The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone have any ideas how high an unofficial A* boundary would be? I know AS doesn't have them but usually 90% UMS covers it. Since we don't have UMS, what do you think it could be? I was thinking around 122/140.
Reply 1541
Original post by Lewishier
Anyone have any ideas how high an unofficial A* boundary would be? I know AS doesn't have them but usually 90% UMS covers it. Since we don't have UMS, what do you think it could be? I was thinking around 122/140.

It would be 120.
Original post by SGHD26716
It would be 120.

Why 120 and not 122?

Wasn't it 14 marks per boundary (haven't double checked this, just going off from what I remember)

108 was an A right? 108+14 = 122.

But it may have been 12
Reply 1543

Irrelevant.

I doubt Cambridge would ask because of the changes but ur guess sounds accurate.
Reply 1544
Original post by jn998
103 😐, 50 on Breadth, 53 on Depth. I predicted 50 and 58 so I asked for photocopies and will probably remark the Depth paper, all of my friends who were predicted As also got Bs. Not that big of a deal though, my other results were much better than I thought (AAAA in Physics, Econ, Maths and Further Maths) so overall I'm pleased.

I haven't got a remark for some time but from what i remember, I dont think you can get a remark after getting a photocopy of the same exam.

Might be worth checking.
Original post by SGHD26716
It would be 120.

Thanks!

Original post by Jitesh
Why 120 and not 122?

Wasn't it 14 marks per boundary (haven't double checked this, just going off from what I remember)

108 was an A right? 108+14 = 122.

But it may have been 12

As long as it's in that ballpark and not much higher I'm alright!

Original post by AAls
Irrelevant.

I doubt Cambridge would ask because of the changes but ur guess sounds accurate.

It's only because my school give A* predictions if you get an A* worthy mark at AS. Usually this is above 90% UMS but the new syllabus changes things.
Original post by AAls
Irrelevant.

He's probably interested due to asking for an A* prediction...

As long as it's in that ballpark and not much higher I'm alright!

Thought you were after an A* prediction lol
What mark did you get?
Original post by Jitesh
Thought you were after an A* prediction lol
What mark did you get?

118 overall, 59 on each paper.
118 overall, 59 on each paper.

Nice that's a solid performance on each paper
Are you considering getting your papers back, as we can learn from the mistakes we made? I think OCR charge a tenner each.. Might be more useful for biology for me than chem though
Reply 1550
Original post by AAls
I haven't got a remark for some time but from what i remember, I dont think you can get a remark after getting a photocopy of the same exam.

Might be worth checking.

Actually it's the opposite, you have to request the photocopy before you can apply for the remark now (unless you ask for a priority remark which is only available to people who need to meet uni offers). The only way to prevent yourself being able to get a remark is to request a copy of the original script back
123/140 - 63 on breadth and 60 on depth
Original post by jn998
Actually it's the opposite, you have to request the photocopy before you can apply for the remark now (unless you ask for a priority remark which is only available to people who need to meet uni offers). The only way to prevent yourself being able to get a remark is to request a copy of the original script back

How do you request a copy of the paper?
Reply 1553
Original post by tizzaclaire98
How do you request a copy of the paper?

Speak to your exams officer, they can order it for you, cost is circa £10/paper
Original post by jn998
Speak to your exams officer, they can order it for you, cost is circa £10/paper

Is it £79 to get one paper remarked or it is for both papers?
Original post by Saaranjan
Is it £79 to get one paper remarked or it is for both papers?

i think both
Does anyone have a link to these respective papers? Thanks.
After reading a lot of comments here and on the bio thread. What's the point of remarking? I mean your grade will not count for next year so it seems worthless and a waste of money imo
Reply 1559
Original post by asinghj
After reading a lot of comments here and on the bio thread. What's the point of remarking? I mean your grade will not count for next year so it seems worthless and a waste of money imo

It'll only matter if you end up really close to a grade boundary next year. If you're aiming for an A* and got a B on a paper it's literally pointless though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending