The Student Room Group

My dad won't let me quit!

This story could get quite long but please stick around and read it because i really need help!

I started working at the barber shop my dad works at in 2014, when i was 14 years old - i'm still working there at 16 and im about to go into college in September. I've told him for the past year that I don't want to do it anymore because the job is boring and because of the way he treats me sometimes ( he humiliates me and laughs at me infront of customers and then says oh look at her face she's going to have a go at me later and continues to laugh even though he knows I'm not happy with him ) but he won't let me quit and threatens to cut off my phone bill saying i need to find another job before i quit ( i told him to cut off my phone bill - that its fine and i would rather not have a phone than have to work there but he still refused to let me quit)

I only agreed to work for this shop two saturdays a month and another girl would do the other saturdays but then i got told i had to do every saturday which he pushed me into doing - last week everyone agreed that we would go back to doing that one week on one week off system but straight away she flaked and i know that I'm going to end up doing every week again even though i have told my dad countless times that I'm not going to be messed about - we also never get to leave on time ( i wouldn't mind if i liked working there) and i don't get paid overtime which means the job is less than minimum wage (which again i wouldn't mind but i hate working there).

He tells me i should wear makeup to work and to wear nicer clothes etc and its really stressing me out.

My dad is starting to scare me and i don't know what to do, working there and even being around him is making me miserable, i need advice fast!
Original post by alohalily
This story could get quite long but please stick around and read it because i really need help!

I started working at the barber shop my dad works at in 2014, when i was 14 years old - i'm still working there at 16 and im about to go into college in September. I've told him for the past year that I don't want to do it anymore because the job is boring and because of the way he treats me sometimes ( he humiliates me and laughs at me infront of customers and then says oh look at her face she's going to have a go at me later and continues to laugh even though he knows I'm not happy with him ) but he won't let me quit and threatens to cut off my phone bill saying i need to find another job before i quit ( i told him to cut off my phone bill - that its fine and i would rather not have a phone than have to work there but he still refused to let me quit)

I only agreed to work for this shop two saturdays a month and another girl would do the other saturdays but then i got told i had to do every saturday which he pushed me into doing - last week everyone agreed that we would go back to doing that one week on one week off system but straight away she flaked and i know that I'm going to end up doing every week again even though i have told my dad countless times that I'm not going to be messed about - we also never get to leave on time ( i wouldn't mind if i liked working there) and i don't get paid overtime which means the job is less than minimum wage (which again i wouldn't mind but i hate working there).

He tells me i should wear makeup to work and to wear nicer clothes etc and its really stressing me out.

My dad is starting to scare me and i don't know what to do, working there and even being around him is making me miserable, i need advice fast!

Although there are lots of ways you could handle this. The simplest option here is to get another job.Why not get onto this right away and then you can be free.
but he won't let me quit and threatens to cut off my phone bill saying i need to find another job before i quit

So play the game. Get another job and quit. To be fair, most jobs are dull and boring but he is teaching you a lesson in life. Just because something is dull does not mean you can just quit.
This sounds kind of bizarre. What do you actually do there?
He's telling you, he'll let you quit if you find another job. Do just that then. You've got 2 years of valuable work experience here which will look attractive to many part time jobs. Send your CV around lots of shops and restaurants
Reply 5
Original post by According to Pete
Although there are lots of ways you could handle this. The simplest option here is to get another job.Why not get onto this right away and then you can be free.

I can't get a job until I get my college timetable which I forgot to mention
Reply 6
Original post by Pinkberry_y
He's telling you, he'll let you quit if you find another job. Do just that then. You've got 2 years of valuable work experience here which will look attractive to many part time jobs. Send your CV around lots of shops and restaurants

I can't get a job until I get my college timetable
Reply 7
Original post by ByEeek
So play the game. Get another job and quit. To be fair, most jobs are dull and boring but he is teaching you a lesson in life. Just because something is dull does not mean you can just quit.

It's more about the fact that he's treating me like **** not that the job is boring
Reply 8
Original post by Trinculo
This sounds kind of bizarre. What do you actually do there?

Making tea and coffee and just general tidying as well as anything else they need doing
I can't get a job until I get my college timetable

Apply for jobs in the meantime, sometimes it takes a while for them to get back to you
He sounds like an arse. Check your local bye laws: in Manchester the rules are fairly clear and most councils follow the government model.

A child 13-14can only work 5 hours on a Saturday and a child 15-16 can only work 8 hours.
Work permit is required.
There are restrictions on holidays too but sadly no minimum wage system.

If you are really sick of him then report him to the council! Frankly he deserves it because he is a bully by making you the butt of his jokes.
There's no harm in getting a new job now. I'm sure your new employer will let you change the days you work to suit your college timetable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Apply for jobs in the meantime, sometimes it takes a while for them to get back to you

I'm with Pink on this. At least looking at whats on off. In reality the condition is to get a job so even if its just weekends that's going to let you move on from the current job which is what you really want.

Reality is you arent looking for a job for life just for a short term purpose. If it does work out alongside your studies great but if not you can just look for something more suited in your own time.
The reality is a lot of jobs in retail etc will treat you crappily... my guess is that once you get another job you won't think this one is so bad...

but if you want to leave just do what he says and find a different job, no reason you can't start applying for saturday/evening work now before you get your timetable and tell them you may be available for other hours depending on your timetable

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending