The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by fa991
I wasn't told I was pooled until I called king's

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am an international applicant so I guess I will just email the college. Thanks for your help.
Original post by sweeneyrod
I've been accepted to Homerton, and received an email asking me for certified photocopies of my GCSE and AS certificates by 31st August. I have two problems with this: firstly, I might not be able to get signed copies of my GCSE certificates by then if my school is closed tomorrow; and secondly, I never had any AS certificates. Any suggestions? (I'm also emailing the Homerton admissions tutor, but I thought I'd post here too in case they take a long time to reply).

You can email and point out that you don't have AS certificates (we've heard this a lot this year). You will need GCSEs certificates though. If you can't get copies certified I'd just send the originals (recorded delivery if you're worried about losing them), unless you need them to apply for a visa but I'm guessing you're a UK student?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thatawesomekid
If I have only taken 2 AS's in Maths and philosophy, is avg UMS of those two combined looked at for a medical degree for 2017 admission?

You won't have UMs in reformed subjects in England. If you do have UMS we will look at them in module-by-module detail. Nothing is ever just reduced to an average - don't believe the myths!
Not sure if this is the right place to post this - so let me know if there's a better forum to post in!

Got A level results yesterday, got ABB, which isn't terrible, but was expecting AAB as I wanted to apply for physiotherapy in autumn :frown:
A couple of places do accept ABB grades (including St Georges which was always my favourite), but there aren't many. Is it worth just applying to 2/3 unis in the hope of getting a place there or should I find a different course with lower requirements?
Good luck all those in the Summer Pool. There are places to be had so fingers crossed.
Original post by Kugelmugel
Not sure if this is the right place to post this - so let me know if there's a better forum to post in!

Got A level results yesterday, got ABB, which isn't terrible, but was expecting AAB as I wanted to apply for physiotherapy in autumn :frown:
A couple of places do accept ABB grades (including St Georges which was always my favourite), but there aren't many. Is it worth just applying to 2/3 unis in the hope of getting a place there or should I find a different course with lower requirements?

Hi, I work at Cambridge so I can't answer your questions in detail. Are you resitting? You could contact some of the higher tariff universities you're interested in and ask how they'd view resits. You aren't required to use all the slots on the UCAS form and there's nothing wrong with only applying to 2 or 3 provided you're sure you like them and they seem achievable. You can only go to one uni so you only need one offer.

Physiotherapy is quite a vocational course so it's worth spending some time making sure you're certain it's what you want to do. I think plotr is a fantastic tool for this - it has a very detailed questionnaire and gives very accurate results (I've tried it out on me and my family and we all got results very very close to the actual careers we've all ended up in). The other side to this is that if you are 100% convinced on physiotherapy then you should do all you can to get there!

Good luck!
Original post by notyous
Hi, I have a question about 2017 admissions. Do you accept applications from people already in the first year of a degree?

This is always on a case-by-case basis. We don't usually consider people enrolled at another UK university and at Peterhouse we don't generally consider people studying a similar subject in their home country and we wouldn't consider a medicine applicant who already had a place on a medicine course anywhere in the world.

Every college may view things differently - email them with more details of your situation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Can I just give you an "official" thank you so much, for being around and available and active today. It really makes a difference to have actual Cambridge staff participating and assisting stressed applicants. And makes the job of TSR STs and SLs so much easier.

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome! :smile:

We know how stressful and emotional it can all be. We all get quite invested too, particularly in cases where we have applicants who we've seen in school, have come to our events/open days then the offer-holders open day or applicants who we know have had to overcome some seriously tough times. There's honestly quite a bit of air punching and excitement or swearing and disappointment when the results come in. I was lying awake on Wednesday night thinking of the people we couldn't confirm and hoping that they'd be ok and not too upset. It isn't us spouting clichés, we really do view each applicant as an individual and we're rooting for them!
Original post by Kugelmugel

This is a forum for University of Cambridge and they don't offer Physiotherapy course.
Maybe you can try this one.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1185
Reply 49
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
You're welcome! :smile:

We know how stressful and emotional it can all be. We all get quite invested too, particularly in cases where we have applicants who we've seen in school, have come to our events/open days then the offer-holders open day or applicants who we know have had to overcome some seriously tough times. There's honestly quite a bit of air punching and excitement or swearing and disappointment when the results come in. I was lying awake on Wednesday night thinking of the people we couldn't confirm and hoping that they'd be ok and not too upset. It isn't us spouting clichés, we really do view each applicant as an individual and we're rooting for them!

That's brilliant.

I can just imagine you, Christ's and LucyCav getting together and sharing TSR high fives!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can email and point out that you don't have AS certificates (we've heard this a lot this year). You will need GCSEs certificates though. If you can't get copies certified I'd just send the originals (recorded delivery if you're worried about losing them), unless you need them to apply for a visa but I'm guessing you're a UK student?

Yes, I'm a UK citizen. Thanks!
Original post by vincrows
This is a forum for University of Cambridge and they don't offer Physiotherapy course.
Maybe you can try this one.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1185

Ohhhh I totally didn't realise it was for Cambridge! I know they don't do physio haha :h:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Reply 52
Good luck all those in the Summer Pool. There are places to be had so fingers crossed.

How big is the summer pool? How many people/places are there, especially for maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fa991
How big is the summer pool? How many people/places are there, especially for maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is much smaller than the Winter Pool (a few hundred rather than 900ish) and about 25% of this is Maths. There isn't a set number of places - this depends on how many colleges are looking, how short of students they are (in all subjects) and who is in the pool. Colleges and the University can vary the number of students taken overall and taken in most subjects in response to the strength of candidates. Colleges would rather end up with a smaller year group than take a weak candidate* but success rates are generally higher than in the Winter Pool as colleges only Pool candidates who are realistic prospects for a place.

*So if you are fished you are meant to be at Cambridge - students from the Summer Pool or with waived conditions get the same results (no significant difference statistically) as those who met their offers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54

My fingers are very much crossed for the Summer Pool - if not however I am considering reapplying to Cambridge next year. I achieved overall the second highest exam grades in Scotland last year, and this year 3 A Band 1s (In Scotland these are much more difficult than A*s in England) and an A (in a subject which I was crashing and self-taught) at advanced higher, including 97% in pure maths. Despite this I was unwell at the time of my STEP exam and spectacularly failed to meet my potential and ended up with a U, hence my being pooled. If I was to reapply, would it be unwise to reapply to Peterhouse given that they asked me to do STEP first time round, and I failed to achieve the grade? And would the added experience of a gap year doing something productive and engineering related make a significant difference to the competitiveness of my application at Peterhouse or another college?
Original post by Gwenuin
My fingers are very much crossed for the Summer Pool - if not however I am considering reapplying to Cambridge next year. I achieved overall the second highest exam grades in Scotland last year, and this year 3 A Band 1s (In Scotland these are much more difficult than A*s in England) and an A (in a subject which I was crashing and self-taught) at advanced higher, including 97% in pure maths. Despite this I was unwell at the time of my STEP exam and spectacularly failed to meet my potential and ended up with a U, hence my being pooled. If I was to reapply, would it be unwise to reapply to Peterhouse given that they asked me to do STEP first time round, and I failed to achieve the grade? And would the added experience of a gap year doing something productive and engineering related make a significant difference to the competitiveness of my application at Peterhouse or another college?

The first thing is to wait and see how today goes. You should hopefully know the outcome of the Pool in the next 5 or 6 hours.

If this is unfortunate case where this is a rejection the next step is to stop and think very carefully about any other offers you hold before embarking on a gap year - do you want to wait a year with no guarantees of a place at Cambridge?

