Scroll to see replies

Original post by jenoverboard
Hello, I recently got my Scottish Higher results:

Chemistry - A, band 2 (83%)
Computing - A, band 2 (80%)
English - A, band 1 (83%)
Mathematics - A, band 1 (97%)
Modern Studies - A, band 2 (73%)

As a Computer Science hopeful, will the number of A band 2s I have disadvantage me in my application?

(National 5 results were Chemistry, Computing, English, French, Mathematics, Modern Studies & Physics all at grade A)

Hello and thanks for your question. yes, the A2s in Chemistry and Computing will put you at something of a disadvantage but you have a very strong Maths result so that may well balance things up. I would say that on paper you aren't going to be the strongest but are not out of contention.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

Hello, I recently received my AS grades at A in Psychology, B in History and B in Geography. (I was disappointed as i was expecting AAA and Geography is still old spec so it is 50% of my overall A-Level) My GCSE's are 4A*, 4A's and 1B, 1C (i was predicted all B's and C's). For A-level i am predicted A*AA (with the A* in Psychology)...i was hoping to get this up to A*A*A but as i got a B in Geography my school won't predict me an A* in it. My only option is to resit...should I? I wish to study Geography at University, do i have a shot at Cambridge, or should i not bother applying? Also, is it worth doing an EPQ, to make up for my poor AS grades? Thank you
Reply 522
Hello,
I want to study mathematics at cambridge. I got my results yesterday. They are 1A* 4As. I sat my maths A level in year 12 and got 94%. For my AS level I got 93% in physics, 90% in chemistry, 87% in Further maths (although I want to get some of the F.Math units remarked), Economics 82% . Is this good enough?

Maths ums :C12 200/200 c34 190/200 m1 87/100 s1 86/100
f.maths ums : f1 87/100 s2 95/100 m2 80/100
Hello and thanks for your question. yes, the A2s in Chemistry and Computing will put you at something of a disadvantage but you have a very strong Maths result so that may well balance things up. I would say that on paper you aren't going to be the strongest but are not out of contention.

Thanks for your reply! Pretty much as expected, to put into context no one that sat higher chemistry or computing in my school got a band 1 for either subject - I was 2nd overall for computing and was 1st in my prelim examination for it (which I received an award for) - should this be mentioned in my reference to allow admissions to understand that relatively I did well? I of course completely understand that the A2s are a hindrance, thank you for the reply again!

Just wondering whether I would receive an interview with my grades or be flat out rejected?
Original post by champ_mc99
Apparently not lol vvvv

what jneill said
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

Hi I had a place at Cambridge but lost it because of my results. I don't know what to do - there's nowhere else I want to go/ nothing else I want to do and my place is totally gone. Would you recommend reapplying? Maybe to a different college? I am waiting for priority remarks but it doesn't seem likely they will improve a whole grade. It feels like my life has fallen apart:frown:(
Original post by family'sfailure
Hi I had a place at Cambridge but lost it because of my results. I don't know what to do - there's nowhere else I want to go/ nothing else I want to do and my place is totally gone. Would you recommend reapplying? Maybe to a different college? I am waiting for priority remarks but it doesn't seem likely they will improve a whole grade. It feels like my life has fallen apart:frown:(

In the exact same situation... What subject were you going for?
Original post by Poppycharlotte
Apparently my application is in the summer pool so if you want to pick it up that'd be really cool and probably make my entire life, thank you Christ's :redface:

Sorry! I hope you got picked out by someone. There was a fair amount of movement, a bit more than usual.
Original post by patientdoctor
Hi there,

I am applying for Economics at Cambridge and achieved an A in maths, physics and economics AS. I also sat my A2 maths a year early so I got an A* in that but my school does not 'cash' this result in until the end of next year. Next year I am doing my further maths AS and A2- would it be better for me to cash in my A* in maths now or does it not make a difference?

By the end of next year I will have four complete A levels but if I don't cash in my A* now then my application will look like I only did 3 AS subjects which I feel might look weaker - what should I do?

Also, if I do cash it in this year then will it go towards an offer if I am made one? For example if the offer was A*A*A would my A* from year 12 mean I only have to get A*A next year?

Thanks!

For us at Cambridge it doesn't matter whether you cash it in or not as you have to declare the module results in the online SAQ that is unique to Cambridge. In terms of your offer that is handled on a case-by-case basis. There is a A*A*A standard offer for Economics. You might get an A*A but you might get an A*A*A offer, it's impossible to say at this stage.
Hello again,

I have a few questions on the contextual data Cambridge uses, for my school's GCSE performance is the year my GCSEs were obtained used or an average over past years? Also does the amount of students getting in to Oxbridge include unsuccessful offer holders?

Thanks in advance
Hi Admissions Tutor,

I've just got my ASs back for Latin and Maths, averaging 96/100 for Latin with 100 in language, and 90+ in all maths modules. I'm wanting to study classics.

My question is how much do you weight each element of your admissions process? As in would you value grades over interviews or admissions test?

Moreover, how does this compare to Oxford and are my ASs good enough to consider Oxbridge classics?

Thank you very much for any advice you have
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anujsr
I have done the IAL

Maths
C12-200/200
C34-190/200
S1-86/100
M1-87/100

Fmath

F1-87/100 (going to remark)
M2-80/100 (going to remark)
S2-95/100

Your results are certainly good enough to apply, yes. Beyond that, it's impossible to say what might happen for certain. Both your Mechanics modules are a little low which would be a concern and it would be good if you FP1 went up on remark but if you do well in other aspects of the application then you stand a chance of an offer.
Sorry! I hope you got picked out by someone. There was a fair amount of movement, a bit more than usual.

I didn't sadly :frown: However, if my priority remarks lead to my grades meeting my original offer (before the 31st) does this mean my college will have to reverse the rejection and accept me/make an offer for deferred entry?
Original post by AATT
Helloo

Here's what's happened:

Doing AS Levels in Psychology, Maths, English Lit and French and thinking about HSPS at Cambridge. I got AAAB with B in French, but I'm one raw mark from an A so getting my speaking exam remarked. I did surprisingly well in English lit and I was deadd set on dropping it, but it would kind of be unwise not to. So I'm wondering if my application would be more competitive if I carried on with all my A-Levels? I know Cambridge don't discriminate against those Doing 3 A-Levels, but surely if I perform well on a 4th a level too they can't ignore that!

You need to weigh up whether it is worth doing a fourth A Level and whether it will impact on your other subjects. We'd much rather see a student do very well in 3 subjects than quite well in 4. I read too many files in the Summer Pool today of candidates who had done 4 or 5 A Levels and got straight As but no A*s and I couldn't help but wonder if they would have made the offer if they'd stuck to three A Levels.
In the exact same situation... What subject were you going for?

HSPS what about you? At least you were in the summer pool - I wasn't even put in that:///
I didn't sadly :frown: However, if my priority remarks lead to my grades meeting my original offer (before the 31st) does this mean my college will have to reverse the rejection and accept me/make an offer for deferred entry?

I'm very sorry to hear that. Yes, if your priority remark comes in before 31 August then your college will honour the offer for this year as you will have made the conditions. If it comes in later than 31 August then your college will either accept you for this year if they have room or offer unconditionally for next if not. Best of luck with the remark. Accept your insurance at this stage because we can retrieve you from them if the remarks comes in and there is no point in missing out on good accommodation at your insurance.
Original post by family'sfailure

Also does it happen often that there is a huge mistake with marking?? Because i am not that close to my offer and I genuinely believed I did well in those exams.
Hi, I have a question about medicine applications. I know the standard offer is A*A*A. Would it matter which subjects had the A*s? So if it was Maths and Biology with Chemistry at an A?
Original post by vincrows
I 'think' it'd be easier (and safer!) to go via a back gate (or whatever they call it) on Storey's Way rather than going down that hill. It'd be nicer, quieter route that way, at least!

Yes, I think that's the way I'll go, easier and quicker than the Hill.
Original post by Jamwaq
Apologise if this is a silly question ...
If someone makes an open application (as undecided between several colleges) if they're interviewed but not taken by the college they were initially allocated to, will they still be pooled, if not outright rejected, to be potentially picked up by anther college?
Thanks

Yes, as @vincrows says, once you've been allocated to a college through the open system then you are treated as a direct applicant to the college and are eligible for pooling.