The Student Room Group

Wahayy I failed my A2 levels, what do I do. - please help. :(

Right, so I'm going to apologise for how long this will be in advance but I need advice so I think it's vital I go into detail. I'm also just going to put my pride aside + include my grades in this post bc I don't care enough anymore to be embarassed by them but I'd really appreciate it if the responses are somewhat considerate.

Okay so, obviously yesterday was A level results day + I'm not an A* student by any means, but I honestly, honestly expected to do a whole lot better than I did.

My AS subjects were Bio, Chem, Maths + Physics.

My A2 subjects were Bio Chem + Maths.

I literally still cannot believe the marks that I got from some units, I genuinely think there's been a mistake or something bc I came out of a few exams 100% knowing I had at least got an A from mark schemes, common sense etc + yet on my sheet it states otherwise but perhaps I'm simply not as good at exams as I thought. Well, exceedingly terrible.

Last year I completed my AS levels + came out with CDEU.

At the time, I thought I tried for them but tbh, I think I just thought they'd be like GCSEs + looking back, I most probably deserved those grades from the level of work I put in. They still came as an absolute shock to me though bc throughout the first year, I was getting A grades in all class tests. Every single one. I don't think I received below an A grade in any mocks etc. (Bar physics, ofc. )

So this year, I dropped physics + retook all my AS exams from last year as well as my A2 exams and slightly improved the AS grades of CDE to BCE in Chemistry, Maths + Biology, respectively. To say I am dissapointed would be a severe understatement but.. whatever.

My A2 grades however, were DEU.

In every single Biology exam from AS + A2, I got a U.

I got a fricking U in my resits.

Who the hell gets a U grade in a resit.

But it's done.

I also got an E or U in every A2 exam.

I don't enjoy Biology, truanted almost every lesson, found it really difficult + yeah, idk maybe that explains it.

I don't enjoy maths, didn't attempt a few of my final maths exams despite studying for them bc I was really fed up so maybe that explains that grade.

I don't know anymore.

I'm really confused with Chemistry tho. It's the only A level out of the 3, that I'm semi-okay at + I don't know wtf happened. I literally don't know. I was so dreadfully upset, rightfully angry + confused + wtf nah.

So instead of going into sixth form like I should have, I cried for hours, started developing a self-loathing attitude then went to bed for some much needed sleep + celebrated my *****y results afterwards.

Despite my beyond horrific results, I surprisingly had a pretty great day.

But I've calmed down now + over it all so I have decided to evaluate:

I don't know whether A levels are not for me.

I don't know whether the sciences + maths aren't for me.

I don't know whether it's bc it's just been a difficult year.

I don't know whether I took up way too many exams + did more than I could manage.

I don't know.

I would like to study Chemistry at University so apprenticeships + the like aren't for me.

I know that not everyone needs to go to uni but I personally would v much like to go bc I feel like it's a life experience that I wouldn't want to miss out on + I certainly still do believe that I'm capable of achieving something that I'd be proud of whether that be during higher education or after several attempts at A level.

I can't speak to any one professional from school bc I didn't go in yesterday so I'm resorting to asking advice from TSR.

Yes, I regret not going in but I can't do anything about it now.

I realise TSR isn't the best place either bc anyone who fails is deemed as relatively unworthy.

The funny thing was people were trying to comfort me by giving tons of examples of all these business men who got straight U's + are now earning £34897584839, but I don't want to be a business person, I only want to study some compounds that I can't pronounce the names of so it's not exactly accurate or reassuring.

Anyway, I did try really hard during the year, I looked back on stuff + it seems that I started revising in February.

But I don't know whether I burnt out when it got to June.

Or let myself go in the exam hall.

I feel so helpless hence why I'm here.

Tbh, after yesterday.. I am genuinely past caring + I don't actually care anymore about it.

About anything.

Nor do I wish to discuss this matter bc I'd more than happily go with the flow + live each day as it comes then laugh at the outcome.

But I know that in reality, I have to sort this out in order to continue breathing, I just don't know how.

So my first plan is that I retake all my A2 exams this year.

The problem with that tho is that I don't know if I like science anymore, I don't know if I'd be able to cope with doing the same work all over again. I'd be applying as a private candidate so I don't know if I'd have the motivation. What if I get bored + give up? Regardless of those doubts, it feels like the easier option since I have all the material.

My second "idea" is that I take up a whole new set of A levels. - English Lit, Photography + Art + Design.

The problem with that is I don't know what I'd end up doing at University, I'd have to move sixth form + do another 2 years at school + I don't know if my body is up for that. The good part is that I'd probably feel motivated to complete them bc it'd be something new + something I'm interested in.

The third option is that I go abroad + run away from my problems.

No, really.

Go to Africa for a week this August, then if I like it enough defer + stay there for a few months, volunteer + most likely get stressed out again once I return to England. This is infact what my parent would like me to do on the basis that I need "time off" + it'd benefit me. I don't know how that'd help in an academic light but there we go.

If anyone has any advice on what to do then please do share, I'm pretty desperate.

+ well, for anyone else who is sort of in the same position.. remember that you can't have a pretty rainbow without lots of rain. :'3

Scroll to see replies

I feel your struggle , i missed my firm for Warwick by miles
I understand how u feel op, felt like I worked hard and ended up with **** results....sorry I don't have advice but don't worry you're not alone...if you need someone to talk to I'm here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Anon_98
Right, so I'm going to apologise for how long this will be in advance but I need advice so I think it's vital I go into detail. I'm also just going to put my pride aside + include my grades in this post bc I don't care enough anymore to be embarassed by them but I'd really appreciate it if the responses are somewhat considerate.

Okay so, obviously yesterday was A level results day + I'm not an A* student by any means, but I honestly, honestly expected to do a whole lot better than I did.

I literally still cannot believe the marks that I got from some units, I genuinely think there's been a mistake or something bc I came out of a few exams 100% knowing I had at least got an A from mark schemes, common sense etc + yet on my sheet it states otherwise but perhaps I'm simply not as good at exams as I thought. Well, exceedingly terrible.

At the time, I thought I tried for them but tbh, I think I just thought they'd be like GCSEs + looking back, I most probably deserved those grades from the level of work I put in. They still came as an absolute shock to me though bc throughout the first year, I was getting A grades in all class tests. Every single one. I don't think I received below an A grade in any mocks etc. (Bar physics, ofc. )

So this year, I dropped physics + retook all my AS exams from last year as well as my A2 exams and slightly improved the AS grades of CDE to BCE in Chemistry, Maths + Biology, respectively. To say I am dissapointed would be a severe understatement but.. whatever.

But it's done.

I don't enjoy Biology, truanted almost every lesson, found it really difficult + yeah, idk maybe that explains it.

I don't enjoy maths, didn't attempt a few of my final maths exams despite studying for them bc I was really fed up so maybe that explains that grade.

I don't know anymore.

I'm really confused with Chemistry tho. It's the only A level out of the 3, that I'm semi-okay at + I don't know wtf happened. I literally don't know. I was so dreadfully upset, rightfully angry + confused + wtf nah.

So instead of going into sixth form like I should have, I cried for hours, started developing a self-loathing attitude then went to bed for some much needed sleep + celebrated my *****y results afterwards.

I don't know whether I took up way too many exams + did more than I could manage.

I don't know.

I would like to study Chemistry at University so apprenticeships + the like aren't for me.

I know that not everyone needs to go to uni but I personally would v much like to go bc I feel like it's a life experience that I wouldn't want to miss out on + I certainly still do believe that I'm capable of achieving something that I'd be proud of whether that be during higher education or after several attempts at A level.

I can't speak to any one professional from school bc I didn't go in yesterday so I'm resorting to asking advice from TSR.

I realise TSR isn't the best place either bc anyone who fails is deemed as relatively unworthy.

The funny thing was people were trying to comfort me by giving tons of examples of all these business men who got straight U's + are now earning £34897584839, but I don't want to be a business person, I only want to study some compounds that I can't pronounce the names of so it's not exactly accurate or reassuring.

Anyway, I did try really hard during the year, I looked back on stuff + it seems that I started revising in February.

Tbh, after yesterday.. I am genuinely past caring + I don't actually care anymore about it.

About anything.

Nor do I wish to discuss this matter bc I'd more than happily go with the flow + live each day as it comes then laugh at the outcome.

But I know that in reality, I have to sort this out in order to continue breathing, I just don't know how.

The problem with that tho is that I don't know if I like science anymore, I don't know if I'd be able to cope with doing the same work all over again. I'd be applying as a private candidate so I don't know if I'd have the motivation. What if I get bored + give up? Regardless of those doubts, it feels like the easier option since I have all the material.

My second "idea" is that I take up a whole new set of A levels. - English Lit, Photography + Art + Design.

The problem with that is I don't know what I'd end up doing at University, I'd have to move sixth form + do another 2 years at school + I don't know if my body is up for that. The good part is that I'd probably feel motivated to complete them bc it'd be something new + something I'm interested in.

No, really.

Go to Africa for a week this August, then if I like it enough defer + stay there for a few months, volunteer + most likely get stressed out again once I return to England. This is infact what my parent would like me to do on the basis that I need "time off" + it'd benefit me. I don't know how that'd help in an academic light but there we go.

If anyone has any advice on what to do then please do share, I'm pretty desperate.

+ well, for anyone else who is sort of in the same position.. remember that you can't have a pretty rainbow without lots of rain. :'3

Have you thought about the open university? Because they don't have entry requirements.
Reply 4
Original post by Anon_98

But it's done.

I don't know anymore.

I don't know.

About anything.

No, really.

Well if it makes you feel any better, i messed up too. I think its best to resit also after looking at all the options I had. If you want to do anything you have to put your heart and soul into it. Im just like you and im terrified at the fact i might get bored and give up during the re-sit but you won't know unless you try
Sorry to hear OP! Which exam board did you use for Biology? I also underperformed much to my own surprise (having felt the exams went well on the day) and I got a C in my biology unit 1 resit??? I have never got below an A in a unit 1 paper (I already had an A from last year but resat for more UMS)
Reply 6
Mate be proud , you took some hard academic subjects unlike half of tsr students who brag about their a* in subjects like breathing and cleaning tea pot
Original post by TSR Mustafa
I feel your struggle , i missed my firm for Warwick by miles

Sorry to hear mate, where are you heading then?
If you're really set on doing science you could do a course with an integrated foundation year.I know how you feel though.Foundation years tend to be easier than a levels.
Original post by Anon_98

But it's done.

I don't know anymore.

I don't know.

About anything.

No, really.

Have read it once, just having a think amd tagging the thread. All the info is useful and I have to sift through it.

Ok had a bit of time to think and gone through your post bit by bit. Some of the points are just me confirming bits to myself as follows:

1. 1. If you believe theres a mistake or severalmistakes, then you can go for a remark. Be warned though the rules have changedon remarks and there will only be a change in the case of a genuine error asopposed to a difference of opinion. This makes it much harder. You can ask fora clerical check to see they added all the scores up etc. You have to behonest, is it you are a poor student or were you getting much higher marks andare convinced you did well?2.

2. Its your money but be honest and note the chances of change are slim. Evenif there were some mistake a D or an E isn’t going to be of much help. It doesgive you peace of mind, but it depends whether you have the money to throw atit. You can also get your papers back.3.

3. On the good side I see you got A grades inmocks.4.

4. So you got BCE@AS and DEU @A2 Chemistry,Maths + Biology
A2 grades , were DEU.5.

5. You say you don’t enjoy Biology (why were youtaking it and if you truanted you deserve what you got).6.

6. You don’t enjoy maths and missed some of theexam?7.

7. The chemistry might be worth getting yourpaper back and then you can go through it with your chem. Teacher or look atthe model answers.8.

8. Nothing wrong with a cry and its admirableyou have laid out the detail here, so people can see where you are at.9.

9. It strikes me that A levels aren’t for you,but then I see you have done well in mocks plus there are other reasons such asbeing truant, being bored and unmotivated, finding things difficult etc Theyall contributed to your results.10.

10. You will just have to go through each questionand weigh up all the factors as to why you didn’t perform well. Attendance, didn’twork hard enough, found it difficult, didn’t revise, unmotivated, difficultpersonal circs. That should give you an idea.11.

11. It seems like there is massive room forimprovement, but in the subjects you chose then its unlikely you are going toget top grades.12.

12. To make change you have to understand whyyou failed plys you will need to decide if you are capable plys willing to changeyour ways by becoming a hardworking student that practices exams and learns howto score highly. Its a rude shock for you, but you now have the fruits of yourefforts doing it your way.13.

13. Do you really want to do Chemistry if so,then you really need to get a grip on your studies and work hard at improving.You don’t sound enthused about it. You would also need to do the other A levelsyou don’t enjoy and thats a whole different problem. I’d be sceptical aboutyour odds of making it, but if you worked really hard and have the ability,then go for it. Im a bit concerned whether its really you.14.

14. That means you need to go away and rethinkwhat A levels you could do and what degree might interest you. Once you starthitting BBB then you can go to reasonable unis or at least CCC.15.

15. You are being very good at not sticking your head in the sand.16.

16. Plan 1 retakes by all means, but how willyou make sure you improve, you don’t sound that motivated. Its the lack of realinterest that gives me doubts. Talk to your teacher. I’m not convinced youwould get a better outcome based on your retake of AS.17.

17. Plan 2. New A levels make sense, which wouldmean college and 2 years. What would be the point of English lit, photography- art and design? The latter two aren’tvery academic so it would restrict your choice of courses unless ofc they weredirectly relevant to art and design/ creative fields. There may be somedegrees, which are and its up to you to research and see if you fancy any.18.

18. Plan 3 isnt bad because you don’t have aclear idea what to do. You would have internet so you could research from thereif needed. Maybe get more detail for plan 2.19.

19. Ofc you could go and do BTECS at college, whichcan lead to Uni.20

20. Make a to do list and put more detail andthoughts on the issues I raised.

My impression

21. 21. You are always going to struggle with yourexisting A levels because you don’t like them , find them difficult and wontapply yourself to get your grades up to A-C. It requires hard work and acomplete change in mentality. Would you then be happy doing 3 more years of it?I’m not getting the feeling anything but a minor improvement would happen,which in turn still wouldn’t be enough to get you into a decent uni.22.

22. Different A levels are an option, you mightbe more adept at them. Youd still have to apply yourself.23.

23. Take a time out, talk to teachers, do someresearch and just accept you will make a plan that suits you and still has thepotential to get you to uni. It will require a change in attitude andapplication from you to make it happen.24.

24. Do some research on degrees and careersmaybe to give you something to aim for.25.

25. Do consider other options like advancedapprenticeships or BTECs . You cna always o to uni later.26.

26. Dont just accept any place at uni, its importantits at a place you want to go to on a course that you will enjoy and will be ofuse. Do some careers research. No need to give up on Uni aspirations, just getsmart and realistic on the path it will take to get there. GL

ps sorry about dodgy numbering it messed with the format.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sacred Ground
Sorry to hear mate, where are you heading then?

I've decided to take a gap year and resit a few modules at a CIFE ( expensive ikr)

I could get into a uni this year but i honestly don't think it's worth spending tens of thousands to go a university that isn't for me.
Maybe apply to a foundatation year for Chem?? I know how you feel, I love science so I decided to take bio at AS and I got an E after trying really hard! I wanted to take it on to A2 but the idea of having to resit AS alongside my A2 exams terrified me. I commend you for resisting everything even if you didn't do so well, I'd be amazed if you did as that is a massive amount of work. Maybe take on some easier alevels. I did sociology and English language, which are quite easy if you put in the effort. Maybe take some softer alevels along side Chem and reapply to uni, or as I mentioned before do a foundation year. Good luck :smile:
You sound very confused. You say you want to study chemistry but you also say you don't know if you like science anymore for example. You need some breathing space and time to think about what you really want. If that means a gap year then a gap year. If you decide you want to do chemistry you can go to uni later, you can retake modules during a gap year if you feel up to it, or wait a while and then do an access to science course.

There are tonnes of options for you, but no advice is going to be of any use to you until you know what you want, where you want to be and what it is you want to be doing. Once you've established that you can work out how you get there*
Original post by Anon_98

But it's done.

I don't know anymore.

I don't know.

About anything.

No, really.

you remind me of myself three years ago, I got BEE (in business, chemistry and biology), and I had U's in almost all my resits. And that really hurt after an awful year personally and after i put my all into it. Fortunately i got a place through clearing, as I was certain that i still wanted to do nursing so did a course that let me progess onto that (turns out that's not what i really wanted but thats a different story).
However, as you say you're not sure if you like science anymore, I wouldnt jump into the resit your A2 plan unless you were certain that's what you wanted. I would agree that giving yourself a break from education for a year could be really good for you.
If like me you were doing a crazy amount of resits then it could make perfect sense that you got burnout so if you did want to try resits then it could help that you were doing less.
Original post by CoolCavy
If you ever need any help/advice regarding art/product design (possibly photography too cos done a little of that ) then just give us a shout lovely and im more than happy to help :hugs:
you will be ok anon bc you are fabulous :cube: and i admire ur tenacity xx

Spoiler

Hey OP, hope you're doing good. I read through what you said, what others have said, and so I want to say something more too (in the hope of being helpful).

Despite what your A Level results would suggest, you ARE intelligent. Now this is not to give you false confidence, hear me out. There are multiple intelligences - some are common, some are perhaps not so common, but they all count. So maybe your intelligence does not lie in STEM subjects, big deal. By the looks of it, you're probably a talented writer (I mean you pulled off a really long TSR story without boring me to death) and so essay-based subjects could be your strength. Having said that, they may not be your only strength, and they may not even be worth pursuing.

You're probably wondering why I would even say such a thing, but listen; essay based subjects are VERY useful for a range of careers, and for getting into university. However, are you really willing to spend another 2 years of your life taking A Levels when many your age will be two thirds of the way through university? I mean, it's not necessarily a bad a idea, but it's not a good one either.

Your time is valuable, and it is also a finite resource (it honestly was not a chemistry pun). Time is more valuable than money. Once you've spent your time, you can't ask for a refund and get it back. Choose how you spend it wisely.

I know it's the typical thing to say, the thing that you probably really do not want to hear, but there is so much more to life than school. I mean that with all my being.

I have so much more to say, but I'll start concluding now because you may not want to read on or hear more about what I have to say.

One thing: go get yourself a big blank sheet of paper, start brainstorming the things that you want from life (e.g. your own home, a decent car, a cosy house, children, a partner, a degree etc.). And after you can't think of anything more, circle the 3 most important things to you on that list (or if that's too hard, the 5 most important things). Then after you've done that, start working backwards from that point - what do you have to do to get those things? Think creatively, not linearly. If you find that you can get to these things without a Chemistry degree, retaking your A2s, or choosing new subjects to study, then that is amazing because your life is already on track. Achieving the things that are most important to you in life is what success really looks like. And believe me - if you are thinking about the things that are truly the most important to you in life - you will be happiest if you make the choice to use your time wisely. Life is full of lessons, so when you lose - definitely don't lose the lesson.

And yeah, I wish you all the best in whatever you choose to do (;

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anon_98

But it's done.

I don't know anymore.

I don't know.

About anything.

No, really.

I would suggest doing a foundation degree in Chemistry. The "0" year, or preliminary year is just brushing you up A2 Chemistry, A2 maths and some further maths. I know for one Manchester uni does them, among other prestigious universities; if you pass the 0 year, you'll be entered for the first year of the proper course. Alternatively, you may use the grades from your prelim year to apply to other places eg UCL, Kings', Durham etc. If you do well.
Hey Anon!!

My advice is to go traveling! Some people may think you are running away from your problems, ignore them. When you travel it is like you are running to something, really discovering who you are and what you want without any peers influencing your decisions.

It really gives you the time to expand your horizons and gives you experiences that will change you for life.

I was unsure of whether I wanted to go to uni or not, didn't know what I wanted and it was really stressing me out. So I went traveling for a year, best decision I've ever made! Yeah I still don't know what I want to do as a career, but I do know that uni isn't for me. That's good enough for me.

What I'm trying to say is, you're young, go explore the world. Uni is always going to be there, you don't have to sign your life away straight away. Go unwind, experience new cultures, make great new friends, just enjoy yourself!

P.s If you do travel prepare to continue traveling with the "travel bug". It is real.
Seems like you might've taken on too much with all those resits, it's very difficult. You perhaps burnt yourself out.

You seem confused, and I'd say give it a few days or at least a day or two to just get yourself together. Then try to decide whether you want to pursue chem or not, as you sound confused about it. (Or take a year off education as somebody mentioned).

You could retake your A-levels and hope to improve on them. You could also apply for a foundation year. If you want to pursue chem.

Remember to relax, I understand this isn't an ideal situation for you and is stressful. But there are options available to you, It isn't the end of the world. Just take your time, and decide with a cool head what decision would be best for you. These things happen and we all experience setbacks in life, but there's always an alternative.

Good luck anon :smile:
I can relate OP. Perhaps the subjects aren't for you as A levels being for you too?

I did absolutely terrible in two of my exams and I felt awful and embrassed, and I still do. I am slowly getting over it and understanding that the subjects aren't for me.

I also learnt that A levels as a whole weren't for me either- Because of this I missed out on a fantastic course and I have to take something that is not as great because I didn't get the grades.

In all honestly, I think that a different approach would be better instead of A levels. I would give yourself a hard think and think of something that interests you that you would like to study (Just my advice).

By the way anon, don't be too hard on yourself. You tried your best and those subjects were pretty hard so that is impressive. You aren't the only one that bombed out and trust me I know how it feels to be surrounded by a bunch of people that did way better than you and you know you've worked just as hard or even more than them.

Good luck OP and wish you all the best xx

Latest