The Student Room Group

HELP NEEDED FOR CHOICE OF COLLEGES - 2017 Entry

Hi everyone! I will be applying to the Medical schools in the United Kingdom this cycle and have been pondering over the choices of schools. I am very keen to apply to the London based schools such as Imperial College London, University College London etc. At the same time, I wish to apply to the University of Oxford or University of Cambridge. Based on my entrance exam scores and my predicted results, can someone help me narrow down my choices?

IB (predicted) - Maths HL - 7 ; Physics HL - 7 ; Biology HL - 7 ; Chemistry HL - 7 ; English A: SL - 7 ; Hindi B: SL - 6.
Total Predicted - 44 out of 45.

I had completed the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) which is an Indian based curriculum before pursuing my IB. This is equivalent to the GCSEs.
CBSE - Maths,Physics,Chemistry,Biology,English,Hindi - 10 Cumulative Grade Point Average out of a total 10 possible. (10/10).

I have written the UKCAT as well - 810 average.
Verbal Reasoning - 780
Quantitative Reasoning - 850
Abstract Reasoning - 800
Situational Judgement - Band 1

I will be sitting for the BMAT exam in November. Apart from this, I have various research and work shadowing experience. I also have loads of sports participation and other extracurricular activities.
Please help me out here. Thank you very much!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AspiringSword
Hi everyone! I will be applying to the Medical schools in the United Kingdom this cycle and have been pondering over the choices of schools. I am very keen to apply to the London based schools such as Imperial College London, University College London etc. At the same time, I wish to apply to the University of Oxford or University of Cambridge. Based on my entrance exam scores and my predicted results, can someone help me narrow down my choices?

IB (predicted) - Maths HL - 7 ; Physics HL - 7 ; Biology HL - 7 ; Chemistry HL - 7 ; English A:s-smilie:L - 7 ; Hindi B:s-smilie:L - 6.
Total Predicted - 44 out of 45.

I had completed the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) which is an Indian based curriculum before pursuing my IB. This is equivalent to the GCSEs.
CBSE - Maths,Physics,Chemistry,Biology,English,Hindi - 10 Cumulative Grade Point Average out of a total 10 possible. (10/10).

I have written the UKCAT as well - 810 average.
Verbal Reasoning - 780
Quantitative Reasoning - 850
Abstract Reasoning - 800
Situational Judgement - Band 1

I will be sitting for the BMAT exam in November. Apart from this, I have various research and work shadowing experience. I also have loads of sports participation and other extracurricular activities.
Please help me out here. Thank you very much!

Hey there!

Impressive grades you've got there :smile:

You can apply to 4 Medicine Courses and a 5th different course through UCAS. From your selection above, you've listed Imperial, UCL, Oxford & Cambridge as your preferred universities.

Definitely apply to both Imperial & UCL - London life is great and they are both fantastic universities.

For Oxford & Cambridge, you have to decide one or the other (as you probably know). Have you been to an open day at either? Have you checked out the towns/colleges each one has to offer? Or, do you know anyone at either uni?

We've got a couple of people here in the office from Oxford - and they loved it! But you should definitely find out more about Cambridge from someone who's been there.

What are you thinking for your 4th choice? What about BARTS?

Hope you find the above useful,
The Medic Portal

Spoiler

Hi! Thank you for the reply. Since my UKCAT score is pretty ok, I was planning to apply to Kings College London as my fourth choice. And for my third choice, I was confused as in to apply to Oxbridge or another UKCAT college such as Queen Mary. I heard that the Oxbridge is really competitive, and being an International student, the cut off is really high and therefore is really tough to get accepted into. I do not want to waste a choice if that's the case. :frown: This is the confusion I have been having. I also do not have any contacts in these universities.
Can you please elaborate and help me choose the best for International Students? How is the acceptance rate at ICL and UCL for international students?

Hi! Thank you for the reply. Since my UKCAT score is pretty ok, I was planning to apply to Kings College London as my fourth choice. And for my third choice, I was confused as in to apply to Oxbridge or another UKCAT college such as Queen Mary. I heard that the Oxbridge is really competitive, and being an International student, the cut off is really high and therefore is really tough to get accepted into. I do not want to waste a choice if that's the case. :frown: This is the confusion I have been having. I also do not have any contacts in these universities.
Can you please elaborate and help me choose the best for International Students? How is the acceptance rate at ICL and UCL for international students?

Good morning :smile:

Yes, Oxford and Cambridge are both very competitive to get into. All Medical Schools in the UK have a very limited number of international places - ranging from roughly 10 - 60 or so - depending on where you're applying!

Attached is a doc listing UK Med Schools and the numbers of international places they have available. Some we haven't been able to get in touch with (just a couple :smile: ), but you can always just give the admissions offices a telephone to double check.

Hope you find it useful!

The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
Good morning :smile:

Yes, Oxford and Cambridge are both very competitive to get into. All Medical Schools in the UK have a very limited number of international places - ranging from roughly 10 - 60 or so - depending on where you're applying!

Attached is a doc listing UK Med Schools and the numbers of international places they have available. Some we haven't been able to get in touch with (just a couple :smile: ), but you can always just give the admissions offices a telephone to double check.

Hope you find it useful!

The Medic Portal

Thank you so so very much!
Thank you so so very much!

Our pleasure :colondollar:
Reply 6
Hi AspiringSword! Great academic scores you've got there! :smile: :smile:

I am an international student in the IB program too, and would love some advice on narrowing down my list of universities. I'm pretty set on Imperial and Birmingham, but need to decide between Leicester, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Exeter and East Anglia for my next 2 options. In terms of my 5th non-med option, I'm quite stuck! I would love to apply to Cambridge's Natural Sciences course but with a medicine focused application, how likely is it that they'll consider me?

IB predicted grades
Chemistry HL - 7
Biology HL - 7
Psychology HL - 7
Hindi A HL - 7
Maths SL - 7
English A Lang & Lit SL - 7

MYP grades (equivalent to GCSEs)
7s (A*) in all subjects except for the 5s (B) in maths and science.
Kind of concerned about this, as they are quite important subjects. Does this mean that I should disregard Birmingham and Leicester, as they place quite some emphasis on GCSEs
UKCATVR - 580 (also concerned about this section. Will universities consider this as an anomaly? Especially if I can provide evidence of my English proficiency with my IELTS (8.0 overall) and IB English results?)AR - 770QR - 720SJT - Band 1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending