The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

In the exam do we get earphones or headphones?
Reply 2661
Original post by Pra99
In the exam do we get earphones or headphones?

I was given a headset and some ear plugs. Personally, I didn't want to try anything new so just used the headset. They work ok i guess.... but the problem with my test centre was that there was construction going on outside and the headset wasn't very good at blocking that out ! :angry:
Original post by adrian1998
Here's wt i got
Medify mock 1
VR 650
QR 800
AR 770

Real exam
VR 570
QR 900
AR 870

Oh wow so you generally improved a lot apart from verbal! That's a good sign! Congrats on your score btw! :smile:
Original post by isabella1999
Oh wow so you generally improved a lot apart from verbal! That's a good sign! Congrats on your score btw! :smile:

What score did you get in Medify 3? I havent done it yet but I was just wondering if it was harder than the first 2.
Hi Guys!
I've just done my UKCAT and got:
VR-720
QR-800
AR-750
SJ-Band 2

I'm applying for graduate entry medicine and am predicted a first in my current degree. Is my UKCAT good enough for uni's such as warwick, barts and newcastle that put a lot of weight on UKCAT?

Also, if anyone wants any advice for UKCAT just let me know!*
Hi guys,
I've just done my UKCAT and got;
VR-720
QR-800
AR-750
SJ-Band 2

Im applying for graduate entry medicine and am wondering if my score is good enough for UKCAT heavy universities like warwick, barts and newcastle?

Also, if anyone wants any advice just let me know :smile:*
I just did my UKCAT,

I got
VR 570
QR 740
AR 650

Average 653.
SJ band 2

Which universities is this good enough for? I'd like to apply to the higher ranking universities because my GCSE and AS grades are high, but I'm not too sure if this is good enough for Newcastle. I was thinking Edinburgh, Sheffield, and St. Andrews. I've seen the UKCAT requirements for all of these but I was just wondering what your opinions are on this.

Thanks
Original post by Natalierm2707
590?? You would have to confirm with newcastle, I am going off the medicine cut offs and it sure wasnt 590, it was somewhere in the high 600s, but dentisrty (if that is what your applying for) will have different cut offs.

All universities now require the UKCAT or BMAT for entry, but some do not use it as heavily. The issue with these schools though is because they dont use the UKCAT much they rely really heavily on another factor for selection:
Cardiff: rely on really high GCSE score (mostly A* grades if not all).
Birmingham: rely on really high GCSE score (mostly A* grades)
QUB: rely on really high GCSE score.
Bristol: rely on personal statement
Sheffield: have a cut off of 1800 but then rely heavily on the personal statement.
Keele: exclude SJT band 4 and the bottom 20% of UKCAT scores. After this they rely heavily on the R&R form which requires a lot of work experience and voluntary work.

Obviously all BMAT schools are open for consideration if you meet their requirements.

After attending the open day for Sheffield, their UKCAT cut off is 680 for 2017. They are not looking at all at personal statement this year, as I quote "they are all too generic."
I'm sitting my UKCAT in two weeks and QR is still definitely my weakest section. I've been practicing a lot but I don't feel I'm getting better and many people here seem to be doing well in QR. Anyone got any tips?
I got 775 average over 4 sections and Band 1 SJ last year. Happy to give advice.
Original post by Uni12345678
I just did my UKCAT,

I got
VR 570
QR 740
AR 650

Average 653.
SJ band 2

Which universities is this good enough for? I'd like to apply to the higher ranking universities because my GCSE and AS grades are high, but I'm not too sure if this is good enough for Newcastle. I was thinking Edinburgh, Sheffield, and St. Andrews. I've seen the UKCAT requirements for all of these but I was just wondering what your opinions are on this.

Thanks

Well done on your result, can i ask how u were doing in the mocks running up to this and what each section compares to?
Sorry, I'm sure this has been answered already but I'm really confused about the difficulty on Medify, the UKCAT online tests and the 1000/600 Qs book compared to the real exam.

How is the difficulty per subtest? What resource is the most similar to the exam?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pooji11
I'm sitting my UKCAT in two weeks and QR is still definitely my weakest section. I've been practicing a lot but I don't feel I'm getting better and many people here seem to be doing well in QR. Anyone got any tips?

On Medify I was averaging between 570 and 650 and got 830 in it on the day. This was way higher than I was expecting, but I did a lot of practice just by doing timed practice on the Medify questions over and over again. Also I found the questions easier on the whole on the day :smile: keep an eye on the time but focus on getting the questions you complete right, not on finishing every question. My average was 713 (my VR let me down) with a band 1 in SJ, and I think this is a half decent score? :smile:
Original post by ipanda99
Sorry, I'm sure this has been answered already but I'm really confused about the difficulty on Medify, the UKCAT online tests and the 1000/600 Qs book compared to the real exam.

How is the difficulty per subtest? What resource is the most similar to the exam?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found generally the exam was easier for all sections overall!
including SJT! in mocks i never got band 1 ever but in the real thing i did!
Original post by clairebear101
Well done on your result, can i ask how u were doing in the mocks running up to this and what each section compares to?

Thanks!
Okay so I did medify mocks, Kaplan, and the official mocks.
My highest average I ever got was 670, after 3/4 weeks of preparation, so I knew I wasn't going to get over 700 because I just didn't feel like it was possible for me and hence I didn't bother rescheduling since it would take time out of more important work.
Verbal reasoning, is about the same as medify, and Kaplan. The official tests are more difficult. My score was on the lower end of what I usually got in mocks but to be fair i think I messed up in the exam so I was lucky to get that score.
Quantitative reasoning was much much easier, the score I got was the highest I've ever had.
Abstract was harder for me, but again I feel like it was my performance on the day. I've seen easier patterns in exams I've done in the past so I once got 830 on abstract but got 650 in the real thing.
Situational was pretty much the same.
Good luck
Original post by Pra99
What score did you get in Medify 3? I havent done it yet but I was just wondering if it was harder than the first 2.

I got 689 average so not great... Medify 1 was still my best
Original post by clairebear101

Also I'd say please don't stress about the difficulty levels, no section is actually harder than anything online. It's either equal or easier , definitely easier in the case of qr, don't stress about it and just keep working :smile:
Original post by dairychocolate
I got 775 average over 4 sections and Band 1 SJ last year. Happy to give advice.

Wow well done! How did you manage to do quantitive in the time given? I struggle with it, mostly get right answers but take like 20 seconds longer per set than youre supposed to :frown:
Original post by sportfanatic
Hi Guys!
I've just done my UKCAT and got:
VR-720
QR-800
AR-750
SJ-Band 2

I'm applying for graduate entry medicine and am predicted a first in my current degree. Is my UKCAT good enough for uni's such as warwick, barts and newcastle that put a lot of weight on UKCAT?

Also, if anyone wants any advice for UKCAT just let me know!*

Hey, that is a great score and Barts and Warwick are very much on your table. I don't know the cut offs for Newcastle so I can't comment on that.

May I ask what helped you achieve 720 in VR? were the passages longer compared to medify?
Original post by erinls2
On Medify I was averaging between 570 and 650 and got 830 in it on the day. This was way higher than I was expecting, but I did a lot of practice just by doing timed practice on the Medify questions over and over again. Also I found the questions easier on the whole on the day :smile: keep an eye on the time but focus on getting the questions you complete right, not on finishing every question. My average was 713 (my VR let me down) with a band 1 in SJ, and I think this is a half decent score? :smile:

Wow that's an amazing score!!! Thanks I'll try out Medify! I really hope it's easier on the day. If you don't mind me asking what unis do you want to apply to? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending