The Student Room Group

Anyone get bad results at AS but mint results at A2??

Scroll to see replies

GCSE: 7A*s, 4As
AS: BBBC
A2: A*AB (maths, chem, bio respectively. dropped french)

Not exactly what I wanted (want to apply for medicine) but I am proud of myself, considering all that's happened to me personally over these 2 years. I am still looking into my options for applying to medicine
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Ninjakam119
Got BCCD at AS after thinking I could just read the textbook the night before. Worked my hypothetical ass off and got A*AA at A2, trying for medicine this year :smile:
My subjects were Biology, Chemistry and Maths (dropped physics).

wow what are you going to do this year if you don't mind me asking:smile:
i was thinking of not applying to uni until i got my a level results:smile:
AS
BBC

A2
AAB
Got full marks in one of my retakes where last year I only got a C.
Original post by DarkEnergy
So you self-taught C3 after year 12 exams? What resources did you use?

I didn't really self teach C3 but in class we covered a fair number of topics. I also picked FM which kind of forced me to become familiar with A2 Maths early. I'm on AQA so one book was really used in class (Advancing Maths for AQA series).

On YouTube there is an excellent channel called Jack Brown, he covers all of A2 Maths for OCR MEI and AQA all of which can be used for all other major Maths exam boards as the majority of the material is the same. I can't honestly sing his praises any higher. He also covers the applied modules but these vary more greatly board to board so be careful.

Sidenote: Get your UCAS stuff sorted as soon as you can otherwise it just becomes a burden that you'd rather avoid, get your personal statement checked by teachers although don't hand it to multiple teachers at a time. Depending on what you're applying to, the bulk of your personal statement should remain relevant/useful to the course you're applying to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yess ... At AS I got a B in sociology a C in psychology and a D in geography. My psychology teacher then decided that it would be a good idea to remark my psychology papers without my consent thinking it will go up but instead my whole grade dropped down to a D so my AS grades became BDD so I decided to retake all the unit 1 papers of my AS subjects as they were my weaker grades whilst doing A2. after a lot of hard work I finished A2 with the grades A* AA whilst being under a lot of stress due to my dads heart surgery ... It turns out that my retakes made my As grades become AAB which were added to the AAA grades received at A2 giving me an overall grade of A*AA so don't give up I was disappointed at the end of summer last year also but you just need to work super hard ... Push your self do all past papers and make all notes so you don't leave them last minute.
At AS I got ABCE. Just got my A2 results and got A*AB :K:. Dunno if it counts as a success story tho, had to drop the subject I got an E in and my remaining subjects weren't that difficult.
I got BBC at As and A*BB at A2
Original post by NimcoA
wow what are you going to do this year if you don't mind me asking:smile:
i was thinking of not applying to uni until i got my a level results:smile:

Sure, I'm going to try for medicine. I wanted to apply last year, but my teachers wouldn't predict me the 3As I needed (predicted BBC actually haha). I'm taking a gap year now, which is worth it if it means you get on the course you want to do.
Meee - AAAC at A2 ACC at AS - Was only really one subject that improved but I needed it to into my firm so :wink:
Original post by Glutenfree
Plz... I need some success stories to make me feel better

:burnout:

Hey, at AS i got BBC and i managed to pull it up to ABB at A2 allowing me to get into my firm choice:smile:
Original post by Callum323
At AS I got BBCC in biology, chemistry, maths and physics repectively. I got biology remarked to an A, just barely, so ABCC. I dropped physics as it was my worst subject.

At A2 I got AAA, chemistry was 1 UMS off an A* and biology was 3 UMS off an A*. I thought I worked hard at AS but this year I worked so much harder and it paid off :h:

congrats on the achievement! :smile: did you get in through adjustment?
I wish I appreciated my AS results more, now they mean nothing. My predicted grades were higher than my actual grades. So awkward. I'm avoiding my school forever now to prevent having to explain myself to my teachers.
I got a D in History at AS, came out with a B at A2
AS:
Maths-B
F Maths-E
Physics-C
Product Design-D
A-Levels:
Maths-A
F Maths-C
Physics-C
A-Levels retakes (I've retaken 4 modules during "gap year", I've managed to get some (worked 6 months, full time) work experience as an IT guy in a small company with an online store),
Maths-A*
F Maths-A
Physics-B
Last year was super dull and I virtually had no social life, but I got the grades for my dream uni in the end and that's what counts. Good luck!
Original post by greys-anatomy
congrats on the achievement! :smile: did you get in through adjustment?

Thank you! I was hoping to get into Bath using adjustment, but they had no places. Surrey was my next choice, but I probably wouldn't have got first year accommodation and I was quite happy with Warwick anyway, who offered me ABB :h:

Warwick may not be as good for biosciences as Bath or Surrey, but I think if I continue my effort and find work placements I'll be just fine
Got my AS results yesterday, got ABCE
The E is in biology which I need to take onto A2
I was 4 marks off a D, but if I try hard, will I be able to get an C/B at A2?
Very disappointed as for my mock exam I got an A and a mix of as,bs and cs in tests during the year
Original post by fayeb1999
Got my AS results yesterday, got ABCE
The E is in biology which I need to take onto A2
I was 4 marks off a D, but if I try hard, will I be able to get an C/B at A2?
Very disappointed as for my mock exam I got an A and a mix of as,bs and cs in tests during the year

Could resit some AS exams next year? It would be a lot of work is quite likely to boost your grade
Original post by RomeoSantos
Could resit some AS exams next year? It would be a lot of work is quite likely to boost your grade

It's the new biology linear a level, so the grade I got doesn't count towards A2 and I don't think its possible to resit
I am resitting one of my geog papers though to take it from a B to an A but that's one of the unreformed a levels
I'm kinda in the same predicament as i got CCDD in my AS, however 3 of my subjects are being reformed so none of them are going to be contributing to A2, so the one that is going to be carried on is Maths. What i plan to do is Resit the module i screwed up as i got

A - Pure Core 1
D - Pure core 2
B - Decisions

The head spoke to me saying that "My best option is to take the grades as they are and ask for photocopies of my papers so i can see where and how i messed up and possibly resit the 1 module for maths"
Any thoughts on what i plan to do since i'm still able to go into Yr13?
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
(..)

Thanks so much. Yeah already got the bulk of my PS out of the way, just need teachers to check it. How come I shouldn't hand it to multiple teachers at a time?

Quick Reply

Latest