The Student Room Group

I can only go to 1 open day but have 3 choices... help?

I have universities across the country booked, and my parents are willing to take me to to one of the following for an open day: Sussex, Bristol, or Exeter. My passion is film, and so I'm looking to take a film production or film studies course. All of them look fairly good on paper, so I was wondering if any users here had advice of which is the best, or personal feelings about any of the 3. Thanks.
Can you not travel on your own?
Exeter
Reply 3
Original post by Willow223rd
I have universities across the country booked, and my parents are willing to take me to to one of the following for an open day: Sussex, Bristol, or Exeter. My passion is film, and so I'm looking to take a film production or film studies course. All of them look fairly good on paper, so I was wondering if any users here had advice of which is the best, or personal feelings about any of the 3. Thanks.

I haven't been to Sussex or Exeter, but BRISTOL!! I loved Bristol so much, I felt as a uni it was really honest about the courses, the students are lovely and the city is bustling and full of life - also very beautiful! :smile:
Reply 4
Depends where you are starting from? Get on a train?
Reply 5
They're 'willing to take you' to those? Why not take yourself? Should make it cheap enough that you can go to all three (and more).

The only reason unis tolerate parents coming is that too few people have the independence to go by themselves. Plus, helicopter parents would throw a fit at the idea.
Reply 6
Original post by Artjen
Depends where you are starting from? Get on a train?

Northamptonshire. I could get a train to any of them, and probably will, but it's incredibly expensive.
Reply 7
Original post by greenmang0
Can you not travel on your own?

I am more than willing to go alone, but a) can't afford the train fare and b) most of the open days are on the same days as I'm supposed to work, and I can't have 3 more days off within this year.
Reply 8
Original post by knope
They're 'willing to take you' to those? Why not take yourself? Should make it cheap enough that you can go to all three (and more).

It's pretty expensive to do 3 long train journeys and returns, even alone. I don't earn enough, simply put.
Reply 9
Original post by erinls2
I haven't been to Sussex or Exeter, but BRISTOL!! I loved Bristol so much, I felt as a uni it was really honest about the courses, the students are lovely and the city is bustling and full of life - also very beautiful! :smile:

Thanks for the feedback!
My parents only took me to one open day.
I got to the rest by my self on the train (including an over night stay in Newcastle)
Tbh I think it helped me.
I got a better sense of how far away the uni would be from home, how easy it would be to get home and the cost of travel.
If you can't face going to look round the uni by yourself, how will you be able to go to it by yourself next year?
It's pretty expensive to do 3 long train journeys and returns, even alone. I don't earn enough, simply put.

Yeah that's true. You may find that there are some affordable coaches though. The coach journeys are rarely enjoyable (crowded etc) but open days are really useful in my experience. Also some universities offer bursaries to help with the cost of travelling to their open days (I know Exeter does, but only for for one of its campuses, don't remember which) so there's that to consider. :smile:
Reply 12
Ask them to spend the money they would have spent on taking you, on a 16-25 railcard instead. Eexter is the most expensive on the train so go to Bristol and Sussex. You have to go to two, so you get an idea of what CAN be different between unis.
Those are all good Unis, and nobody can tell you the right one, but...

Take a look at the cities that all 3 are in. Do you have a car? Is it walkable? Which city has access to things you like? Which has societies you want to be part of?

Only attending one Open Day means you can't compare any. That's fine, since you're basically deciding which one you're going to, but there are so many factors you'll need to look at.
If you can't go on the actual open days, you could contact the specific department (of the subject you want to study) of those unis and organise an other day when you wouldn't be at work
Northamptonshire. I could get a train to any of them, and probably will, but it's incredibly expensive.

It you book in advance it can be OK. And a lot of Unis offer to subside your travel.
Reply 16
Original post by Lissy14
My parents only took me to one open day.
I got to the rest by my self on the train (including an over night stay in Newcastle)
Tbh I think it helped me.
I got a better sense of how far away the uni would be from home, how easy it would be to get home and the cost of travel.
If you can't face going to look round the uni by yourself, how will you be able to go to it by yourself next year?

I'd like to go alone, and might really try given some responses here.
This is a problem we have. We live in Northern Ireland. All of the unis my son may be interested in are in England or Wales. The ferry, a full day looking around not only the Uni but also the city or town the uni is in means staying overnight in a Travelodge or Premier Inn for at least one night as well. We're talking a few hundred pounds, just for visiting one uni. Sigh.
Original post by markova21
This is a problem we have. We live in Northern Ireland. All of the unis my son may be interested in are in England or Wales. The ferry, a full day looking around not only the Uni but also the city or town the uni is in means staying overnight in a Travelodge or Premier Inn for at least one night as well. We're talking a few hundred pounds, just for visiting one uni. Sigh.

Depends which ones you intend going to. It might actually prove cheaper to fly. check out Flybe. They fly into Cardiff Bristol and Exeter as well as m.any other airports and are usually cheaper. If you wish to pm I will advise you regarding Wales

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending