The Student Room Group

Anyone get bad results at AS but mint results at A2??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by o.s.s15
I got BBCE in maths chem physics and french, i feel terrible i started revising from september amd had even started c1 during my holiday😥😥😥 my enginerring dreams are over

Engineering is not a very saturated field, unlike law or finance. Therefore, even with a degree from an ex-poly you can stand a chance of getting a job in engineering if you get a decent classification.
In my first attempt at year 12 which was 2013/14 I got
CCU as my AS grades
Retook the year and now have my final a level results and ended up with
A* A B B aswell as an A in my extended project and I am going to a Russell group university in a few weeks.
The main reasons I failed so badly at first was picking subjects that weren't right for me. The second time round I picked subjects I actually enjoyed and did far better.
Original post by geography1294
Is it able for me to go from a high c to a grade A. I will be resitiing 4 exams(c1,c2,s1 and one geog module

It's absolutely possible if you put in the effort. In maths I went from a high C to a high A by resitting c1 and c2. In chemistry I went from a mid B to a high A.
yes i got AAA from CCEE in AS. resat a lot of modules though but worth it, the year goes extremely fast before you know its over. Good luck!
Original post by Callum323
It was such a shock to me that I cried on results day and thought no university would accept me. It was a kick up the arse that meant I just HAD to work hard. I pulled myself together and just forced myself to work hard because I had to to get into a good university and study what I wanted to study. I also wrote a damn good personal statement according to my teachers :tongue:

For advice, I'll refer to what I said earlier:
I went through every textbook front to back, missing no information and doing almost every question for every section. When I was confident in a certain unit, I'd start doing past papers, marking my answers getting better at the kind of questions they ask in exams. Before the real exams I spend a month doing nothing but revision every day using a revision timetable scheduled around my exam timetable.

Honestly feel proud for you. Such an uplifting and hopeful story and I aspire to have a work ethic like yours. Cheers to the future :smile:
i just got ABBB at AS but the course i want to do at uni requires A*AA. i think i could get the grades next year if i resit a couple of modules but if i got my teachers to predict me the required grades do you think the uni's would just reject me straight away because of my lower AS grades and think the predictions are just unrealistic?
Reply 106
Me!

Back in the days of modular resits though. I resit almost all my AS modules in my ALevel year and got AAB up from BCE (no A*s in those days)
BBCC at AS
AAB at A2.

The trick is 'independent study'. Stop relying on your teachers, tests or term dates. Do everything in advance and READ your textbooks, watch online videos and make notes. Start doing past papers from January and cut out on social life. Don't be disheartened , but start working hard from now on.. Or Double than before. Hope it helps xxx
Reply 108
I would say I did. I got A C D E in AS, but in A2 I grinded it out and took my studies a lot more seriously. Ended up with A* A A on results the day. Best advice is that you should grind and recognise what you're working for that's all there is to it. Put in the work (;
Original post by Callum323
It's absolutely possible if you put in the effort. In maths I went from a high C to a high A by resitting c1 and c2. In chemistry I went from a mid B to a high A.

Did you resit s1? or in that case any of your other applied modules
Original post by geography1294
Did you resit s1? or in that case any of your other applied modules

No I didn't. I got 78 UMS in s1 compared to 60 UMS in c1 and 69 UMS in c2. Stats is so different to the core modules I decided not to resit it because of the amount I'd have to remember isn't worth the few extra marks I'd get.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ZainF123
Hi. Why will it be easier to do better at a2 with reformed a levels???

With the new reformed A-Levels started from September 2015, certain AS subjects (such as Chemistry, Physics, History, etc.) would be standalone qualifications = your AS grades do NOT contribute to overall A-Level grade, they are simply there to make predicted grades for you if you aren't able to continue year 13.

However you must pass 3 subjects [E-A] for you to qualify into A2.
Original post by LillyB14
AS is a bit of an adjustment for everybody. I did pretty well in AS and got ABC however in A2 I changed my attitude and approach to college and got A*AA yesterday (photography, history and psychology)
- retook a unit in both psych and hist, retakes are a lot easier once you learn A2

Posted from TSR Mobile

which unis did you apply to ?
Original post by BIGJohnson777
It would take A LOT of independent hard work, but it's doable. From my experience, unless you are applying to Oxbridge or some of the London unis, they will give you an offer as long as the predictions match their standard offer. Most unis are very lenient in this respect, because some students won't get the grades; some will put them as insurance and go to their firm; and others may reject their offer outright. I've got AABB at AS and dropped an A, but after resitting 5 modules I've turned those ABB into A*A*A*. Good luck.

thanks for the reply and congrats on your results, do you mind telling me what your predicted grades were and what course your doing?
Original post by DarkEnergy
Thanks so much. Yeah already got the bulk of my PS out of the way, just need teachers to check it. How come I shouldn't hand it to multiple teachers at a time?

Give it to 1-2 teachers but don't give it to anymore. The problem is that teachers can make conflicting changes and it becomes a problem to implement them in your personal statement. It might be better to pick and choose the best suggestions that reflect you as an individual better.
Original post by TheLifelessRobot
(..)

Thanks again!
Original post by Zeroksult
I'm kinda in the same predicament as i got CCDD in my AS, however 3 of my subjects are being reformed so none of them are going to be contributing to A2, so the one that is going to be carried on is Maths. What i plan to do is Resit the module i screwed up as i got

A - Pure Core 1
D - Pure core 2
B - Decisions

The head spoke to me saying that "My best option is to take the grades as they are and ask for photocopies of my papers so i can see where and how i messed up and possibly resit the 1 module for maths"
Any thoughts on what i plan to do since i'm still able to go into Yr13?

Go into yr13 and retake the maths modules you didnt do well in, studying them alongside the A2 content forces you to understand it, making it seem like GCSE work. You'll do fine next year :biggrin:
Original post by Asdfgh123qwerty
yes i got AAA from CCEE in AS. resat a lot of modules though but worth it, the year goes extremely fast before you know its over. Good luck!

Did you do it all in two years, and what about your predicted grades?
My AS results are DDEE (Chemistry, Computing, Maths and Art). Im going to drop art next year and retake the maths modules whilst doing my A2 maths exams to hopefully achieve at least AAB. I want to study medicine and have been told by many teachers that its possible however im scared that my predicted grades wont be enough to get me on a foundation course let alone the standard medicine course. What should i do because only maths E counts towards my grade right now? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest