The Student Room Group

Need help taking legal action over Plymouth University please.

Hi,

Plymouth University made me an unconditional offer through clearing yesterday for their Optometry course, They said they would email me confirmation of the offer, and accommodation details. They told me not to do anything else, not to call or contact them, but to wait for their email,

Today they rang me back saying the course was full. I am obviously pissed off, as their offer lead me to refuse another offer. I rang them to make a complaint, and the complaints manager told me the reception staff had only received 3 days training for clearing, and apologised for any mistakes. He then said that he had no way of verifying the details, and when I gave him the time of the call he said calls weren't recorded.*

What do I do?*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So they made a mistake and you want to take legal action? For what exactly? This isn't America honey, we don't sue everyone and everything for simple issues.
Reply 2
Original post by AmusedDouche
Hi,

Plymouth University made me an unconditional offer through clearing yesterday for their Optometry course, They said they would email me confirmation of the offer, and accommodation details. They told me not to do anything else, not to call or contact them, but to wait for their email,

Today they rang me back saying the course was full. I am obviously pissed off, as their offer lead me to refuse another offer. I rang them to make a complaint, and the complaints manager told me the reception staff had only received 3 days training for clearing, and apologised for any mistakes. He then said that he had no way of verifying the details, and when I gave him the time of the call he said calls weren't recorded.*

What do I do?*

Have you tried ringing the university whose offer you turned down and asking if they'd still have you? Explain the situation etc.
Tom you're completely unreasonable and frankly are acting quite ignorantly. Do you not realise the impact of turning down offers and being mislead by someone who offered you a place, don't be so rude.
To the original poster; I suggest you talk to your sixth form/school and parents about your rights in taking action and going from there. Sorry about your situation
Hi,

What do I do?*

Did they make the offer formal on UCAS or just over the phone?*

If UCAS then it's a binding offer. If not, verbal contracts are binding, but much harder to prove and if there's no record of the calls I doubt there's anything you can really do*

[e] just re-read and noticed it's not on UCAS, sorry*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by niamhemily99
Tom you're completely unreasonable and frankly are acting quite ignorantly. Do you not realise the impact of turning down offers and being mislead by someone who offered you a place, don't be so rude.
To the original poster; I suggest you talk to your sixth form/school and parents about your rights in taking action and going from there. Sorry about your situation

I think the fact of the matter here is that OP stated they wish to take LEGAL ACTION against a UNIVERSITY. Granted, they have every right to be upset, and I feel for them, but the actual thought process for this thread's title is laughable.
Original post by IWMTom
I think the fact of the matter here is that OP stated they wish to take LEGAL ACTION against a UNIVERSITY. Granted, they have every right to be upset, and I feel for them, but the actual thought process for this thread's title is laughable.

It's not laughable at all. They have wasted a year of OP's life by making an offer and retracting it as OP has turned down another opportunity and lost out. Also, if Optometry is one of the courses where this was the last year that the NHS would fund it, then this uni has potentially just cost OP an incredible amount of money. That's not unreasonable to sue over
Original post by IWMTom

what's laughable is your lack of empathy, if they were offered an unconditional and therefore turned down other offers only to be let down by the uni,they have every right to take it to court
Reply 8
Original post by infairverona
It's not laughable at all. They have wasted a year of OP's life by making an offer and retracting it as OP has turned down another opportunity and lost out. Also, if Optometry is one of the courses where this was the last year that the NHS would fund it, then this uni has potentially just cost OP an incredible amount of money. That's not unreasonable to sue over

I highly doubt anyone would find the University liable for damages in such a case - what case is there to answer? The University will have pretty expensive lawyers, and unless OP self funds for very very very good representation (they won't get legal aid for this) then they have no chance. Solid facts, I'm afraid.
Reply 9
Original post by niamhemily99
what's laughable is your lack of empathy, if they were offered an unconditional and therefore turned down other offers only to be let down by the uni,they have every right to take it to court

It is not in the OPs best interests to pursue this through a courtroom; the outcome will not help them.

EDIT:

I thought an offer wasn't legally binding until they accept it on UCAS Track???
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

What do I do?*

I'm afraid whilst it's extremely frustrating, because the phone conversation wasn't recorded it will simply be your word against theirs and a he said this she said this situation. Best thing now to do is go on clearing and find another uni and course and move on with your life
Reply 11
I agree with Tom... What I mean is, you cant prove ANYTHING. Its a waste of time and finance and so you should instead calll up the other universities and explain the issue to them.
My advice - get over it.

The staff are under enough stress as it is, it's perfectly normal that they'll make one tiny mistake among the hundreds of calls they're receiving.

Forget about Plymouth, forget about the uni you rejected, and move on. If you have to wait another year then so be it. If anything, this falls on you for missing your firm and insurance offers.
Original post by #ChaosKass
My advice - get over it.

The staff are under enough stress as it is, it's perfectly normal that they'll make one tiny mistake among the hundreds of calls they're receiving.

Forget about Plymouth, forget about the uni you rejected, and move on. If you have to wait another year then so be it. If anything, this falls on you for missing your firm and insurance offers.

I think that's a little harsh! I'd be gutted and annoyed if this happened to me, especially if I'd turned down my other offers to accept this one. I think there's every reason to try - though I would say it's best to talk to your school/sixth form first and see what they think. :smile: Good luck with it and don't listen to the bad stuff on here x
Original post by IWMTom
I highly doubt anyone would find the University liable for damages in such a case - what case is there to answer? The University will have pretty expensive lawyers, and unless OP self funds for very very very good representation (they won't get legal aid for this) then they have no chance. Solid facts, I'm afraid.

I didn't give any indication as to how successful the case would be. I was responding to your comment that it was laughable for OP to even consider what their rights were in this situation. As I said, if NHS funding ends for this course and OP cannot get into uni this year, having turned down another offer on the basis that Plymouth had made an unconditional offer, then OP stands to lose a lot of money. Incompetent staff for something as important as clearing should not be a valid excuse.*

*Verbal contracts are binding though just obviously can't really be proved. It's unfortunate for OP that the offer wasn't put on UCAS. However, someone asking about their legal rights when they have just lost potentially a hell of a lot of money as well as now having to waste a year of their life if they can't secure another offer is not laughable. Unis shouldn't be allowed to get away with this rubbish. Luckily I never had to bother with clearing but unis should really be able to cope better with it by now, it's not a new thing*
(edited 7 years ago)

*Verbal offers are binding though just obviously can't really be proved.

I think you mean 'verbal contracts are binding'? In general, no offer, verbal or otherwise, is binding.
Original post by Forum User
I think you mean 'verbal contracts are binding'? In general, no offer, verbal or otherwise, is binding.

Yes you're right of course. Obviously it's implied that OP accepted the offer though but my mistake!
Original post by #ChaosKass
My advice - get over it.

??? I wonder what perspective you're taking on this.

What relevance is the possibility that the staff "are under enough stress as it is". That is not acceptable, many jobs entail a great deal of stress that in no way justifies poor performance to the extent where someone cannot take the degree course they wanted.

And actually the OP quite clearly states that the problem lies in the lack of training of the admin staff, not stress. Which is solely the fault of the university.

The last sentence is so unfeeling. It's not his fault the uni ****ed up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Put your energy into finding a better university to attend, rather than ranting over some unprofessional administrative error.

You can do that later. :smile:
Yes you're right of course. Obviously it's implied that OP accepted the offer though but my mistake!

There's nothing in the OP to suggest that he did accept any offer that was made, at least the way I read it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending