The Student Room Group

Why do poor people have children?

I don't understand why people who can barely afford to look after themselves will then bring children into the world who will grow up with a low standard of living.

Scroll to see replies

It's because welfare systems give them money for having children. Also, it is because they want children.
"Welfare shouldn't be a choice"
"The rich being able to stash their cash on offshore havens shouldn't be a choice!"

P.S. those who can "barely look after themselves" btw... doesn't matter how much money they earn. If they spunk it on holidays and nights out then obviously they don't put themselves first
(edited 7 years ago)
Because they want children????? Just because they have a deprived socio-economic status shouldn’t mean they are denied the chance of parenthood. Live n let live
Reply 4
of child benefit
More children=more benefits
Reply 6
Original post by TercioOfParma
It's because welfare systems give them money for having children. Also, it is because they want children.

The welfare system needs to change. It was originally put in place to encourage people to have children after the war, but now its just being abused. Moreover, wanting something should not be justification for getting it. I want to travel the world but I don't have the income for it
Just wondering if they ever read about how the family of 18 were raised on a bakery business...
Reply 8
Original post by frankielogue
Because they want children????? Just because they have a deprived socio-economic status shouldn’t mean they are denied the chance of parenthood. Live n let live

I agree with 'live and let live' but my hard earned money should not be going towards people producing children. So I have a right to be annoyed.:angry::angry:
They enjoy sex, which leads to children.
Original post by catholicgirl
I agree with 'live and let live' but my hard earned money should not be going towards people producing children. So I have a right to be annoyed.:angry::angry:

I don’t think you understand how little child benefits are.
Eldest/Only child = £20.70 a week
Other children = £13.70
Don’t forget the benefit cap.
So personally you are bearing a tiny part of this, considering over 30million people are working and paying taxes
I don't understand why people who can barely afford to look after themselves will then bring children into the world who will grow up with a low standard of living.

I think if you have a decent background, you'll have career aspirations and other goals that will perhaps discourage you from having children so you'll use contraception. If you have no plans for your life, you have no reason to put off having kids til a later time.
Reply 12
Cheap alternative to turkey at Christmas.
They tend to want instant gratification rather than plan stuff out which might occur in the future from what I have seen from "poor" people in my area. Like the mindset is a lot different from the typical tsr middle class parent I am guessing, where if they were knocked up their parents would probably not congratulate them and would instead encourage an abortion/further study, and marriage and a kid in the early to late 30's. To the poorer folk many family members will join in the celebrations on Facebook etc. To give them some credit, the teen mums in my year at school who have 3-4 year olds are pretty adamant that they want their child to do well at school, even though they themselves messed around/didn't really give a damn. Whether this will result in them actually doing the reading/writing with the child after school is another matter, but the intention is there
Reply 14
Pull out game is weak.
Original post by TercioOfParma

But then you have the cost of raising a child negating that so if anyone is trying to make a buck from that then that's pretty sad. Income support is around £60pw and child benefit can be claimed even if you earn £40,000. I think it's more likely that they want children and a family, quite a normal thing to want even if you're poor.

WRT your screenname

A few reasons:
- the joy of watching a human being develop
- child benefit
- a sense of achievement
- accident
- the pride of watching a human being develop
- pretty much all of the reasons that rich people have children
The girl in the corner looks way too excited.
Reply 18
Original post by frankielogue
I don’t think you understand how little child benefits are.
Eldest/Only child = £20.70 a week
Other children = £13.70
Don’t forget the benefit cap.
So personally you are bearing a tiny part of this, considering over 30million people are working and paying taxes

But the child benefits culture is destroying society. People will have so many children that they are better off staying at home claiming benefits rather than working. This leads to parents setting a bad example to their children then the children will then follow in the parents footsteps by claiming benefit and having children they cannot afford and this will be done by their children and their children's children. It's a never ending poverty cycle. IT NEEDS TO STOP:angry::angry::angry::angry:
It's because they're scum

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending