The Student Room Group

Student Finance: on a scale of 1-10 how ****ed am I?

Ok so I'm starting university on 26th September.

I never received my national insurance number for some reason then I realised I needed it to apply to student finance

So i talked to HMRC about it and they sent me a form, I filled it out and sent it back first class a week ago.

Now I find out it will take up to 4 weeks to get my number! How long does student finance take to be sorted? Will I be able to start uni then? How will I cope?

Advice plz tnx
Hello. I'm surprised you were not issued with one when you were 16. I know my son was. Are your sure you were NOT given one? This would seem to be very sloppy on behalf of HMRC.
Reply 2
Original post by z33
Ok so I'm starting university on 26th September.

I never received my national insurance number for some reason then I realised I needed it to apply to student finance

So i talked to HMRC about it and they sent me a form, I filled it out and sent it back first class a week ago.

Now I find out it will take up to 4 weeks to get my number! How long does student finance take to be sorted? Will I be able to start uni then? How will I cope?

Advice plz tnx

You'll be able to start uni, but your loan won't arrive for the start of term. It might not arrive until around December or so.

You'll be able to get a student overdraft, which will give you some money to use. You'll need to speak to your uni about tuition fees and accommodation fees, as you won't be able to pay for them by the usual deadline - you'll need to show them proof that you applied for the loan, and hopefully they will be patient.
Reply 3
Original post by markova21
Hello. I'm surprised you were not issued with one when you were 16. I know my son was. Are your sure you were NOT given one? This would seem to be very sloppy on behalf of HMRC.

Yuppp never got one
I got a letter saying "ohhh youve turned 16 now we'll send you a national insurance no" and then nothing

Even when i called them they said they didnt have anything under my name

My younger bro got one as well :/ so weird
Reply 4
Original post by Juno
You'll be able to start uni, but your loan won't arrive for the start of term. It might not arrive until around December or so.

You'll be able to get a student overdraft, which will give you some money to use. You'll need to speak to your uni about tuition fees and accommodation fees, as you won't be able to pay for them by the usual deadline - you'll need to show them proof that you applied for the loan, and hopefully they will be patient.

December?!!! :eek: ****... i didnt even think i was going to uni this year. I didnt apply and so decided to apply straight into clearing just as an option and got offers today.

But ok ill talk to the staff on an open day and see what they say thank you!
Also with an overdraft do you pay it back as soon as your loan comes in? I dont wanna pile debt on.
Reply 5
Original post by z33
December?!!! :eek: ****... i didnt even think i was going to uni this year. I didnt apply and so decided to apply straight into clearing just as an option and got offers today.

But ok ill talk to the staff on an open day and see what they say thank you!
Also with an overdraft do you pay it back as soon as your loan comes in? I dont wanna pile debt on.

December is the worst case scenario. It will hopefully be much earlier, but it's impossible to predict.

An overdraft is just extending the money available to you. Instead of being able to take your bank balance down to £0, you can now go all the way down to £-1000 (or whatever your limit is). So if your balance was £0 and you add £50, you'll have £50 in your account. If you then withdraw the £50 you technically have no money - but you still have your overdraft, so then can withdraw more money if you like.
When more money goes in, it increases your balance. So it would pay off the overdraft, but the overdraft money is still available if you need it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending