The Student Room Group

A Level Results: Post Your Results (AS)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abstract_Prism
So far the only people in this thread I've seen get straight A's have been the ones who've done Maths/Science. Anyone done humanities and got straight A's?

I did! I didn't do a single science, I did 2 Englishes, History and Classics and got high As in all of them :smile:
Original post by ImagineCats
Not bad, my predictions were spot on! BCD in geog, German, and bio but it's enough to apply for genetics :h: I'll get that up to AAC next year BRING IT ON

Nice attitude :h:
Hi guys, I have a question I'm hoping someone will be able to answer.

I took a mixture of reformed and non-reformed A-Levels but sat AS exams for all of them this year. On UCAS, I know I declare the non-reformed ones as their own AS as well as part of the A2, but am I meant to add the new AS? Is that even a qualification, as it doesn't count towards A2 and I'm taking it on?

I'm also required to put module grades down, but with my reformed English Lit. grade I didn't receive individual module grades, but with History I did!?

Thank you and hope that makes sense!
Reply 483
wanted
ABB
expected
ABD
achieved
BCC

Psychology B
Business Studies C
English Language C

Comments and reactions
I am happy that I have at least passed my exams. But I can't help but feel disappointed with psychology I really wanted an A as i revised so hard for it. Business I would of liked a B in but i'm aware where i went wrong which is the first paper, and english I'm shocked tbh i honestly felt as if i did so bad.
Future ambitions
I'm hoping to study Psychology and Economics at either Exeter, Glasgow, Sussex (Edinburgh would of been on the list but they have the requirement of doing A-Level Maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
So, A level maths, does anyone know how many UMS marks are needed altogether in AS and A2 to get an A*? I got 256 UMS marks in AS and want to know what I have to get next year in A2 to achieve an A*.
Original post by BlackthornRose
So, A level maths, does anyone know how many UMS marks are needed altogether in AS and A2 to get an A*? I got 256 UMS marks in AS and want to know what I have to get next year in A2 to achieve an A*.

I'm assuming you're talking about Edexcel? For them you need 480/600 UMS overall to get an A, then on top of that you have to average 90 UMS on C3 and C4 to get an A*. This means that you can get an A* with only 480 UMS if you do well enough on C3 and C4, alternatively you could get like 550/600 and still only get an A. Hope this helps.
Results

English Literature: Predicted B / Achieved A

English Language: Predicted B / Achieved A

History: Predicted B / Achieved B

Theatre: Predicted C / Achieved B

Comments and reactions
I am absolutely ecstatic with my results, I didn't think that History or English Language went well at all and was convinced I was going to get D's in both of them! My hopeful predictions after exams were BBCC and I even wrote a letter to myself apologising for my results! I am absolutely blown away, but also incredibly proud of myself and motivated to do better next year! (I dropped Theatre btw if anyone was interested.)
Future ambitions
English Literature with Creative Writing at Surrey University !!!!!!!!! AHHHH I am so ready to go and do this !!
Original post by matt.thorne10
I'm assuming you're talking about Edexcel? For them you need 480/600 UMS overall to get an A, then on top of that you have to average 90 UMS on C3 and C4 to get an A*. This means that you can get an A* with only 480 UMS if you do well enough on C3 and C4, alternatively you could get like 550/600 and still only get an A. Hope this helps.

So so far I hav about 257 ums in my AS . 180 ums is needed across c3 and 4 . So that's 437 so I would only need 43 ums in my third A2 unit to get an A*??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
So so far I hav about 257 ums in my AS . 180 ums is needed across c3 and 4 . So that's 437 so I would only need 43 ums in my third A2 unit to get an A*??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that's right yeah, which is quite funny because this means if I get 90 average in C3 and 4, then I could just not turn up to my 6th paper, get 0, but still get an A* haha. The system seems a bit broken but I'll take it :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I think that's right yeah, which is quite funny because this means if I get 90 average in C3 and 4, then I could just not turn up to my 6th paper, get 0, but still get an A* haha. The system seems a bit broken but I'll take it :smile:

Same damn hopefully i can get that in D1 has anybody done D1 if so what do you guys think of it and any tips

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same damn hopefully i can get that in D1 has anybody done D1 if so what do you guys think of it and any tips

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did D1 this year and got 100 UMS. The thing with D1 is that you learn algorithms, which never change, practice them over and over until they become second nature, then do the same on the real paper, and boom full UMS. Genuinely the best piece of advice I could give is to prepare for it properly even when it becomes boring and/or easy.
Original post by MJ6987
What are the "Module Marks"?

My daughter has just had her AS results (still count 50% of her A Levels in Wales) and we were expecting to see "raw score" or "UMS" but it only has "Module Mark" I.e.

Government and Politics: Grade A (Module Mark 190 / 200 across the two papers, 98 + 92)

Geography: Grade A (Module Mark 177 / 200 ditto, 92 + 85)

Law: Grade A (Module Mark 166 / 200 ditto, 94 + 72)

(Predicted 3 A's)

She can see she's got 3 A's, which is good, but she wants to know how good!?

She's thinking of resisting the 72 in Law 1 as this was normally her best subject.

I'm a mummy too! 16 year old son got 5 x A grade at AS - Spanish, French Marine Science, Biology and Chemistry. We live in Spain so he took A2 Spanish a year early A*.
Apart from Marine Science they were all Edexcel. I can see the UMS e.g. Chemistry 240 UMS = A grade - my son got 281 UMS. However, I can't see the breakdown of the results per unit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did D1 this year and got 100 UMS. The thing with D1 is that you learn algorithms, which never change, practice them over and over until they become second nature, then do the same on the real paper, and boom full UMS. Genuinely the best piece of advice I could give is to prepare for it properly even when it becomes boring and/or easy.

Thanks so much for the advice will Defo do that so I can guarantee that A* although will b focusing on c3 and 4 of course because those are the important ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! Join the 300/300 Maths club :biggrin:
I'm applying to Cambridge too, but for Economics. How did you find M2 this year? Thought it was reasonably (this is Edexcel btw).

I did m1, s1 and d1, on OCR, so I can't comment at all about how M2 was
Original post by blue2337
I did! I didn't do a single science, I did 2 Englishes, History and Classics and got high As in all of them :smile:

Very nice!

What will you be doing in the future?
Reply 495
Original post by BEARichards
WELL DONE ON YOUR AMAZING RESULTS EVERYONE!
Here are my results
-FRENCH: Predicted by teachers: A / Predicted by me: A / Actual result: A (I got 100%! So happy!)
-SPANISH: Predicted by teachers: A / Predicted by me: B / Actual result: A
-GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS: Predicted by teachers: B / Predicted by me: C / Actual result: A !! (I got 98% in this which really surprised me!)

I'm so happy, I've had a really tricky year so AAA was such an achievement! I'm dropping politics next year so I will be doing French, Spanish and Psychology (it's linear so all exams are next year!)

damn are you french? lol
Results

English Literature: Predicted B / Achieved A

Sociology: Predicted B / Achieved A

Government and Poltics: Predicted C / Achieved A

Psychology: Predicted B / Achieved B

EPQ: Predicted A / Achieved A

Comments and reactions
Happy with it all (especially English which was HUGELY unexpected)

Future ambitions
These are my AS results but I hope to do Psychology :smile:
Results

Maths: no prediction / Achieved A

General Studies: no prediction / Achieved C

Comments and reactions
I am deeply satisfied.

Future ambitions
Carry on studying A Levels?
D1 is not very Mathsy. There are 4 mark questions for putting a list of numbers into an order. The hardest bit is graphical inequalities with a silly level of contextual depth. The boundaries are usually very high though.
Results

Creative Writing: Predicted A / Achieved A (76 UMS/80 for CREW1:woo:)

Government & Politics: Predicted B / Achieved A

Sociology: Predicted A / Achieved A

Comments and reactions
So happy! We weren't given any predictions at my college so those are just what I thought I'd get. Surprised I did better in GOVP2 than GOVP1 considering I found the former far, far more difficult...

Future ambitions
I really don't know... I keep changing my mind on university courses; I'm really struggling to find one I enjoy. I've done lots of research but nothing's really grabbing me. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest