Psychology 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh fab. I hope you really enjoy it xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
A* in psychology

Psya3 98
Psya4 87

Woop 😀
To anyone who got an A* in psychology, for your essays did you use methodological evaluation?

I was ill and as a consequence couldn't do my exams this year, so I'm doing them next year. I was told methodological evaluation, e.g evaluating sample and bias etc, was a waste of time.

I won't accept anything other than an A* so want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for next summer! :h:
Original post by A-LJLB
To anyone who got an A* in psychology, for your essays did you use methodological evaluation?

I was ill and as a consequence couldn't do my exams this year, so I'm doing them next year. I was told methodological evaluation, e.g evaluating sample and bias etc, was a waste of time.

I won't accept anything other than an A* so want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for next summer! :h:

Looks like someone's trying to get you a D grade...
Original post by patricio_miguel
Looks like someone's trying to get you a D grade...

All of my essays while at college were graded as A*, and everyone else in my college was told the same thing. I doubt they'd be D grades - I should also add my teacher was an examiner, so surely they cannot be telling us wrong?

Either way I was just curious as to what other students who achieved A*s did
(edited 7 years ago)
I got a B! Slightly disappointed as I wanted an A! But still happy :smile:
Original post by A-LJLB

Hey so, it is true that methodological evaluation is pointless, unless it is done effectively.

So if you literally write a paragraph after a piece of research stating it lacks internal/external validity or whatever with no comment afterwards that is useless.

What you need is simply a sentence or two which clearly indicates what impact this lack of validity has. So for example in bio explanations of SZ, there's a study by Falkai which claims SZs to have abnormally high levels of dopamine in their brains. But this study lacks internal validity because it was conducted on dead SZs who were taking antipsychotic drugs and therefore there may have extraneous variables which contributed to the high levels of dopamine (which Haracz points out). But when I wrote this paragraph I pointed out that the lack of internal validity reduces our confidence in generalising these findings to all SZs. This therefore weakens the credibility the dopamine explanation (and thus the bio explanation) has in accurately explaining how SZ develops.

So it's just a sentence or two at the end to explain the consequence of this methodological issue.

I'd only recommend doing this once per essay, and not all the time. Don't do it more than once as you are only getting marked if they have seen you've done it once I.e you're not getting additional marks for doing it three times.

I hope that helps and apologies for the long ass letter 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A-LJLB

In psya3 I used gender bias as evaluation but only if it was a key issue with the theory. I also only used points about sample size if it effected the statistical significance of the results so lowering the credit ability of the research.
In psya4 I used methodological evaluation more as I didn't use IDA's but only if they were relevant, so not just putting them in to make the essay longer, they had to make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Annettee
Hey so, it is true that methodological evaluation is pointless, unless it is done effectively.

So if you literally write a paragraph after a piece of research stating it lacks internal/external validity or whatever with no comment afterwards that is useless.

What you need is simply a sentence or two which clearly indicates what impact this lack of validity has. So for example in bio explanations of SZ, there's a study by Falkai which claims SZs to have abnormally high levels of dopamine in their brains. But this study lacks internal validity because it was conducted on dead SZs who were taking antipsychotic drugs and therefore there may have extraneous variables which contributed to the high levels of dopamine (which Haracz points out). But when I wrote this paragraph I pointed out that the lack of internal validity reduces our confidence in generalising these findings to all SZs. This therefore weakens the credibility the dopamine explanation (and thus the bio explanation) has in accurately explaining how SZ develops.

So it's just a sentence or two at the end to explain the consequence of this methodological issue.

I'd only recommend doing this once per essay, and not all the time. Don't do it more than once as you are only getting marked if they have seen you've done it once I.e you're not getting additional marks for doing it three times.

I hope that helps and apologies for the long ass letter 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Elle_w
In psya3 I used gender bias as evaluation but only if it was a key issue with the theory. I also only used points about sample size if it effected the statistical significance of the results so lowering the credit ability of the research.
In psya4 I used methodological evaluation more as I didn't use IDA's but only if they were relevant, so not just putting them in to make the essay longer, they had to make sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you both so much! I will keep this in mind!
I achieved A* in unit 4 and a low E in unit 3, almost a fail. confused as thought both exams went well and have been achieving A's up until yesterday . anyone else experienced this?
Original post by manic.high.girl
I achieved A* in unit 4 and a low E in unit 3, almost a fail. confused as thought both exams went well and have been achieving A's up until yesterday . anyone else experienced this?

Got an A in psay4 and a high C in psay3.. I have no idea how ? I was predicted an A/A* all along .. I'm 3 UMS from An A. Sent in my re mark yesterday praying I get the 2 marks for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just a quick question if you have a place at university is it worth getting one of your papers remarked if you are close to the next grade? I'm 2 UMS off 😞

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fox Corner
Ah congrats on getting into your firm! Which uni is it? :woo:

thank you! :biggrin: my firm was KCL to do history
Original post by Onica
That's still great and you did better than me anyway.

Where are you off to??

thank you :smile:, Kings to do history
Hey guys, hope you all got the grades you wanted :smile:
Does anybody know the UMS grade boundaries for all four units?
To anyone who got an A*!!???
I was predicted A* but my grade for PSYA3 came out as an A. I'm very happy but was expecting an A*, I memorised every essay word for word could not have revised more. Can someone please tell me what they did to get an A*?? I'm so curious as to what I could have done differently!! Thanks :smile:
Has anyone had any of their psychology papers re marked ? Have they gone up ? Please reply quick if you have xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im considering remarking PSYA4 but im still not sure. I got 63 ums which is a C. I was really disappointed because on PSYA3 i got an A - 90 ums
If anyone has got theres remarked please let us know asap
(edited 7 years ago)
After finishing AS with a C in Psychology i managed to get an ----- A* ----- at A2 and i literally cannot believe it!

I got 100% (100 UMS) in PSYA3 and
85 UMS in PSYA4 (which i thought i failed)

Retook PSYA2 and only managed to get 6 more UMS to 70 UMS (b)

Well done to everyone else for their results and i hope you got into your unis x

PS anyone resitting PSYA3 next year can take my model essays that i spent over a year making, they definitely helped 😭
Original post by Socychoictraphy
After finishing AS with a C in Psychology i managed to get an ----- A* ----- at A2 and i literally cannot believe it!

I got 100% (100 UMS) in PSYA3 and
85 UMS in PSYA4 (which i thought i failed)

Retook PSYA2 and only managed to get 6 more UMS to 70 UMS (b)

Well done to everyone else for their results and i hope you got into your unis x

PS anyone resitting PSYA3 next year can take my model essays that i spent over a year making, they definitely helped 😭

What topics did you do?

Congratulations on your result, that's incredible! :h:

Latest

Trending

Trending