The Student Room Group

Remarks for A2 exams 2016 ?!

Hi, is it true that you can't get papers remarked anymore, like say if you're 1ums off an A ?

thanks guys

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
Hi, is it true that you can't get papers remarked anymore, like say if you're 1ums off an A ?

thanks guys

I'm going to tag in @The Learn Ranger as he can let you know about this :smile:
Original post by fefssdf

thanks guys

No, you can still get papers re-marked.

But there have been some changes to the way papers are re-marked that mean you might be slightly less likely to be moved up a very small number of marks - but genuine errors will still be picked up on and corrected.

Remember your marks can go up OR down.

Hopefully you won't have to worry about re-marks! Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by The Learn Ranger

But there have been some changes to the way papers are re-marked that mean you might be slightly less likely to be moved up a very small number of marks - but genuine errors will still be picked up on and corrected.

oh ok so I guess I might as well just go for the remark if I'm a mark off or something cause the chances of it going down like 10 marks or something is very slim aha
Original post by fefssdf
oh ok so I guess I might as well just go for the remark if I'm a mark off or something cause the chances of it going down like 10 marks or something is very slim aha

The way re-marks used to work is that a senior examiner would re-mark the paper and their mark would stand, whatever it was.

Now if the senior examiner has a slight difference of judgement from the original marker but that difference is the result of a 'legitimate academic interpretation' then the original mark will stand.

That means there will probably be less minor adjustment of marks through re-marks although real 'errors' will still be picked up.

But we don't yet know how this will play out in practice ....
Reply 5
The way re-marks used to work is that a senior examiner would re-mark the paper and their mark would stand, whatever it was.

Now if the senior examiner has a slight difference of judgement from the original marker but that difference is the result of a 'legitimate academic interpretation' then the original mark will stand.

That means there will probably be less minor adjustment of marks through re-marks although real 'errors' will still be picked up.

oh fgs why can't they just be nice and say well lets give them the extra marks as someone not getting into uni for the sake of a few marks is a bit unfair lets be honest... examiners are taught to mark positively so this change in the system is basically saying that if you have a tough marker then thats tough

Okay so just to clarify...
Say a more 'subjective' subject such as Geography is being remarked. If a question is originally marked 14/20, and when remarked the new examiner thinks it is worth 17/20, then these new marks won't be administrated and instead they will only pick up on objective errors? (e.g. if a multiple choice question is incorrectly marked as wrong).

If so, this is so unfair.
I would have thought that 17/20 compared to 14 is a 'significant error', especially if there is other evidence of undermarking across the paper.

Maybe one or even two marks out of 20 could be matters of interpreting the mark scheme, a difference of four is more likely to be a 'significant error'.

The error needs to be 'significant' rather than 'objective' to get changed.
I would have thought that 17/20 compared to 14 is a 'significant error', especially if there is other evidence of undermarking across the paper.

Maybe one or even two marks out of 20 could be matters of interpreting the mark scheme, a difference of four is more likely to be a 'significant error'.

The error needs to be 'significant' rather than 'objective' to get changed.

Great. So let's say an answer is 14/20 but the new examiner thinks it's a 15/20, they won't change it to that?

I'm getting my geography AS remarked, and I'm 2 raw marks away from an A. So if that's the case, then I'm screwed :\
Reply 9
Original post by ninapudding
Okay so just to clarify...
Say a more 'subjective' subject such as Geography is being remarked. If a question is originally marked 14/20, and when remarked the new examiner thinks it is worth 17/20, then these new marks won't be administrated and instead they will only pick up on objective errors? (e.g. if a multiple choice question is incorrectly marked as wrong).

If so, this is so unfair.

No. the 17/20 would stand. It means if an examiner read over it and thought, this is very cose to 15/20, but I can see how it misses the 15 and is a 14 but I might have given 15 probably, the 14 will stand.

If the examiner is marking a 14 and end up thinking it is worth 17, then the 17 stands as that is more than just "academic interpretation".
Original post by ninapudding
Great. So let's say an answer is 14/20 but the new examiner thinks it's a 15/20, they won't change it to that?

I'm getting my geography AS remarked, and I'm 2 raw marks away from an A. So if that's the case, then I'm screwed :\

It's not so much a question of one question - if the original marker is one mark out on every question, that could end up as a 'significant error' overall.

To be honest, nobody is quite sure how this change of emphasis is going to play out but it is likely that there will be fewer small mark changes.

Good luck anyway.
Reply 11
Getting my English paper remarked as I'm 2ums off an A overall ; how long will I have to wait to find out if it's gone up ?
Original post by fefssdf
Getting my English paper remarked as I'm 2ums off an A overall ; how long will I have to wait to find out if it's gone up ?

Depends a lot on the exam board but if it's already been submitted I'd generally expect it back within 2 weeks.
Original post by fefssdf

Hey mate - how did you do? Did you get into your firm?
I'm 4 UMS (2 raw marks) off an A in Physics, should I go for the remark for both Units?
Original post by ukcolBehT
I'm 4 UMS (2 raw marks) off an A in Physics, should I go for the remark for both Units?

Get copies, get a view on the marking. Try the best bet. (Don't do both at the same time as I have seen one go up and one down.)
I ordered the Priority Access to script.
Does it come with the markscheme?

Hi,

Do you know if you get a remark on a paper and your overall grade goes down but you have a confirmed university place can this university then revoke your place
Original post by Trackstar
Do you know if you get a remark on a paper and your overall grade goes down but you have a confirmed university place can this university then revoke your place

They can.
Original post by ukcolBehT
I ordered the Priority Access to script.
Does it come with the markscheme?

No but your teachers have access to it.

Quick Reply