The Student Room Group

Anyone else worried about this?

The new AS level reforms...

How the hell are we supposed to retain all of last years information for A2, as well as the new info?

I think I'm OK, in that i'm only taking one reformed subject next year- psychology.

But, what about some of you guys who might be taking 4 reformed AS levels?

Good luck, wish you all the best for A2 =)
I did the old system but I don't see the point - at Uni I have had exams every semester. Some courses might have them yearly, but not after two years!
Reply 2
Original post by PhysicsGal
I did the old system but I don't see the point - at Uni I have had exams every semester. Some courses might have them yearly, but not after two years!

Exactly! Ugh, it's so annoying. Really worrying me.
Ive just finished the previous A levels and from my experience of retaking 2 exams in 2 subjects its soo much easier than the first year. Purely because, especially in psychology the A2 exams are harder and in the second year you learn more advanced psychological skills of evaluating which makes doing and remembering A1 easier. Also having just done the exams you did you will note what revision techniques worked well and will have good notes. Unlike mocks which are usually only one unit at a time.
My advice though allocate a weekly free period to review each AS subject and do like past questions with and without your notes. Even if you have to come in earlier a day you usually start late :smile:

-Went from ABC in AS to A*AA at A level this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
yh i am taking 3 reformed subjects and thye are chemistry physics and biology.

Going to be extremely hard , also i will be resitting my as maths to boast my ums.

But i feel the grade boundries should hopefully represent the change but it seems very hard.
Reply 5
Original post by LillyB14
Ive just finished the previous A levels and from my experience of retaking 2 exams in 2 subjects its soo much easier than the first year. Purely because, especially in psychology the A2 exams are harder and in the second year you learn more advanced psychological skills of evaluating which makes doing and remembering A1 easier. Also having just done the exams you did you will note what revision techniques worked well and will have good notes. Unlike mocks which are usually only one unit at a time.
My advice though allocate a weekly free period to review each AS subject and do like past questions with and without your notes. Even if you have to come in earlier a day you usually start late :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done on your grades! They're awesome!

So, do you recommend I allocate some of my free periods to the old information I got from this year? Will that be helpful or be getting in the way of my other work?

Thank you for the response :biggrin:
Original post by LillyB14

Posted from TSR Mobile

But surely you had as exams and a2 exams right?

so for one exam it was all as content, that is doable.

however with this new system some subjects like chemistry, all the exams you have at a2 are a mixture of a2 and as stuff so you literally need to know most things for all the exams, so little/no prioritising

and also we dont have the back up of our as exams , so you could get an A in as but inn a2 just flop and get a U.

In my opinion 3 exams for one subject that are supposed to cover knowledge that you supposedly learnt over 2 whole years is just stupid on soo many levels.
Reply 7
Original post by MathSci1999

But i feel the grade boundries should hopefully represent the change but it seems very hard.

Yesssss, this is soooo annoying- it didn't happen this year with me for psychology- the grade for an A was 76%. Way too high, imo. :'(
Reply 8
On the negative side, memorising is going to be a hell lot harder.
On the plus side, once you learn A2 stuff, AS stuff is going to look like kids play to you.
Also, the exams are going to be less memory-based and more problem-solving based.
Reply 9
Original post by oShahpo
On the negative side, memorising is going to be a hell lot harder. .

This is what I'm worried about D: There's gonna be too much information and my head will explode.
Original post by IRoranth
Yesssss, this is soooo annoying- it didn't happen this year with me for psychology- the grade for an A was 76%. Way too high, imo. :'(

ouch, that is very high especially given the relative grade boundries for other subjects of this new system.

What did you manage to get if you dont mind saying ?? :smile:
Reply 11
ouch, that is very high especially given the relative grade boundries for other subjects of this new system.

What did you manage to get if you dont mind saying ?? :smile:

I'm so disappointed, I got a B. I really thought I had an A in the bag for Psychology, so sad :frown:
The new AS level reforms...

How the hell are we supposed to retain all of last years information for A2, as well as the new info?

I think I'm OK, in that i'm only taking one reformed subject next year- psychology.

But, what about some of you guys who might be taking 4 reformed AS levels?

Good luck, wish you all the best for A2 =)

After you've done A2 content, AS content will seem easy in comparison and in fact will make more sense
Reply 13
Original post by Pinkberry_y
After you've done A2 content, AS content will seem easy in comparison and in fact will make more sense

I really hope this is the case, lool.
Well done on your grades! They're awesome!

So, do you recommend I allocate some of my free periods to the old information I got from this year? Will that be helpful or be getting in the way of my other work?

Thank you for the response :biggrin:

Depends on your college workload, but it's better to start preparing early. If you leave the psychology you learnt last year till 3 months before the exam it will feel like your are relearning it. I mean I started college at 2:15 on Tuesdays, instead of sleeping in, I came into the library.

- obviously only rerevise the subjects which you have exams in or if you are retaking

- also examiner reports are SO much more helpful than looking at mark schemes in psychology

Posted from TSR Mobile
But surely you had as exams and a2 exams right?

so for one exam it was all as content, that is doable.

however with this new system some subjects like chemistry, all the exams you have at a2 are a mixture of a2 and as stuff so you literally need to know most things for all the exams, so little/no prioritising

and also we dont have the back up of our as exams , so you could get an A in as but inn a2 just flop and get a U.

In my opinion 3 exams for one subject that are supposed to cover knowledge that you supposedly learnt over 2 whole years is just stupid on soo many levels.

I do understand and I personally wouldn't want to do the new spec myself but it doesn't sound hopeless. But everyone is in the same boat.
But you have a whole year to perfect your knowledge of the units you learnt last year, whilst making sure you learn this years content in class (not in rev time 😉)

FOR ANYONE DOING PSYCHOLOGY I RECOMMEND LOOPER REVISION (type it into google)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest