The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford university as a post A-level student

Am I likely to be rejected by Oxford if I apply for a course with entry requirements A*AA, but achieved A*A*B?
Baring in mind that the course I want to do is maths with computer science, and both of the A*'s are in maths and further maths.

I know you won't be able to give me a definite yes or no answer, but I'd like to see what the majority of people think before I make my decision, as I don't want to waste my time.

Thank you.
Original post by SamDavies1998
Am I likely to be rejected by Oxford if I apply for a course with entry requirements A*AA, but achieved A*A*B?
Baring in mind that the course I want to do is maths with computer science, and both of the A*'s are in maths and further maths.

I know you won't be able to give me a definite yes or no answer, but I'd like to see what the majority of people think before I make my decision, as I don't want to waste my time.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, as Oxford (I think) don't use the UCAS points system, A*A*B is technically missing the A*AA entrance requirement. However, you should definitely consider contacting admissions directly who will be able to give better help, as I imagine it wouldn't be completely unknown for acceptances to happen in similar circumstances.
Original post by brendan.
Unfortunately, as Oxford (I think) don't use the UCAS points system, A*A*B is technically missing the A*AA entrance requirement. However, you should definitely consider contacting admissions directly who will be able to give better help, as I imagine it wouldn't be completely unknown for acceptances to happen in similar circumstances.

I'll do exactly that then. Thank you :smile:
That counts as missing your offer. It would be up to their discretion as to whether they let you in or not.

Whether that is likely or not I do not know. Probably depends on year.
Reply 4
I'm gonna hijack this thread a bit because it's relevant to my question.

I'm pretty surprised with myself after results yesterday (I managed to pull of A*A*A) and it has renewed my interest in Oxford. Spanish and Linguistics there would probably be my ideal course with entry requirements AAA. I've done some admissions test practice before and did fairly well, and have done a practice interview before. So, I was wondering whether anyone thinks reapplying would be a good idea or not (considering I've already met my firm offer at Durham for Spanish), and whether anyone else has any similar experience.
Original post by billyt
I'm gonna hijack this thread a bit because it's relevant to my question.

I'm pretty surprised with myself after results yesterday (I managed to pull of A*A*A) and it has renewed my interest in Oxford. Spanish and Linguistics there would probably be my ideal course with entry requirements AAA. I've done some admissions test practice before and did fairly well, and have done a practice interview before. So, I was wondering whether anyone thinks reapplying would be a good idea or not (considering I've already met my firm offer at Durham for Spanish), and whether anyone else has any similar experience.

I think it really depends on whether you'd be happy about taking a whole year off if you didn't end up getting in. Would you be perfectly happy at Durham and is the course there attractive? Or do you prefer Oxford's course so much more that you're happy to take a whole year out? You'd need to plan to spend time in a Spanish speaking country if you do take a gap year.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending