanced apprenticeship. you can do advanced apprenticeships after passing 2 A-levels.

BEST OF LUCK! :smile:
Nope, just predicted grades which can change if you able to before the UCAS deadline.

Yeah it is January so I have a lot more time to convince my teacher's that I know I will definitely get above a C.
I have recieved my AS results which were a D in ICT, D in History and a D in politics. Two of my courses are moduler and I dont know if I should retake or not. However I do feel I can make alot of improvements if I do carry on but maybe I am wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest