The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Redcoats
Well I'm sure you're aware that I holistically taught myself all of the A-Level Maths and Further Maths modules.

How did you do it? and was it separate from any colleges or alongside other A-levels?
Original post by brainzistheword
How did you do it? and was it separate from any colleges or alongside other A-levels?

Yes; it was not in conjunction with any colleges. I accidently stumbled across an FP1 book in my local library and I alacritously, yet lightly, read over some areas. I was instantly intrigued and soon studied the bible-like book; the content was easy enough. Before I knew it all modules were complete (I did not stop after FP1).
Yes; it was not in conjunction with any colleges. I accidently stumbled across an FP1 book in my local library and I alacritously, yet lightly, read over some areas. I was instantly intrigued and soon studied the bible-like book; the content was easy enough. Before I knew it all modules were complete (I did not stop after FP1).

Ah that's really interesting. May I ask how you went about setting up the admin side of it (registering and taking the exams). Thanks :smile:
Ah that's really interesting. May I ask how you went about setting up the admin side of it (registering and taking the exams). Thanks :smile:

Oh you're misunderstanding! I haven't done any of the actual exams, simply studied all the content; my school doesn't allow early application and I thought it would be better to take the exams at the orthodox time to ensure my knowledge is entirely sound before then, and so I can handle anything that is thrown at me! That way I have better chance of 100% in the exams to come!
Oh you're misunderstanding! I haven't done any of the actual exams, simply studied all the content; my school doesn't allow early application and I thought it would be better to take the exams at the orthodox time to ensure my knowledge is entirely sound before then, and so I can handle anything that is thrown at me! That way I have better chance of 100% in the exams to come!

Oh! I understand now. (Silly me!) That's a good idea all the same and I hope it helps you to get 100% scores. Do you happen to know anyone who has self taught and sat exams for A-levels?

Thanks for all your help :smile:
Oh! I understand now. (Silly me!) That's a good idea all the same and I hope it helps you to get 100% scores. Do you happen to know anyone who has self taught and sat exams for A-levels?

Thanks for all your help :smile:

Apologies, but I know of no one. If you need help with anything else, do just ask.
Apologies, but I know of no one. If you need help with anything else, do just ask.

No worries, and thank you :smile:
Any revision tips?
I am struggling with maths and english possibally cuz I am doing the new gcses and it is getting harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thomb
I only got a C at gcse and found maths a level really hard so I dropped it now I do art history and can't do architecture at uni. I would love to do architecture but need maths. Should I start with gcse maths or try and do a level again so I can do architecture?

you don't need maths A'level to apply for architecture.
Original post by Raji2001
Any revision tips?
I am struggling with maths and english possibally cuz I am doing the new gcses and it is getting harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which texts are you studying for English?

Basically, if you are really struggling then start earlier in terms of revision and for maths use past paper after past paper - even really old ones or other exam boards (old specifications, as I assume there are very few new ones).

For English Lit, write key quotes and make sure you know the texts inside out, with different interpretations of character's behaviours/the setting. For language, practise writing in different formats and get them marked for feedback, so you know where you are going right and where you need to improve.

If you need any help with specific questions or essays feel free to PM me :smile:
Thanks fof the reply
btw do u have any a* essays that u have done in prep for ur english exam .
Will be very helpful for me.
Thanks fof the reply
btw do u have any a* essays that u have done in prep for ur english exam .
Will be very helpful for me.

Which English exam are you referring to? The language or the Literature? And if it is Literature which texts do you study? :smile:
I am studing the christmas carol, an inspector calls and macbeth.
It will really help me thanyou
Thankyou
I am studing the christmas carol, an inspector calls and macbeth.
It will really help me thanyou

The only one I can really help you with is An Inspector Calls, as I haven't studied the other two. Do you have the revision guides such as York Notes, as they extremely helpful :smile: In the meantime, I'll try and find all my old papers so I can send them to you :smile:
Thank you sooo much and thankyou again for the tips as well.
And for poetry is it a good idea to learn the 15 poems that i am doing of by heart or just pick out the important words/lines and remember them. Cant quite make up my mind.
And for poetry is it a good idea to learn the 15 poems that i am doing of by heart or just pick out the important words/lines and remember them. Cant quite make up my mind.

Is this for AQA Unseen poetry - as I did WJEC. But that doesn't really matter anyway. I'd make sure I was familiar with all the poems and knew how they all were, but not necessarily learn them off by heart - unless you feel you could. I'd just note down a few key points from each one, and keep going over the entire poem in the run up to exams :smile:
Ok
Is there any chace that u found the essays that u wrote. If not it doesnt matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending