The Student Room Group

i want to study psychology

I have looked at other courses but I really want to do a psychology degree, but my problem is that I don't want to go on to do a doctorate which is needed for many careers involved in psychology. So is there any jobs that you don't need a doctorate for, but would still make use of a psychology degree ?
Reply 1
A better way might be to think about what kind of career you want. Psychology has many transferable skills and does open doors to jobs within the health and social care sector. But would your preferred career might benefit more from mental health nursing/social work/psychology or not even a degree. If you want to be a counsellor, for instance, you can find a course and qualify for less than the cost of one year at uni (including the additional costs like books, supervision and professional fees)
Original post by ~Tara~
A better way might be to think about what kind of career you want. Psychology has many transferable skills and does open doors to jobs within the health and social care sector. But would your preferred career might benefit more from mental health nursing/social work/psychology or not even a degree. If you want to be a counsellor, for instance, you can find a course and qualify for less than the cost of one year at uni (including the additional costs like books, supervision and professional fees)

Thanks, i did start to think about mental health nursing, but counselling sounds like something id enjoy and be better at
Reply 4
Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat in more depth. I recently qualified as a counsellor
Transferable skills are one of the myths of academia, you can get as many if not more in the real world. But a psychology degree will allow you to get onto any graduate scheme.
Original post by JamesManc
Transferable skills are one of the myths of academia, you can get as many if not more in the real world. But a psychology degree will allow you to get onto any graduate scheme.

That would very much depend on which parts of the real world you experience. Psychology teaches a lot of research, critical thinking and statistics skills which you'd be hard pressed to find in the real world, without first having obtained this previous knowledge.

Regarding the question, as Tara said, you should first work out more clearly what you want to do as a career. Psychology, by itself, is pretty useless. There are better courses for accessing graduate schemes and increasingly more targeted diplomas/degrees for the more niche areas of health care type work. Psychology offers a more rounded and robust theoretical grounding than many of those options though - for example, you'll not get the same research knowledge on a counselling course.

Quick Reply

Latest