The Student Room Group

A level Boundaries

I would like to ask a question about the a levels boundaries. In economics i n AS i got a raw mark 57 (B) while getting an A was 59. However, my UMS mark was 83% and getting an A was 80. What did i get A or B??
Original post by joannatsingi
I would like to ask a question about the a levels boundaries. In economics i n AS i got a raw mark 57 (B) while getting an A was 59. However, my UMS mark was 83% and getting an A was 80. What did i get A or B??

That's confusing - I would contact your school about that. From the information given it honestly could be either, unless you misunderstood something but I doubt it.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
That's confusing - I would contact your school about that. From the information given it honestly could be either, unless you misunderstood something but I doubt it.

I ment in Unit 2 As
I ment in Unit 2 As

Sorry - that's not quite clear then :redface:

What does it say you got for Unit 1 and for Unit 2, and overall?
Sorry my previous message wasn't posted completely. Look I got B overall. In unit 1 i got 49/80 that's C. In Unit 2 i got 57/80,in raw that's B but i am confused because according to UMS that's 83/100 (A).

Are you sure it's not out of 120 for Unit 2?

Which exam board is this for?
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
Sorry - that's not quite clear then :redface:

What does it say you got for Unit 1 and for Unit 2, and overall?

Sorry my previous message wasn't posted completely. Look I got B overall. In unit 1 i got 49/80 that's C. In Unit 2 i got 57/80,in raw that's B but i am confused because according to UMS that's 83/100 (A).
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
Are you sure it's not out of 120 for Unit 2?

Which exam board is this for?

In unit 4(A2) is out of 120, in unit 1&2 is out of 80. it's edexcel international economics
you got an A in unit 2 and a C in unit 1 which averages to a B overall

Okay, I had a look at your spec ( I think ...) and all 4 units are out of 80.

Is it because 57/80 = 71% that you think it's a B? Or something to do with what 57 raw marks = in UMS? Because it just looks like you got a C in unit 1 and A in unit 2, so B overall
Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM
Okay, I had a look at your spec ( I think ...) and all 4 units are out of 80.

Is it because 57/80 = 71% that you think it's a B? Or something to do with what 57 raw marks = in UMS? Because it just looks like you got a C in unit 1 and A in unit 2, so B overall

Yes,that what is exactly what i thought about Unit 2.
Thank you very much about your help:smile:!! that's encourage me to retake unit 1 because i didnt finish it the day of the exam
Yes,that what is exactly what i thought about Unit 2.
Thank you very much about your help:smile:!! that's encourage me to retake unit 1 because i didnt finish it the day of the exam

Yeah, it's your UMS that counts. You could get 50% (making this up, and it'd be a very exterme case if it were real) in terms of raw marks in an exam and still get maybe 80% or 90% UMS if grade boundaries were really low, equally you could get 97% of the marks and get 90% of the UMS or something when there's high boundaries.
Original post by SeanFM
Yeah, it's your UMS that counts. You could get 50% (making this up, and it'd be a very exterme case if it were real) in terms of raw marks in an exam and still get maybe 80% or 90% UMS if grade boundaries were really low, equally you could get 97% of the marks and get 90% of the UMS or something when there's high boundaries.

yea i understand. the a levels are very demanding in terms of the grade boundaries

Quick Reply

Latest