The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary SEFP offer for biological sciences

Hey guys I have been offered this foundation course...however I dont know how I will get onto the biomedical sciences course after this

Also I would like to know how you guys found it if any of you have done this?
Is it easy or what?
Reply 1
hi,
having just done the foundation year at QM myself, I can tell you it's no walk in the park, but I'd say it's good preparation. After you finish the year, you automatically progress onto the next year as long as you meet the requirements.

Hope that help
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by fkhan4
hi,
having just done the foundation year at QM myself, I can tell you it's no walk in the park, but I'd say it's good preparation. After you finish the year, you automatically progress onto the next year as long as you meet the requirements.

Hope that help

Hey, did you do biology after? i really want to do biomed
Reply 3
I did physics myself, but I know a few people who went on to biomed. At least I think they did
I've completed the SEFP course at QM, it's a demanding course but as long as you keep up with the work you should be fine. I am progressing to Mechanical engineering this September, however I do have a friend who was progressing to biomed. I'll try to answer any questions you might have

It's sort of set out like this.
You have people who all want to progress to different courses after the foundation year. However, they all put them in one group. One day they call you to come in and show you a booklet which tells you which modules you must select in the foundation year in order to progress to your chosen degree.
For example I wanted to do Mech Eng. So the booklet said I had to select two maths modules (one in the first semester and one in the second), all the physics modules (which was 3) and one choice between chemistry or another maths module. I chose chemistry as I wanted something challenging and different.

However there are particular modules which are compulsory for your degree course so you had little options, Both the maths and 2 physics modules were compulsory for me to take. Alongside this there's and english module - a bit like GCSE english lit and language but more concerned about science. You'd think you would only meet people who study physics, maths or engineering by chosing these modules but that isn't true.

My friend has compulsory modules of 2 biology and 2 chemistry and 1 maths, alongside the English module. All degree progression have compulsory Maths and the English module. so you do actually meet people who want to progress onto different degrees.

To pass to your chosen degree in the next year for Any engineering e.g Aerospace, Mechanical, I think Computer science too. you needed at least 55% in average with all your modules combined. This includes a 55% pass in individual modules such as maths and physics. So I could fail chemistry and still be alright.

If I can remember clearly my friend had to get 70% on average for bio-med. They were stressing about it but trust me it is possible. They are now progressing to their chosen degree .

The timetable is hectic but I think it's worth it, you get an advantage as you become more confident on campus for the next year and you know all the tricks around uni earlier so you are more prepared and focused then individuals who came straight out from sixth form/ college.

Also after the foundation year QM allow you to choose another uni if you wanted to progress to, and it is possible but I think you had to call the uni up and ask how the modules translates to them. So for example they might want 80% in particular modules which is different to QM. I had another friend who wanted to study medicine/ biology (something across those fields) is starting her first year this septermber at KCL. So it is possible as the foundation degree at QM is regarded as being very good. But most people that I know felt comfortable at the uni and decided to stay., QM is a good uni.

If you don't pass the mark to progress you might need to retake but that will be capped. If that doesn't go well they will drop you. Also if your attendance is bad you will be kicked out of the course.

TBH, everyone I knew passed and happily went to their chosen degree, however they were all hardworkers (especially as this is their second chance) and had good attendance. As long as you have both you should be fine. There were times I thought I failed a module but I did just fine.

If you decide to take this course, good luck! :smile: (Lol, Sorry for long message)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ❃ Stardust ❃
I've completed the SEFP course at QM, it's a demanding course but as long as you keep up with the work you should be fine. I am progressing to Mechanical engineering this September, however I do have a friend who was progressing to biomed. I'll try to answer any questions you might have

It's sort of set out like this.
You have people who all want to progress to different courses after the foundation year. However, they all put them in one group. One day they call you to come in and show you a booklet which tells you which modules you must select in the foundation year in order to progress to your chosen degree.
For example I wanted to do Mech Eng. So the booklet said I had to select two maths modules (one in the first semester and one in the second), all the physics modules (which was 3) and one choice between chemistry or another maths module. I chose chemistry as I wanted something challenging and different.

However there are particular modules which are compulsory for your degree course so you had little options, Both the maths and 2 physics modules were compulsory for me to take. Alongside this there's and english module - a bit like GCSE english lit and language but more concerned about science. You'd think you would only meet people who study physics, maths or engineering by chosing these modules but that isn't true.

My friend has compulsory modules of 2 biology and 2 chemistry and 1 maths, alongside the English module. All degree progression have compulsory Maths and the English module. so you do actually meet people who want to progress onto different degrees.

To pass to your chosen degree in the next year for Any engineering e.g Aerospace, Mechanical, I think Computer science too. you needed at least 55% in average with all your modules combined. This includes a 55% pass in individual modules such as maths and physics. So I could fail chemistry and still be alright.

If I can remember clearly my friend had to get 70% on average for bio-med. They were stressing about it but trust me it is possible. They are now progressing to their chosen degree .

The timetable is hectic but I think it's worth it, you get an advantage as you become more confident on campus for the next year and you know all the tricks around uni earlier so you are more prepared and focused then individuals who came straight out from sixth form/ college.

Also after the foundation year QM allow you to choose another uni if you wanted to progress to, and it is possible but I think you had to call the uni up and ask how the modules translates to them. So for example they might want 80% in particular modules which is different to QM. I had another friend who wanted to study medicine/ biology (something across those fields) is starting her first year this septermber at KCL. So it is possible as the foundation degree at QM is regarded as being very good. But most people that I know felt comfortable at the uni and decided to stay., QM is a good uni. Also another person who originally wanted to progress to maths ended up progressing to Economics at QM,so you can change you choice of degree progression at the end because they ask you to confirm it near the end of the foundation year.

If you don't pass the mark to progress you might need to retake but that will be capped. If that doesn't go well they will drop you. Also if your attendance is bad you will be kicked out of the course.

TBH, everyone I knew passed and happily went to their chosen degree, however they were all hardworkers (especially as this is their second chance) and had good attendance. As long as you have both you should be fine. There were times I thought I failed a module but I did just fine.

If you decide to take this course, good luck! :smile: (Lol, Sorry for long message)

Is there anyway you can tell me how the timetable was? Can you share your sefp timetable that you had? Also, is there a open day for offer holders? I didn't attend the uni at the open days but now I have an offer and I would like to visit their before choosing it as my firm. Thanks!
Original post by fkhan4
hi,

Hope that help

Is there anyway you can tell me how the timetable was? Can you share your sefp timetable that you had? Also, is there a open day for offer holders? I didn't attend the uni at the open days but now I have an offer and I would like to visit their before choosing it as my firm. Thanks!
I can't seem to find my timetable however, it is very likely you will have to come in 5-4 days. Everyone I knew had a similar timetable, if your lucky you get one day off.

Also, there is a open day for offer holders somewhere between Feb-March If I can remember, they'll email you closer to the time.
Original post by ❃ Stardust ❃
I can't seem to find my timetable however, it is very likely you will have to come in 5-4 days. Everyone I knew had a similar timetable, if your lucky you get one day off.

Also, there is a open day for offer holders somewhere between Feb-March If I can remember, they'll email you closer to the time.

How many hours a week would you say there are lecture times and how many hours a week did you do independent study?
Reply 9
hi do you know any students who were deregistered from the programme due to poor attendance? thanks
Original post by mrmrm123
How many hours a week would you say there are lecture times and how many hours a week did you do independent study?

Lecture times + tutorials + workshops + seminars = 25 hours.
Attendance is taken for all of these.

Independent study will be different for everyone. For example some people would already have studied A-level Maths or Chemistry, so they would spend less time on it. I did A-level Maths, Physics and Electronics so things I learned I was familiar with with however, you do learn things you didn't learn in A levels. For example we had done some further maths which I hadn't done before.

I would say I spent roughly 15-20 hours a week studying independently - this would include doing the assigments, practicals, reports and practicing questions. There will always be something assigned to complete.
Original post by munib.a
hi do you know any students who were deregistered from the programme due to poor attendance? thanks

Not anyone I personally know however, we were warned as they take attendance very serious. If I can remember - you need something like at least 75% to progress otherwise you get deregistered. If you even pass all the exams and don't have the attendance they won't let you progress, so it's best to not risk it.

When I was doing the SEFP the lectures are not recorded but the notes are online, so sometimes your would miss some hints and tips so I recommend to go to lectures as much as possible.
if anyone is applying this year, i have the textbooks available for sale for the foundation in biological sciences course at QM. so hmu (dm me) if interested in buying the textbooks and feel free to ask me any questions
Reply 13
WHat if you do well on your final exams in May but had a bad attendance in your second year because of health reasons?
Reply 14
What is the maths module like and the english ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending