The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by future_doctor_
Hello I really need your help!

Okay so I really want to apply to QMUL London but my AS results are 4 As (Maths, biology, chemistry, Economics) and 670 average UkCat.
Do you think I should still apply?

Thank you

Hi,

I'm starting at Barts in September and I had the same dilemma when I was applying.

It partly depends on your predicted grades which contribute a lot towards your UCAS tariff but since you got 4As (well done!) you'll probably be predicted highly. Also if you have music or drama qualifications, this can boost your tariff (unless the system has changed- I'm not sure if it has). The complete list of qualifications and their points is on the UCAS website.

If you really want to go to Barts and you meet the GCSE and A-level requirements, I would say go for it! I was quite anxious when applying since I had a UKCAT of 685 and a fairly low tariff of 500 (which was only based on grades as I hadn't done any music or drama stuff). I was pretty much convinced that I wouldn't get an interview but somehow I did so I guess my combined score was high enough for my year. You could also have a look at past tsr threads to see what sort of score is competitive and what lower scores people have got interviews with.

Barts could be your slightly risky option as long as you apply fairly strategically and methodically elsewhere to make sure you maximise your chances of getting into med school.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by 7me7
Hi,

I'm starting at Barts in September and I had the same dilemma when I was applying.

It partly depends on your predicted grades which contribute a lot towards your UCAS tariff but since you got 4As (well done!) you'll probably be predicted highly. Also if you have music or drama qualifications, this can boost your tariff (unless the system has changed- I'm not sure if it has). The complete list of qualifications and their points is on the UCAS website.

If you really want to go to Barts and you meet the GCSE and A-level requirements, I would say go for it! I was quite anxious when applying since I had a UKCAT of 685 and a fairly low tariff of 500 (which was only based on grades as I hadn't done any music or drama stuff). I was pretty much convinced that I wouldn't get an interview but somehow I did so I guess my combined score was high enough for my year. You could also have a look at past tsr threads to see what sort of score is competitive and what lower scores people have got interviews with.

Barts could be your slightly risky option as long as you apply fairly strategically and methodically elsewhere to make sure you maximise your chances of getting into med school.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you think 480 tariff and 793 UKCAT is good enough?
Reply 162
Original post by manlike99

That sounds pretty strong to me for Barts. Your UKCAT is incredible, well done!! But you'll probably want to get Will's advice too since he knows more people that got into Barts than I do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 7me7
That sounds pretty strong to me for Barts. Your UKCAT is incredible, well done!! But you'll probably want to get Will's advice too since he knows more people that got into Barts than I do!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Hey Will!

I'd also like to ask- how much patient contact do students get in phase 1 (year1/2) ?
Is it mostly community-based/ with GPs?

I'm sorry if someone has already asked this! I must've missed it. Whoops.
Thank you for being so helpful :smile:

Alexandra
Original post by Raymond-I-Legend
Hi Will,

Does Barts offer full cadaveric dissection?

Hi there,

It sure does! It's part of a student selected component and every student is guaranteed a place!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
Where it mentions the UCAS tariff, how many UCAS points are they looking for as I achieved AAAA today in my AS' and I don't know if I need more stuff to bumb up my points?

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

I'm not up to date on the latest policy in regards to UCAS tariff. However, those AS grades are certainly good enough. You can read more about medicine admissions here: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/A100/index.html
Barts love,
Will
Hello I really need your help!

Okay so I really want to apply to QMUL London but my AS results are 4 As (Maths, biology, chemistry, Economics) and 670 average UkCat.
Do you think I should still apply?

Thank you

Hi there, thanks for the questions.

You should absolutely still apply! You would be in with a great shot with those grades and UKCAT!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by 7me7
Hi,

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by 7me7

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:

Hi both,

It's great to see that you've both taken your choices seriously and have put a lot of thought into where you want to apply. Being strategic about your choices is so important to maximise your chances of getting in to Medical School.

A UKCAT of 793 is pretty phenomenal and that will obviously be in your favour. I agree with the previous post in that you stand a very good chance!

Thanks for your input '7me7' and I'll see you in September!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi both,

It's great to see that you've both taken your choices seriously and have put a lot of thought into where you want to apply. Being strategic about your choices is so important to maximise your chances of getting in to Medical School.

A UKCAT of 793 is pretty phenomenal and that will obviously be in your favour. I agree with the previous post in that you stand a very good chance!

Thanks for your input '7me7' and I'll see you in September!

Barts love,
Will

Thanks Will, I was also wondering whether the dropped AS level still counts as tariff points this year since some schools have chose not to do AS levels? Thanks
Thanks Will, I was also wondering whether the dropped AS level still counts as tariff points this year since some schools have chose not to do AS levels? Thanks

Hi there,

Since the system changed last year it's become a bit more complicated! I think you can cash an AS level if you only cash in three A levels. I'm not up to date with admissions policy so I can't know for sure. You should probably get in touch with admissions or read the small print on the website: 020 7882 8478. http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/A100/index.html

Barts love,
Will
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi there,

Since the system changed last year it's become a bit more complicated! I think you can cash an AS level if you only cash in three A levels. I'm not up to date with admissions policy so I can't know for sure. You should probably get in touch with admissions or read the small print on the website: 020 7882 8478. http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/A100/index.html

Barts love,
Will

Thanks a lot :smile:
Hi there, thanks for the questions.

You should absolutely still apply! You would be in with a great shot with those grades and UKCAT!

Barts love,
Will

This literally made me so happy since I love Barts so much, but are you sure I should still apply since my UkCat isn't very strong? I just really don't want to apply and not even get an interview :frown:

Thank you for all your help btw:h:
Reply 173
This literally made me so happy since I love Barts so much, but are you sure I should still apply since my UkCat isn't very strong? I just really don't want to apply and not even get an interview :frown:

I know this is directed at Will but if you really love Barts, I would go for it! I honestly get what you're feeling, I was in the same situation and almost didn't apply to Barts and I know I would have regretted that. Yes you might not get an interview but if Barts is your only risky option, I'd say it's worth the risk since you really want to go there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by 7me7
I know this is directed at Will but if you really love Barts, I would go for it! I honestly get what you're feeling, I was in the same situation and almost didn't apply to Barts and I know I would have regretted that. Yes you might not get an interview but if Barts is your only risky option, I'd say it's worth the risk since you really want to go there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree. If this is where you want to go make your application as strong as possible and go for it! You never know! -Sarah
Hey
I am planning to apply for 2017 entry A100 Medicine at Barts.
My stats are:
- GCSEs: 8A*s, 2 Distinction*s and 2 As
- As level: A in maths (96 ums average); other subjects are under new linear specification
- A2 predictions: hopefully A*A*A* and A/A* in EPQ
- UKCAT: 670 average

Would you say this is enough to get an interview at Barts?

Thanks in advance
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 176
Hi Will,

I was looking over the events for QM welcome week and the timetable for medical students and I saw that quite a few of the events clash with lectures. Is there any way to get around this apart from missing lectures; can the events be rearranged by the uni?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 177
Hi, do you know if QM's accepts A-level retakes for students applying to biomedical sciences? tried emailing but get no reply.
Thank you for your help
Is a UKCAT score of 676 competitive enough for Barts? Thank you
Hi Will,

I'm just wondering, is there some sort of bike sale at all at the beginning of the year? I think if I do apply and get in, I'd like to be able to cycle to and from the accommodation, so I was wondering if the university offered that, so I didn't have to specially buy an expensive new bike :smile:

Cheers!

Latest

Trending

Trending