The Student Room Group

XeCl3 - dot and cross diagram

Hi guys,

Just wondering whether anyone could help as I've been stuck on this for a while. I've been asked to draw the dot and cross diagram of the anion XeCl3 -

Thanks in advance for any help!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
What have you tried?
Reply 2
Original post by alow
What have you tried?

I put the Xe atom in the middle with one electron and put the three Cl's around the Xe each with 7 electrons in their outer shell, I tried various arrangements of the seven electrons in each of the Cls, I tried single dative bonds, covalent double bonds etc and I also tried Xe2Cl6 -2 but I couldn't get all the atoms to have full outer shells
Reply 3
Try one dative bond and two normal covalent bonds.

Dot and cross diagrams are not going to be very good at representing Xe compounds, don't expect there to be a "full shell" of electrons around the Xenon, just make sure it's not a radical.
Reply 4
Original post by alow
Try one dative bond and two normal covalent bonds.

Dot and cross diagrams are not going to be very good at representing Xe compounds, don't expect there to be a "full shell" of electrons around the Xenon, just make sure it's not a radical.

How do I go about the two normal bonds when Xe only has one electron?
Reply 5
Xe has 8.
Reply 6
It doesn't have your ion, but the videos for the various other species do explain how to do this sort rather well.

I'd suggest watching a few of them as a bit of repetition makes it all make sense rather quickly.

http://www.kentchemistry.com/links/bonding/lewisdotstruct.htm

w00t
Reply 7
One of the Cls is effectively charged, not the Xe. It's a lot easier to add an electron to a halogen than a noble gas.
Reply 8
I know this is from a long time but how can the chlorine have a negative charge. I know it has gained an electron but where from
Original post by WWEKANE
I know this is from a long time but how can the chlorine have a negative charge. I know it has gained an electron but where from

Xe has an expanded octet with 6 pairs, three of which are used for bonding chlorine and there are 3 lone pairs.

Quick Reply

Latest