The Student Room Group

Housemate dropped out urgently need advice.

My roommate for next year told us he's dropping out of Uni, but he hasn't told our student housing firm, hasn't told the SU he's dropping out and we've heard nothing from him. He hasn't paid the deposit and first months rent needed to get the keys and payment deadline for that is next week. To sign over his contract to find a new tenant he has to contact the housing company which he hasn't done. We spoke to his house mate from last year and he told us he still owes his previous landlord around 1000 pounds. We cant afford to pay for his share but our contract is shared. The worst part is we wont return any messages or calls. I don't think he grasps the seriousness of the situation. He also signed without a guarantor. Our last ditch effort is messaging his mum on facebook as I don't think hes told her what a mess he's in.

Any advice on the situation? Theres 2 others stuck in this mess.
(edited 7 years ago)
Halls ftw.
Original post by vivanick1
My roommate for next told us he's dropping out of Uni, but he hasn't told our student housing firm, hasn't told the SU he's dropping out and we've heard nothing from him. He hasn't paid the deposit and first months rent needed to get the keys and payment deadline for that is next week. To sign over his contract to find a new tenant he has to contact the housing company which he hasn't done. We spoke to his house mate from last year and he told us he still owes his previous landlord around 1000 pounds. We cant afford to pay for his share but our contract is shared. The worst part is we wont return any messages or calls. I don't think he grasps the seriousness of the situation. He also signed without a guarantor. Our last ditch effort is messaging his mum on facebook as I don't think hes told her what a mess he's in.

Any advice on the situation? Theres 2 others stuck in this mess.

phone whoever deals with accommodation at your uni. They'll be able to advise you better on this
Oh and DON'T message his Mum :facepalm: That'd just be creepy.
Reply 4
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Oh and DON'T message his Mum :facepalm: That'd just be creepy.

We already know his mum, this guy was supposed to be a great friend of ours.
We already know his mum, this guy was supposed to be a great friend of ours.

Ahh ok. which year will you guys be in?
This is why I lived in Halls for three years, a house is just too much aggro.

Have you contacted your university for support? Have you explained the situation to your landlord?
Reply 7
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Ahh ok. which year will you guys be in?

Second, played lacrosse together for a year and never left each others side.
Reply 8
Original post by 99_Problems
This is why I lived in Halls for three years, a house is just too much aggro.

Have you contacted your university for support? Have you explained the situation to your landlord?

Our housing company told us to wait to not worry the landlord, my university is obviously closed but I'm going to try to call them tomorrow
Our housing company told us to wait to not worry the landlord, my university is obviously closed but I'm going to try to call them tomorrow

Universities don't usually close in the summer per se so they should answer. They'll be able to give you advice and support. A Wellbeing officer may even try to contact the guy. I'm sorry I can't help more, hopefully someone who has lived in a house will be able to give you some solid advice.
Reply 10
Original post by 99_Problems
Universities don't usually close in the summer per se so they should answer. They'll be able to give you advice and support. A Wellbeing officer may even try to contact the guy. I'm sorry I can't help more, hopefully someone who has lived in a house will be able to give you some solid advice.

I meant tonight, but thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.
Reply 11
Bumping this thread for today
its generally a terrible idea to have a shared contract for this reason... you all need to be separately liable for your own rooms/rents and not for each others, to be honest if he didn't pay his rent last year you may actually be dodging a bullet because at least now you can try and fill the room with someone more reliable and you know where you stand... what if he'd moved in and just not paid the last 3 months rent and then done a runner and left it for the rest of you when you're skint at the end of the year?

I'd get looking for another tenant asap and assume that until that point you may be liable for the entire rent for the property (assuming the rest of you have signed a contract), although I'm not sure on the legalities

Quick Reply

Latest