The Student Room Group

HELP!! My future plans maybe ruined

I am an AS student. I really want to study maths at a "decent" university but the results I received today may have ruined it. The 4 unis that I wouldn't mind going to are Manchester, Surrey, Bath and Nottingham. Their typical offers for 2017 entry are A*AA-AAA where an A must be achieved in A Level Maths.

I went into college expecting my AS grades to be AABC respectively in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. This was so that my teachers could justly predict A*(A*/A)A respectively in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry for my final A Level grade in the subjects. To my dissapointment and shock I got AADC :frown:. The D grade in Chemistry is really ticking me off :angry:. I don't want to do Physics this September as I genuinely find Chemistry easier. I honestly was expecting a B:colonhash:. I assume that If I were to take Chemistry as an A2 subject the highest my teachers could predict is a B ; I honestly don't think this will be good enough for any of the Universities I am aspiring to get into. Really really annoyed:angry::frown:. How bad is my situation? PLEASE I NEED SOME ADVICE!!!! :frown::frown::frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
You call that screwed?!!?
I got:
Chemistry - B (linear)
Biology - C (linear)
Geography - C
Maths - E (dropping from the start anyway)
My dentistry dreams are dead af.
My situation is a mess too!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
I am an AS student. I really want to study maths at a "decent" university but the results I received today may have ruined it. The 4 unis that I wouldn't mind going to are Manchester, Surrey, Bath and Nottingham. Their typical offers for 2017 entry are A*AA-AAA where an A must be achieved in A Level Maths.

I went into college expecting my AS grades to be AABC respectively in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. This was so that my teachers could justly predict A*(A*/A)A respectively in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry for my final A Level grade in the subjects. To my dissapointment and shock I got AADC :frown::s-smilie::colonhash:. The D grade in Chemistry is really ticking me off :angry:. I don't want to do Physics this September as I genuinely find Chemistry easier. I honestly was expecting a B:colonhash:. I assume that If I were to take Chemistry as an A2 subject the highest my teachers could predict is a B ; I honestly don't think this will be good enough for any of the Universities I am aspiring to get into. Really really annoyed:angry::frown:. How bad is my situation? PLEASE I NEED SOME ADVICE!!!! :frown::frown::frown:

The AA is very strong.

My personal advice I would be to drop Chemistry even if you think you are better at it. At A2 it is notoriously difficult. Physics is just mathematics in a dress. Retake the physics modules. Smash it in the 2nd year.

Plus, Maths, FM, Physics is more attractive to a uni maths department.

I would speak to your physics/chemistry teachers and ask them if they would predict you A for A2 if you worked your arse off.

I wouldn't be so attached to chemistry though. That third subject only a path to an A to get you into a top uni. If you can get an A in maths and FM, an A in physics should be easy as long as you smash your exam practice.

Best of luck,

SS

I went into college expecting my AS grades to be AABC respectively in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. This was so that my teachers could justly predict A*(A*/A)A respectively in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry for my final A Level grade in the subjects. To my dissapointment and shock I got AADC :frown::s-smilie::colonhash:. The D grade in Chemistry is really ticking me off :angry:. I don't want to do Physics this September as I genuinely find Chemistry easier. I honestly was expecting a B:colonhash:. I assume that If I were to take Chemistry as an A2 subject the highest my teachers could predict is a B ; I honestly don't think this will be good enough for any of the Universities I am aspiring to get into. Really really annoyed:angry::frown:. How bad is my situation? PLEASE I NEED SOME ADVICE!!!! :frown::frown::frown:

F*ck you, that isn't bad
Original post by ColorMiKiki
I got:
Chemistry - B (linear)
Biology - C (linear)
Geography - C

I am sorry to hear that.The new linear science specs have no chill and OCR (my exam board) took the piss with the grade boundaries :angry:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Supersaps
The AA is very strong.

My personal advice I would be to drop Chemistry even if you think you are better at it. At A2 it is notoriously difficult. Physics is just mathematics in a dress. Retake the physics modules. Smash it in the 2nd year.

Plus, Maths, FM, Physics is more attractive to a uni maths department.

I would speak to your physics/chemistry teachers and ask them if they would predict you A for A2 if you worked your arse off.

I wouldn't be so attached to chemistry though. That third subject only a path to an A to get you into a top uni. If you can get an A in maths and FM, an A in physics should be easy as long as you smash your exam practice.

Best of luck,

SS
Physics is linear. Can't have retakes in A2. I know physics is somewhat mathematical but I hate the non-mathematical stuff. If it wasn't for the mathematical element of the exams I would easily have got an E/U. The Physics at uni is pretty much all math. I am still trying to figure out if they made a mistake with my Chemistry grade.
Original post by DirkGroovy
F*ck you, that isn't bad
The D grade in the subject I want to take to A2 isn't bad? :s-smilie: Oh and I said I need ADVICE, not someone to swear at me. CLEAR OFF!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7

Even if you can't go to a top uni after your A-levels, you will still be able to do so for a masters -- providing you get good grades. It's not the end of the world.

Mist unis give offers anyway, aslong as your confident of getting the A in chem ou should be fine.
Hope everything goes well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most unis give offers anyway, aslong as your confident of getting the A in chem or physics(maybe easier?)you should be fine.
Hope everything goes well.
Go on the site 'which' and it will give you the stats on who gives what percentage of applicants offers.
Also if you have strong module scores in Maths and FM make sure to include them in the reference etc, take AEA etc as it may bolster your chances.
Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you're screwed at all. I received ABBC in maths, chem, bio and physics (yes, no further math!) respectively and was predicted A*AB, receiving offers from all 5 of my choices for maths at uni. I put surrey as my firm and yesterday was accepted after getting ABB, (4 ums off an A* in math and 3 ums off an A in chem).

Also, I personally think chemistry is so much easier at A2 but bear in mind that this was the old specification.
Original post by ColorMiKiki
I got:
Chemistry - B (linear)
Biology - C (linear)
Geography - C

Okay both of you take a deep break and a step back here. You do not and I mean do not have to apply to any university this year. Rather than spending your time stressing about personal statement and uni application, and begging your teachers to give you the predicated grades you need, put your heart and soul into your A level grades. Retake the AS modules you did badly on, lots of time in the library, talk to your teachers about the topics your stuck on, but do not give up. It is definitely not the end :smile:!
Original post by postexamtalk
Also, I personally think chemistry is so much easier at A2 but bear in mind that this was the old specification.

How come? Do you just mean it isn't much of a step up from AS, or is it literally easier?
Original post by DarkEnergy
How come? Do you just mean it isn't much of a step up from AS, or is it literally easier?

It is a step up from AS, that's a given. However I did find it literally easier, I got high A's in both papers but the coursework and last years grade pulled me down. Again, I remind you that this is how I found it personally, and it was last years spec which I believe has changed.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Okay both of you take a deep break and a step back here. You do not and I mean do not have to apply to any university this year. Rather than spending your time stressing about personal statement and uni application, and begging your teachers to give you the predicated grades you need, put your heart and soul into your A level grades. Retake the AS modules you did badly on, lots of time in the library, talk to your teachers about the topics your stuck on, but do not give up. It is definitely not the end :smile:!
Sciences are linear. Retakes aren't possible! I am willing to put in the work for Chemistry next year
I don't think you're screwed at all. I received ABBC in maths, chem, bio and physics (yes, no further math!) respectively and was predicted A*AB, receiving offers from all 5 of my choices for maths at uni. I put surrey as my firm and yesterday was accepted after getting ABB, (4 ums off an A* in math and 3 ums off an A in chem).

Ah thank you! I think I could correlate to your scenario the most. Do you think the University of Surrey would care about the A grade I got for AS Further Maths more than the my notional D grade I achieved for AS Chemistry ?( I think the D grade is really bad as I look at them from a GCSE perspective)
Ah thank you! I think I could correlate to your scenario the most. Do you think the University of Surrey would care about the A grade I got for AS Further Maths more than the my notional D grade I achieved for AS Chemistry ?( I think the D grade is really bad as I look at them from a GCSE perspective)

I would take Chemistry and drop Physics for A2. Once you do A2, AS chemistry becomes very easy (I resat my unit 1 and, with little revision, ended up going from 60 UMS to 79 UMS). Also, try your best to get your teacher to predict you a B in Chemistry and make it easier for them to do so by getting very high in your EOTT and mock exams (I was predicted an A in math, but was getting consistent 95%+ in my tests and managed to convince my teacher to predict an A*), and ask them to mention your EOTT grade results in your reference. This would in turn make it that much more likely admission tutors will overlook your AS chemistry result.
I would take Chemistry and drop Physics for A2. Once you do A2, AS chemistry becomes very easy (I resat my unit 1 and, with little revision, ended up going from 60 UMS to 79 UMS). Also, try your best to get your teacher to predict you a B in Chemistry and make it easier for them to do so by getting very high in your EOTT and mock exams (I was predicted an A in math, but was getting consistent 95%+ in my tests and managed to convince my teacher to predict an A*), and ask them to mention your EOTT grade results in your reference. This would in turn make it that much more likely admission tutors will overlook your AS chemistry result.
Omg this actually sounds like a plan I could go with! Since the results I know I really have to go all out for Chemistry next year. I think you may have solved my dilema. THANK YOU !! :h:
Omg this actually sounds like a plan I could go with! Since the results I know I really have to go all out for Chemistry next year. I think you may have solved my dilema. THANK YOU !! :h:

You're welcome! I wish you the best of luck for this year and maybe, hope to see you at Surrey next year. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest