The Student Room Group

Dentistry Entry Requirements - variable? (2017 entry)

Hi guys, I really want to study Dentistry at uni but unfortunately my AS grades are BBCC. My sixth form will likely predict me AAB (one grade higher) but I know that those grades don't fit the requirements for Dental school (a typical offer would be AAA). I know I can do better than this, and these grades were a real shocker to me and my family. I have all the required work experience, and I can tick all the boxes in my personal statement, and I am fairly confident about the UKCAT as well. Is there still any hope for me?
Reply 1
So you mean I should apply for 2018 entry, next year?
Original post by teef
If you can't get the AAA predictions then wait until your A2 results and apply with the achieved grades (if you get AAA). You could still sit the UKCAT this year as a practise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you cannot sit the UKCAT as practice! The score you achieve is valid for 2 years and if you take it more than once during the 2 years then it is regarded as distrustful and you will be rejected.
As someone who's gone through the whole process, I think you're better off waiting until you have your A2 results because the BBCC might let you down.*
Hi, I'm also in a similar position as I only achieved ABBB AS levels s I'm worried that I'm at a disadvantage compared to other candidates who achieved AAAA at AS :frown: Do you still think I have a reasonable chance of getting dentistry offers as I know I can get AAA predicted grades?
Original post by skittles17
Hi, I'm also in a similar position as I only achieved ABBB AS levels s I'm worried that I'm at a disadvantage compared to other candidates who achieved AAAA at AS :frown: Do you still think I have a reasonable chance of getting dentistry offers as I know I can get AAA predicted grades?

Universities don't look at your AS level results because many students don't do the AS exams anymore. So it's really just to show your abilities and to help teachers predict your grades.Your results are alright for dentistry and as long as you can get the AAA prediction and work hard to achieve these results I don't see why you wouldnt have a chance, and also remember that its not just about the grades if you have a high ukcat, a rlly good personal statement then you would still be a strong applicant. :smile:
Reply 6
Hi everyone,
I'm really interested in doing dentistry because it sounds like an amazing and interesting course and job. At GCSE i got 1A*,7A's and 3B's. I am predicted A*AA at A-level. Will i be able to get into dentistry with these grades? Also do universities place a lot of importance on the ukcat?

Quick Reply

Latest