The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saward1988
Hi there - similarly to you I applied for med school when I was younger and didn't get in. I've got an Econ degree, so restricted a bit in the places I can apply. Especially as I can't go anywhere outside the South East.

All the chat on the UKCAT poll thread has me worried that the average is about to go up a lot this year and my score (743) won't be good enough for Southampton grad programme. Kind of resigning myself to the fact that I might have to do a 5 year course...probably being too anxious but also concerned if the average goes up a lot I will be uncompetitive for the 5 years at Kings, Soton etc. as well.

Guess I better knuckle down for the GAMSAT...

It's also worth remembering that those who do well are more likely to share their scores on forums and in public, whereas those who don't are more likely to keep it to themselves. It can be quite scary seeing lots of high scores but it doesn't often paint the full picture!

(This is what I am telling myself anyway haha!)
Original post by Marathi
It's also worth remembering that those who do well are more likely to share their scores on forums and in public, whereas those who don't are more likely to keep it to themselves. It can be quite scary seeing lots of high scores but it doesn't often paint the full picture!

(This is what I am telling myself anyway haha!)

Last year the TSR average was over 60 points higher than the actual average that UKCAT released!
I think we should all remain positive you're right! I did mine on the first day you could so I've already been sweating it a month...at least another to go! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,*

Can anyone please, please tell me the difference between a HCA and a care assistant job? I am very confused..*

Many Thanks*
Original post by 123ash
Hello,*

Can anyone please, please tell me the difference between a HCA and a care assistant job? I am very confused..*

Many Thanks*

HCAs are generally hospital based, whereas care assistants are in nursing homes, maybe? I'm not sure tho.
Original post by Clunkles
HCAs are generally hospital based, whereas care assistants are in nursing homes, maybe? I'm not sure tho.

Thanks. Apart from that, is there a difference in the actual role carried out? Like the job description?
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between taking a gap year to resit some exams and doing graduate entry medicine atm. I got AABB, the Bs were in Biology and Maths. I also have an offer to study Chemistry. I would really appreciate if you could answer some questions :smile:
How hard is it to get into graduate entry medicine programmes?
I heard it is expensive to do graduate entry medicine, so I'm wondering how much do you have to pay? Do you get any help with funding?
I would like to apply in the final year of my degree if I decide to do it? Apart from Warwick, do any other GEM programmes require a completed degree before you apply?
How hard is the GAMSAT and when do you have to take it? Before/ after you apply?
I know Imperial want their applicants to have a scientific degree, any other places you're aware of that want that too?

And I'm just interested how difficult is it to get a first class degree?
Sat my UKCAT this afternoon and got an average of 767, over the moon! My top choice is Warwick, and planning on applying to Newcastle and King's as well.
Original post by sophmlg
Sat my UKCAT this afternoon and got an average of 767, over the moon! My top choice is Warwick, and planning on applying to Newcastle and King's as well.

heyyy congratsssss. that is so good. how did you practice and was VR and QR easier than medify ? any tips and advice please.
Original post by Medici103
I found VR similar to medify and QR slightly easier. In terms of speeding up: for VR, I read the passage quickly first, skim reading, to get the general gist and layout. Then I read the question. I look for key words/numbers from the question in the passage. For QR, it was practice with the timed questions bit on medify. Also used the section specific skills breakdown to assess what I needed to work on.

Good luck!

thank you for your reply.
i hope to improve my speed in VR.
Original post by nisha devi
heyyy congratsssss. that is so good. how did you practice and was VR and QR easier than medify ? any tips and advice please.

Mainly Medify, I used the 1000Q book as well. It was my second time sitting it too so that maybe helped. They were roughly on a par I'd say, nothing insanely difficult in QR but a couple of long winded questions involving averages etc., so just what you'd expect. Best of luck!
Original post by sophmlg
Mainly Medify, I used the 1000Q book as well. It was my second time sitting it too so that maybe helped. They were roughly on a par I'd say, nothing insanely difficult in QR but a couple of long winded questions involving averages etc., so just what you'd expect. Best of luck!

thankyou, how about VR i am worried about speed in VR as finding statements take time:/
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
So I've just decided to do the ukcat, if i book the test say a month from today will i have enough time to get a decent mark?

Hi ArabianPhoenix

You still have time to prepare but you do really need to do as much as you can between now and then.

Ideally you should schedule yourself a few hours each day leading up to your test date.

Make sure you get all of your resources sorted as soon as you can and ensure that they are the most up to date and comprehensive available.

Feel free to give me a shout if you would like any more specific advice... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between taking a gap year to resit some exams and doing graduate entry medicine atm. I got AABB, the Bs were in Biology and Maths. I also have an offer to study Chemistry. I would really appreciate if you could answer some questions :smile:
How hard is it to get into graduate entry medicine programmes?
I heard it is expensive to do graduate entry medicine, so I'm wondering how much do you have to pay? Do you get any help with funding?
I would like to apply in the final year of my degree if I decide to do it? Apart from Warwick, do any other GEM programmes require a completed degree before you apply?
How hard is the GAMSAT and when do you have to take it? Before/ after you apply?
I know Imperial want their applicants to have a scientific degree, any other places you're aware of that want that too?

And I'm just interested how difficult is it to get a first class degree?

Firstly, be wary of how medical schools view resits.

On to your questions:
1. Competition is greater for graduate entry than for undergraduate entry. However, graduates can apply to 5 year programmes if it's financially viable for them to do so.
2. & 3. Funding information for GEM can be found on the NHS careers website but it basically boils down to student self-funds the first £3495 of tuition fees for first year and applies to SFE for the remainder. After this tuition is picked up by SFE and NHS. Information about bursaries etc can be found on the NHS careers website.
4. As far as I am aware, the only uni that requires a completed degree at the time of application is Birmingham. Warwick accepts predicted classification as do the others. You may want to check on this though by looking at the individual med school websites.
5. I'm not taking GAMSAT so I don't know how hard it is but there is a free pdf shortened practice paper floating around the internet. A google search should do it. GAMSAT can be sat in Ireland in March and in the UK in September, prior to application. Results are valid for two years.
6. Imperial uses BMAT and not GAMSAT, but yes, they do require a science degree. A checklist is available on their website to help determine degree suitability. Others requiring science degrees include King's (UKCAT), Birmingham, Oxford (BMAT). You could look on the individual websites for this.
7. How difficult it is to obtain a first is hugely variable. It depends on numerous factors about the uni and course you attend, what your study habits are like, how you prioritise etc... it's impossible to answer with out knowing tons of info.
Original post by nisha devi
thankyou, how about VR i am worried about speed in VR as finding statements take time:/

It depends what you find most useful and how fast you read to be honest, I mostly just glance at the first line or two then read the question and scan the text for key words. That doesn't always work though depending on how long the text is and if it's T/F/CT or statements. Most of my exam was made up of statement answers which are more time consuming.
Original post by sophmlg

WOW!!! That is brilliant. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Can I ask why Warwick is your 1st choice? I mean I wet to the open day and I loved it! So I completely understand, but just curious as to why others have chose Warwick. With a UKCAT results like yours, you stand a very high chance with Kings and Newcastle too!.

Thanks*
Scored 750 in my UKCAT and not going to sit the GAMSAT. 4 choices will be Newcastle, Warwick, Southampton and Barts (If predicted a 1:1). Really hoping for normal UKCAT scores rather than 2014 levels as I really want to end up at Newcastle but can't be fussy lol. Good luck to everyone yet to sit their UKCAT/GAMSAT
Original post by sean0219
Scored 750 in my UKCAT and not going to sit the GAMSAT. 4 choices will be Newcastle, Warwick, Southampton and Barts (If predicted a 1:1). Really hoping for normal UKCAT scores rather than 2014 levels as I really want to end up at Newcastle but can't be fussy lol. Good luck to everyone yet to sit their UKCAT/GAMSAT

Same choices as me! So you're the competition! :tongue:
Original post by sean0219

Congrats on your brill score!! So happy for you all doing so well, getting closer to your dream!!
Original post by 123ash
WOW!!! That is brilliant. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Can I ask why Warwick is your 1st choice? I mean I wet to the open day and I loved it! So I completely understand, but just curious as to why others have chose Warwick. With a UKCAT results like yours, you stand a very high chance with Kings and Newcastle too!.

Thanks*

Thank you! Hopefully I'll see you at Warwick then :biggrin:
Mainly I just loved the integrated teaching approach - rather than just having textbooks flung at you, you get patient contact very early on which is definitely a priority for me. I like the mix of lectures and group learning too, and the range of backgrounds in the cohort, so you're not just getting biomedical science graduates but a mix of healthcare professionals and arts graduates too. (I say that when I'll be a neuroscience graduate haha)
(Also how cool were the anatomy sections?!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending