The Student Room Group

2 a levels and 3 as grades?

I am currently doing my AS Levels and recieved my grades. I got an A in Business Studies, a B in French, a D in Chemistry and an E in Biology. In my sixth form the entry requirements to move up to A2 were 3 middle D's. I am not allowed to continue as my D in Chemistry was a low D. I have been given the option to re-do everything all over again or to continue with the Business Studies and French and pick up an AS in Politics (its either that or film which I do not want to do).

I want to study Business Management and French in university however, which universities will accept me with only 2 A levels and 3 AS levels? I had plans of going to top/russell group univerisities like Bristol, Manchester, Birmingham, Bath however, will this still be possible? Also, is it worth restricting myself with the number of universities that i can go to, or should I just redo the year which I ABSOLUTELY dread? I can almost guarantee that I will get A's in Politics, Business and French.

What can i do???
Original post by melissa-23
I am currently doing my AS Levels and recieved my grades. I got an A in Business Studies, a B in French, a D in Chemistry and an E in Biology. In my sixth form the entry requirements to move up to A2 were 3 middle D's. I am not allowed to continue as my D in Chemistry was a low D. I have been given the option to re-do everything all over again or to continue with the Business Studies and French and pick up an AS in Politics (its either that or film which I do not want to do).

I want to study Business Management and French in university however, which universities will accept me with only 2 A levels and 3 AS levels? I had plans of going to top/russell group univerisities like Bristol, Manchester, Birmingham, Bath however, will this still be possible? Also, is it worth restricting myself with the number of universities that i can go to, or should I just redo the year which I ABSOLUTELY dread? I can almost guarantee that I will get A's in Politics, Business and French.

What can i do???

There's a lot more than top/RG unis. You need to be more realistic and start thinking about applying to unis that welcome UCAS points rather than asking a minimum of 3 A-levels.

I honestly wouldn't redo the whole year, I mean you got an A and a B for goodness sake! They should have let you continue a bit unfair imo. But I would pick up Politics as that would work well with your degree as you'd study similar stuff like Business Law and maybe even French politics in your degree which will be interesting if you study an International Gov/Pol unit.

But if you're really not interested in the House of Commons and Parliament and all that, you might struggle to stay engaged which can demotivate you. But if you strongly believe you can get a high grade in Politics, then go for it. Your grades aren't bad enough to resit a damn year!
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
There's a lot more than top/RG unis. You need to be more realistic and start thinking about applying to unis that welcome UCAS points rather than asking a minimum of 3 A-levels.

I honestly wouldn't redo the whole year, I mean you got an A and a B for goodness sake! They should have let you continue a bit unfair imo. But I would pick up Politics as that would work well with your degree as you'd study similar stuff like Business Law and maybe even French politics in your degree which will be interesting if you study an International Gov/Pol unit.

But if you're really not interested in the House of Commons and Parliament and all that, you might struggle to stay engaged which can demotivate you. But if you strongly believe you can get a high grade in Politics, then go for it. Your grades aren't bad enough to resit a damn year!

Thank you so much, this was incredibly helpful. I completely agree with you and I agree that it is very unfair. I do not think it is worth redoing the year either and it would be really upsetting to see all my friends go to uni in the same school whilst I am with the younger year. I have considered moving schools and continuing with business studies, french and chemistry and I would do SO much work and get a tutor to ensure I pass Chemistry but my problem is the different exam boards meaning I would have to resit.

I'm not interested in the House of Commons or Politics AT ALL but that is my only choice besides Film Studies (which I am definitely not allowed to take in my house lol). I feel like I have no options.
Thank you so much, this was incredibly helpful. I completely agree with you and I agree that it is very unfair. I do not think it is worth redoing the year either and it would be really upsetting to see all my friends go to uni in the same school whilst I am with the younger year. I have considered moving schools and continuing with business studies, french and chemistry and I would do SO much work and get a tutor to ensure I pass Chemistry but my problem is the different exam boards meaning I would have to resit.

I'm not interested in the House of Commons or Politics AT ALL but that is my only choice besides Film Studies (which I am definitely not allowed to take in my house lol). I feel like I have no options.

I know what you mean, I went through the same thing (twice) and I've only just finished 1st year whilst my friends have just graduated this year. But to be honest, the feeling goes straight away.

Can you continue with those A-levels if they are from a different exam board? If it's diff exam boards, you'd have to do those A-levels from the start.

Politics is basically all about Commons and stuff - it's really boring. But yeah it doesn't look like you have too many choices. But, if you think changing colleges is the best then go for it. But don't redo the whole year.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Wow, that's made me feel much better about this situation, thank you! I highly doubt i can continue especially with Chemistry because my school have chosen a very rare syllabus. I understand. Politics doesn't sound like the one for me. Thanks again, you've been so helpful! Good luck to you too on second year, you too will graduate in your own time and perhaps end up with a better job than all of them haha!
Wow, that's made me feel much better about this situation, thank you! I highly doubt i can continue especially with Chemistry because my school have chosen a very rare syllabus. I understand. Politics doesn't sound like the one for me. Thanks again, you've been so helpful! Good luck to you too on second year, you too will graduate in your own time and perhaps end up with a better job than all of them haha!

Which exam board is it for chemistry?
Reply 6
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Which exam board is it for chemistry?

OCR Salters B. Most schools do OCR A
OCR Salters B. Most schools do OCR A

Omg omg we did that! God it was awful, my stomach turned into knots every time I had to go into a chemistry lesson
Reply 8

What can i do???

First of all can I say they are being very unfair. However, no top university is going to take you with only 2 A levels, you need a minimum of three (check the websites some explicitly say that they don't accept an AS instead of an A-level).

So it would be in your best interest to restart the year, especially you may even be able to boost the B up to an A
Reply 9
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Omg omg we did that! God it was awful, my stomach turned into knots every time I had to go into a chemistry lesson

It was disgusting. It's so unfair, I read the OCR A specification and the topics are much simpler and easier to grasp. What grade did you get?
It was disgusting. It's so unfair, I read the OCR A specification and the topics are much simpler and easier to grasp. What grade did you get?

Do you guys still have the individual investigation? It's literally the work of the devil. I ended up with an A* but that was after spending hours and hours in the library revising chemistry and doing every past paper form like 2005 and always going to the teacher to ask for help because I didn't understand stuff
Reply 11
Original post by cxii
First of all can I say they are being very unfair. However, no top university is going to take you with only 2 A levels, you need a minimum of three (check the websites some explicitly say that they don't accept an AS instead of an A-level).

So it would be in your best interest to restart the year, especially you may even be able to boost the B up to an A

I completely agree. Their reasoning is because if you get a D this year, you'll only get worse next year which I really do not agree with as I know my strengths. I have checked unis that do my course and so far Manchester University say that they will accept an AS in place of an A level which is good because I wanted to go there anyway. I will try to find more unis that say this. Thank you for all your help! I will also consider redoing

Quick Reply

Latest