The Student Room Group

Is it a turn-off/deal breaker if a girl lives with her family?

Hello, I'm a student in my mid 20s going to have to move in with my in London family temporarily from September until Christmas. When I say family I do not mean parents I mean extended family members.

I wanted to start dating and finding a relationship but I worry that living with my family makes me very unattractive in the dating market.

Should I wait until I move to my own place after christmas to try and meet someone?

The problem is I feel I'm not getting any younger, truthfully speaking I'm quite lonely and I've never had a relationship before.

Thoughts?
Reply 1
It's nothing you should really worry about, maybe finding someone will allow you to move out and get your own place but if you find the right person they are not gonna be bothered if you live with your family.
Personally, it depends on the circumstances.

If they live at home because they're too dependent on their parents then it's a massive deal-breaker for me. When someone's an adult I expect independence.

BUT, house prices and rent aren't cheap. I think the average person lives at home to about 30 now or something? As long as they're actively working towards independence then I don't mind at all, regardless of how long it takes.

You're the latter. If you explain it to potential dates they should understand this. We all progress differently in life. :smile:
Reply 3
Why is it being dependent when you save a ton of money by living at home?
Original post by inhuman
Why is it being dependent when you save a ton of money by living at home?

Not sure I explained myself properly or you didn't understand. :smile:What I'm trying to say is if a woman simply lives with her parents because it's "easier" (they do their chores, provide food etc), then that to me screams of a lack of independence/strong reliability on other people. In one of my self-help books there's an example of a woman who spent so much time reliant on her parents, and then subsequently her partner, that when her relationship ended and she was living alone she did not know how to shop for anything for herself. If someone can look after themselves and is living with their parents to save money for their own place to live, then that's perfectly fine.

I answered the thread title as opposed to OP's specific questions her posting. In her scenario it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me personally, and I can't imagine it would be for too many people either.
Wouldn't care at all.

I think people who live at home to save money are better than people who rushed out and live in a *****y rented flat which stinks of sweat and piss because apparently they're gaining ''valuable life experience''.
There's nothing wrong with living at home. :smile:
Reply 7
Ah I understand now. I guess depends on culture, too. But how could you judge which applies to someone living at home?

I certainly enjoy the benefits of still living at home.
Original post by inhuman
Ah I understand now. I guess depends on culture, too. But how could you judge which applies to someone living at home?

I certainly enjoy the benefits of still living at home.

I live at home so right now I'm not in a position to be picky, but I am working towards things. It's why I wouldn't write off any girl at my uni who lives at home, because we're both in similar positions. I'm thinking about future me, here. :smile:
Reply 9
I live at home, too :wink:

Fully understand that. I am saving for buy a flat til when my gf moves here :smile:

I like people who think of their future self :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending