The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford on a gap year for resits

My grades at A level were CBB, but econ is only a few marks off an A and I'm getting a remark - one paper was an A and the other was a D. The reason why I didn't get the grades I wanted was because I didn't revise for Econ3 or Bio4. I got As on Bio5 and Econ4. The C was in another subject which I will leave as it is. I will take another A level in the gap year.

Would I be able to make a competitive application to study PPE at Oxford by resiting in order to get A*A*A?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm sorry to seem rude or impatient, but I'd really appreciate a reply because I have to make a decision soon.
Original post by themanename
My grades at A level were CBB, but econ is only a few marks off an A and I'm getting a remark - one paper was an A and the other was a D. The reason why I didn't get the grades I wanted was because I didn't revise for Econ3 or Bio4. I got As on Bio5 and Econ4. The C was in another subject which I will leave as it is. I will take another A level in the gap year.

Would I be able to make a competitive application to study PPE at Oxford by resiting in order to get A*A*A?

Are those grades cashed in? If so, my understanding is you would have to declare the CBB grades. Short of a miracle with your TSA score and with no extenuating circumstances for those grades, I doubt you would be considered a competitive applicant :nah:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Are those grades cashed in? If so, my understanding is you would have to declare the CBB grades. Short of a miracle with your TSA score and with no extenuating circumstances for those grades, I doubt you would be considered a competitive applicant :nah:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know if they are cashed in. How do I find out? Thanks for the reply.
Original post by themanename
I don't know if they are cashed in. How do I find out? Thanks for the reply.

Ask your school. I imagine they probably have cashed them in :yes: You are probably better off settling on a more realistic application elsewhere. Or redoing A2s, getting new grades and only THEN trying Oxford :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, you wouldn't, be realistic
What does cashing in a levels mean ? Can you still resit A2 papers later on, get a higher mark and then get a higher grade overall ? For example at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anymorefor123
What does cashing in a levels mean ? Can you still resit A2 papers later on, get a higher mark and then get a higher grade overall ? For example at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never entirely understood what it means in practice - all I know is that if a result is "cashed in", you can't omit it from your UCAS form. Afaik :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending