The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Are UCL Student Houses well heated? (Duvet tog: 10.5 or 13.5)

I'm cold ALL the time
(edited 2 years ago)
Do you know which halls you are moving into yet? Temperatures are going to differ between halls because of the different kinds of building. I stayed in Ifor Evans Hall, which had a single glazed window and a gap in the window to prevent condensation so it did get a little breezy in the winter. Then again, it's energy rating is G, the worst. It could be worth looking up the energy usage of the hall you're moving into as an idea for how cold it might be.

https://platform.carbonculture.net/communities/ucl/30/apps/assets/list/place/

You'd probably want the 13 tog though.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by sarcasmrules
Do you know which halls you are moving into yet? Temperatures are going to differ between halls because of the different kinds of building. I stayed in Ifor Evans Hall, which had a single glazed window and a gap in the window to prevent condensation so it did get a little breezy in the winter. Then again, it's energy rating is G, the worst. It could be worth looking up the energy usage of the hall you're moving into as an idea for how cold it might be.

https://platform.carbonculture.net/communities/ucl/30/apps/assets/list/place/

You'd probably want the 13 tog though.

sarcasmrules, thanks for replying! The link you mentioned says that it has an energy rating of "G" What does that imply?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by madnuts
sarcasmrules, thanks for replying! I'll be moving into Hawkridge House. The link you mentioned says that it has an energy rating of "G" What does that imply? Do you have friends who stayed in Hawkridge, and any idea what the heating is like?

I was hoping to get a 10.5 so that the duvet might be more comfortable in the summer. But I don't wanna freeze in hell either.

The rating for Hawridge says F, not G. Which is still not great. It means it's not very energy efficient - i.e. it doesn't hold heat well.*

If it was me I'd just get the lighter tog and vary what I wear to bed depending on the temperature.*
Reply 4
Original post by madnuts
Hi! I'll be moving to London this September, and I shall be staying in one of the Student Houses at UCL. I am not used to very cold temperatures though, so I am confused about the which tog rating should I get for my duvet - 10.5 or 13.5?

I want one that would be comfortable the whole year though!

Also, the heaters operate between 7am to 11am and 4pm to 12midnight, from October to April. Any sorts of additional heaters are not permitted.
Recommendations, please? Also, from where could I get them for cheap?

Get a thinner duvet and buy a blanket - if it gets colder you can use the blanket on top of the duvet and when it's hotter you just use the duvet on its own

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending