The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Are my grades good enough for St Andrews?

I want to study modern languages; French and Spanish.

GCSE's
A - English
A - maths
A* - French
A - Spanish
A - core science
A - additional science
A - further additional science
A* - geography
A - art
A* - RS

AS levels
B - French
B - Spanish
B - geography
B - art

EPQ - B

Would this make a strong enough application to St Andrews? Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You should definitely consider applying. So long as you are able to get your school to perhaps predict you better grades for A-Level than the straight Bs you got in AS (idk how A-Levels work tbh, I know AS and A2 all add up or smthn and you can get like fake 100% through UMS or whatever - I'm a Scots student lol - but if you can up your grades in A2 to meet the minimum def. apply! :biggrin:)
Also make sure your PS is banging, they really do seem to put a lot of emphasis on it..
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by JM_1998
You should definitely consider applying. So long as you are able to get your school to perhaps predict you better grades for A-Level than the straight Bs you got in AS (idk how A-Levels work tbh, I know AS and A2 all add up or smthn and you can get like fake 100% through UMS or whatever - I'm a Scots student lol - but if you can up your grades in A2 to meet the minimum def. apply! :biggrin:)
Also make sure your PS is banging, they really do seem to put a lot of emphasis on it..

Hi, do you go to St Andrews? If so, what course are you doing?
Reply 3
Original post by DarkEnergy

I'm starting next month (English Lit and Modern History, though I think I'll drop History eventually tbh..)
I fell in love when I visited last October and have basically researched everything about admissions because I was so determined to get in :lol:
Original post by JM_1998
I'm starting next month (English Lit and Modern History, though I think I'll drop History eventually tbh..)
I fell in love when I visited last October and have basically researched everything about admissions because I was so determined to get in :lol:

Ah cool, congrats! About the PS thing, where is its importance stated? Also, do St Andrews take contextual factors, such as going to an under-performing college, into account?
Reply 5
Ah cool, congrats! About the PS thing, where is its importance stated? Also, do St Andrews take contextual factors, such as going to an under-performing college, into account?

Spoiler

Link: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/

Spoiler

Link: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/ug/policy/

I've also noticed the importance of the PS from people I know who've been rejected with 5 As in their Highers etc - and also the amount of time they take to process applications; compared to Glasgow for example, who literally must have glanced at my application seen my grades and fired off an unconditional to me in December before UCAS even closed :lol: - St Andrews didn't get back to me until midway trough February, implying a more rigorous selection
Original post by JM_1998
(..)

Thanks so much!

I'm thinking of applying as well but not sure my grades will be good enough. What a-level grade did you get overall? (including the A2 I mean)
Reply 8
Hey, anyone that would like any advice / information about St. Andrews is welcome to message me. I'm currently there doing International Relations. Feel free to message me :smile:
Original post by Art3misOasis
I'm thinking of applying as well but not sure my grades will be good enough. What a-level grade did you get overall? (including the A2 I mean)

Sorry for the late reply... I think you may have quoted the wrong person, but if not I have yet to complete my A-levels. I have only recently started year 13, but I am predicted A*A*A.
Original post by JM_1998

Sorry for the late reply... I think you may have quoted the wrong person, but if not I have yet to complete my A-levels. I have only recently started year 13, but I am predicted A*A*A.

Oh Yeah sorry, I was suppose to quote JM_1998. Anyway are you thinking about St Andrews as well?
Oh Yeah sorry, I was suppose to quote JM_1998. Anyway are you thinking about St Andrews as well?

Yeah mate for Physics, how about you?
Yeah mate for Physics, how about you?

Yes me too but for geo
Yes me too but for geo

Cool, good luck!
I have bad GCSE's by comparsion ....

But my AS level results are better
A Geography
A Business Studies
A Religious Studies
B History

I was thinking about applying for geography, any advice guys ?
Original post by JM_1998

:smile: Hi, congrats by the way! I am likely applying for history at St Andrews this year ( 2017 entry ) and have been researching a lot like you said you did.:redface: Do you think it's easier to get into the combined honours courses than single honours? I was thinking of applying to history and classics because I like both the courses but I don't know if I'd stand more or less of a chance if I did that. :frown: Would really appreciate a reply. :smile:
And OP you might as well try, just for A2 see if your teachers will give optimistic predictions and WORK HARD TOO.
I am applying this year also and idk if my grades are good enough either, history is really competitive there too. :frown: Mod lang seems to have a high ish acceptance rate ( according to university which ) so see what careers advisors say. :smile:
Original post by Shadow Hunters
:smile: I don't know if I'd stand more or less of a chance if I did that.

I went and view St Andrews in September and the leader of the chemistry admissions told me that you have a better chance applying for a 'pure' course as you only have to be accepted by one department rather than two. You then just pick the modules from the other subject when you start :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abby3112
I went and view St Andrews in September and the leader of the chemistry admissions told me that you have a better chance applying for a 'pure' course as you only have to be accepted by one department rather than two. You then just pick the modules from the other subject when you start :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the help! That makes sense, I am going to an open day in October anyway so I'll comfirm that just to be sure! I am probably better suited to apply for single honours because I'm applying to single honours everywhere else anyway, Though school of history is competitive. And good luck with chemistry! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending