The Student Room Group

Please help me!

Hi,
I've just had my AS results and don't really know how to cope with them: ever since being little I've always wanted to be a doctor and up until today it seemed a realistic prospect. I have 9A*2A's at GCSE and good volunteering and work experience however my AS level results turned out to be BBBC (B's in biology, chemistry and maths and a C in physics). I really have no idea what to do next, I feel so shocked by these results and am really very upset over them. Do I still have a chance of getting into medical school?
Reply 1
Original post by Bd1739
Hi,
I've just had my AS results and don't really know how to cope with them: ever since being little I've always wanted to be a doctor and up until today it seemed a realistic prospect. I have 9A*2A's at GCSE and good volunteering and work experience however my AS level results turned out to be BBBC (B's in biology, chemistry and maths and a C in physics). I really have no idea what to do next, I feel so shocked by these results and am really very upset over them. Do I still have a chance of getting into medical school?

Hi, okay first of all, those are not bad results at all! In fact many people would be happy to get results like that! The good thing is that they're only AS results which means if you continue to A2 then you'll automatically resit every exam and your AS results won't count!

The good thing about this is that when you did the exams you know where your weak points are and can ask teachers about how to improve and really take this year to ask questions and keep your revision up to scratch! Continue to go over your revision notes throughout the year as boring as it may get just to drill everything into your head.

As well as revising A2 topics continue revising your As content through the holidays as A2 exams will be on AS topics as well

Never be afraid to always ask teachers if there's anything you don't understand, after all that's what they're there for
Reply 2
Original post by an_r
Hi, okay first of all, those are not bad results at all! In fact many people would be happy to get results like that! The good thing is that they're only AS results which means if you continue to A2 then you'll automatically resit every exam and your AS results won't count!

The good thing about this is that when you did the exams you know where your weak points are and can ask teachers about how to improve and really take this year to ask questions and keep your revision up to scratch! Continue to go over your revision notes throughout the year as boring as it may get just to drill everything into your head.

As well as revising A2 topics continue revising your As content through the holidays as A2 exams will be on AS topics as well

Never be afraid to always ask teachers if there's anything you don't understand, after all that's what they're there for

Is this going to devastate my chances of getting in though? Will universities be able to see these grades? I know they're not bad but they're nowhere near what I need to get into medicine!!!
Reply 3
Original post by Bd1739
Is this going to devastate my chances of getting in though? Will universities be able to see these grades? I know they're not bad but they're nowhere near what I need to get into medicine!!!

It certainly won't devestate your chances but may rule out some of the top universities if that's where you were planning as they prefer you to get A and A* in one sitting.

However, have you considered dropping physics as you did perform less well in it than the other subjects and it's good to bear in mind that uni's only ever ask for 3 a levels, so it would be more useful and give you better chances if at the end of A2 you had 3 solid grades instead of 4 almost good enough grades, as this would look better to universities which means you could work even harder on 3 subjects and not have to spread your time between 4 when you're only required to take 3 to get into uni

Quick Reply

Latest