If you do go ahead and reapply, then finding something worthwhile to do will certainly help. In particular, there can be concerns that candidates can lose their mathematical 'edge' if they're not regularly doing maths problems. In terms of where to reapply, the decision is yours. If you were to reapply elsewhere then you would have a completely clear slate. Whilst you would have to declare your STEP result, different colleges have different opinions on how important STEP is for Engineering so I'd advise you to contact some other colleges and ask how they'd view your application.

Good luck!
Hello. I am thinking to study economics at Cambridge. I got my as results yesterday and got As in bio chem econ and furthermaths. I got an 87 UMS average in maths, which is on the lower side. Would you still say it is worth applying to Cambridge with this score, or would this result make it difficult to even get an interview?
I'm from Italy, this year I applied for 4 universities with ucas for computer science.

1. UCL (x)
2. Edingburgh (x)
3. Glasgow (conditional offer)
4. University of Manchester (conditional offer)

I got rejected from UCL and Edinburgh, becuase they believed I couldn't get required marks (actually my school refused to provide the predicted grades, so I had to send the grades I obtained in the last term of the previous year), Glasgow and Uni of Manchester gave me a conditional offer.

I did the exams for my "diploma di maturità" (A-level) a month ago and got 100/100 (maximum possibile I think it's equivalent to A*)

My question is, should I waste a year and try to apply the next year for Cambridge? Is there 50/50 chance?

I've already contacted Oxford, Imperial and Cambrigde, their requirment is minimum 98/100 so it should be fine for me, Oxford asked me for my math exams (I got 9/10) and in IETS overall of 7.5

What if I start the 2016-17 session in of the two universities (Manchester or Glasgow) and apply for the 2017-18 session in Oxford, Cambridge or any other Top university starting from the year one again? Would it be possible? there will be less chances?

Thank you!
Original post by ravenclaw411
Hello. I am thinking to study economics at Cambridge. I got my as results yesterday and got As in bio chem econ and furthermaths. I got an 87 UMS average in maths, which is on the lower side. Would you still say it is worth applying to Cambridge with this score, or would this result make it difficult to even get an interview?

I think @Christ's Admissions might be better placed to help ( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242). He's wading in the Pool at the moment but will be back later I think.
Original post by Abdulzeedo
I'm from Italy, this year I applied for 4 universities with ucas for computer science.

1. UCL (x)
2. Edingburgh (x)
3. Glasgow (conditional offer)
4. University of Manchester (conditional offer)

I got rejected from UCL and Edinburgh, becuase they believed I couldn't get required marks (actually my school refused to provide the predicted grades, so I had to send the grades I obtained in the last term of the previous year), Glasgow and Uni of Manchester gave me a conditional offer.

I did the exams for my "diploma di maturità" (A-level) a month ago and got 100/100 (maximum possibile I think it's equivalent to A*)

My question is, should I waste a year and try to apply the next year for Cambridge? Is there 50/50 chance?

I've already contacted Oxford, Imperial and Cambrigde, their requirment is minimum 98/100 so it should be fine for me, Oxford asked me for my math exams (I got 9/10) and in IETS overall of 7.5

What if I start the 2016-17 session in of the two universities (Manchester or Glasgow) and apply for the 2017-18 session in Oxford, Cambridge or any other Top university starting from the year one again? Would it be possible? there will be less chances?

Thank you!

Think very carefully before turning down any offers you hold, particularly if you'd be 'wasting' a year to reapply without something worthwhile to do. Which route into Computer Science are you interested in? I can't say without more information on your entire application but just statistically I think 50/50 is (ever so) slightly optimistic - in the past, A level students need close to 100% (and certainly 100% in maths) to have around a 50/50 chance. Gap years can be a concern in very mathematical subject like CompSci (especially if CompSci with Maths) unless you're regularly doing hard maths problems.

We don't usually consider applicants studying at other UK universities, particularly if they're doing a very similar course, as we don't want to be poaching students. If you did apply, there wouldn't be any way of transferring credit and you'd have to start our course in year 1. Any such application would need the full support of your present university course director.
(edited 7 years ago)