The Student Room Group

Why do poor people have children?

Scroll to see replies

Everyone should have the option of having children and a family so I don't think it's selfish. I do however cringe and feel bad for children who are born into families who already have loads of children and are on benefits and the parents have no jobs.
Original post by Joinedup
WRT your screenname

spot on!
WRT your screenname

Spot on!
Reply 23
Original post by Seamus123
spot on!

Not all Catholics are the same.I am quite liberal (and so are other young Catholics nowadays). DON'T PUT US ALL IN ONE BOX.:angry:
Reply 24
WRT your screenname

Not all Catholics are the same.I am quite liberal (and so are other young Catholics nowadays). DON'T PUT US ALL IN ONE BOX.
It's completely irresponsible and selfish. Scrap child benefit and privatise healthcare, that'll put them off.
Poor people are allowed to want children too.

I don't think they shouldn't be allowed to breed but if they really can't afford it then they should have the sense just just have one. Its only selfish when they have several and then complain about struggling to feed them but then this also happens to wealthier people too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by catholicgirl
Not all Catholics are the same.I am quite liberal (and so are other young Catholics nowadays). DON'T PUT US ALL IN ONE BOX.

I'm 68, and brought up a Catholic. There is nothing about the RCChurch that you can tell me. And, by the way, I have 7 children.
But the child benefits culture is destroying society. People will have so many children that they are better off staying at home claiming benefits rather than working. This leads to parents setting a bad example to their children then the children will then follow in the parents footsteps by claiming benefit and having children they cannot afford and this will be done by their children and their children's children. It's a never ending poverty cycle. IT NEEDS TO STOP:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Do you honestly think that people would have thousands of kids just to reach the benefits cap?
So your saying anyone who is poor shouldn't have children? You realise so many successful adults who contribute so much to society come from poor families. If anything growing up in a poor household usually inspires the child to make something of themselves so they don't have to raise their children in the same environment

So a liberal catholic is someone who's more judgemental about people they don't think are rich enough to have kids than an oldschool catholic :unsure:
Because, as you stated, they are people.
Reply 32
So a liberal catholic is someone who's more judgemental about people they don't think are rich enough to have kids than an oldschool catholic :unsure:

Saying poor people should not have children is not judgmental it is commonsense!
roll ends and say this g
How are any of you to know why a person from a poor background would want children? I come from a poor background and I find what a lot of you are saying really offensive.

Every situation is different and I don't think the situation boils down to the one reason. People who are poor may not be prepared for the situation (like a lot of parents are IMO, not just poor folk) or they may really want kids.

I don't condone those who do it for reasons like extra benefits etc but it doesn't always come down to that. My family haven't had the easiest life in terms of money, however my mum has had a rough time for her own unfortunate reasons, and I'd say living in a tight money environment has made me and my siblings better with money and appreciate things more. Oh and my siblings & I are all working or doing well academically. *
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Saying poor people should not have children is not judgmental it is commonsense!

Telling them not to have children is not common sense that is just being ignorant. Common sense is for the government to educate the poor more about the costs of having children.

Tbh poor families don't have that many children in the western world, the real problem is in the developing countries where they don't have a good welfare system nor a good access to education so they do not know much about contraception hence families from poorer backgrounds have a lot of children.
Reply 36
So what it's their Human right to have children.
People don't seem to be able to think for themselves. They watch these benefit bashing programmes and assume that all poor families are the same. I can't believe some of the crap on this thread.
Reply 38
Poor people tend to have children because, believe it or not, they are people just like you and hard-wired with the same innate instinct to reproduce.

Many poorer people tend to have children younger - some people say this is because they are less focused on other goals like university and a career as they don't see these as attainable objectives. They are therefore more focused on other life goals, like having a child.

I also just wana throw it out there that my Mum was very young and fairly poor when she had me and I turned out fine :smile: people having babies is a lovely thing. The amount of money you have isn't the only factor determining your suitability to be a parent.
Why so bitter? Cause you'll never find a boyfriend ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending