The Student Room Group

Why does bullying still happen?

At school and other places

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Because of video-games and rap music, obviously. The Daily Mail told me so.
because people need other people to release their insecurities onto
Because it's not dealt with seriously. I was bullied in secondary for a good 3 years, by a group of boys. I hardly reported it to the teachers for the fear of being called a 'snitch' but when I did, the blame was often pointed towards my direction for 'retaliating' (The boys would call me names, be racist etc but then I would respond my saying something back). All they ever got was a light warning. Most of these incidents happened inside the classroom so i doubt that it's hard for the teachers to notice when a massive group of people are consistently picking on one individual. I felt let down tbh. I felt as if it was me that was the problem and not them. Still have many psychological scars because of this.

I honestly think the only way around this is for schools to ACTUALLY practise what they preach with an anti-bullying policy. This means that if there is sufficient evidence that an individual is bullying another, after having a prior warning, then they get expelled from the school instantly- no questions.
Original post by Anonymous
Because it's not dealt with seriously. I was bullied in secondary for a good 3 years, by a group of boys. I hardly reported it to the teachers for the fear of being called a 'snitch' but when I did, the blame was often pointed towards my direction for 'retaliating' (The boys would call me names, be racist etc but then I would respond my saying something back). All they ever got was a light warning. Most of these incidents happened inside the classroom so i doubt that it's hard for the teachers to notice when a massive group of people are consistently picking on one individual. I felt let down tbh. I felt as if it was me that was the problem and not them. Still have many psychological scars because of this.

I honestly think the only way around this is for schools to ACTUALLY practise what they preach with an anti-bullying policy. This means that if there is sufficient evidence that an individual is bullying another, after having a prior warning, then they get expelled from the school instantly- no questions.

Me too I have mental and physical scars from it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Because it's part of human nature.
There are so many anti bullying campaigns out there and I feel like it doesn't do anything. Yeah it makes us aware of bullying but they don't do anything to solve and stop the problem. The only advice they tell you is to report it to an adult such a teacher or family member.

I got picked on a lot during secondary school and a lot of teachers don't pick up these things, even when they do all they will say is "stop, behave yourselves" and no punishment is given.
Secondary school was hell for me, I wish people would understand how serious this issue is. I never bothered telling the teachers that I got picked on because I knew they wouldn't do anything useful, the bullies would just carry on picking on you because they don't care.
Because no one does anything about it! We go to the teachers about our problems and get called liars! So that's part of the reason tbh!

And because people are scared to speak up because if the bullies find out, then they'll probably end up beating up their victim.

And bullies are always really miserable people who have massive problems in their lives. But they aren't strong enough to fix them so they target others to make them feel happier as everyone else is made unhappy by them. People who are being bullied are some of the strongest people out there!

I've experienced it and it's really not fun at all! Was awful!
Reply 8
Original post by FireFreezer77
Because no one does anything about it! We go to the teachers about our problems and get called liars! So that's part of the reason tbh!

And because people are scared to speak up because if the bullies find out, then they'll probably end up beating up their victim.

And bullies are always really miserable people who have massive problems in their lives. But they aren't strong enough to fix them so they target others to make them feel happier as everyone else is made unhappy by them. People who are being bullied are some of the strongest people out there!

I've experienced it and it's really not fun at all! Was awful!

I mean, you can expand your own experience as much as you want but this entire post is just not true.

Any time you find yourself saying 'always', consider what you are saying.
Original post by Arkasia
I mean, you can expand your own experience as much as you want but this entire post is just not true.

Any time you find yourself saying 'always', consider what you are saying.

Now explain why it's not true
Because humans still exist.
Yes, like Arkasia says, the whole bullies are all miserable, come from broken homes, have their own rampant insecurities etc. is just not really true,

A lot of people are ***** because they can be, they want to be, and they know there's often no consequence.

The sort of power trip that comes with essentially making someone your ***** probably fuels it too.

Most of the times these people don't have major issues or whatever, they're bullies because they can be, they want to be and they will be and there's nothing you can do to stop it
Original post by davidguettafan

Posted from TSR Mobile

We know mate, you never stop telling us about it. Not saying that trying to be a prick, but I really don't think you're doing yourself any favours by dwelling on the past so much. Have your tried therapy?
Original post by WoodyMKC
We know mate, you never stop telling us about it. Not saying that trying to be a prick, but I really don't think you're doing yourself any favours by dwelling on the past so much. Have your tried therapy?

I appreciate your advice woody, I have tried therapy but it just made me dwell on it more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
There are so many anti bullying campaigns out there and I feel like it doesn't do anything. Yeah it makes us aware of bullying but they don't do anything to solve and stop the problem. The only advice they tell you is to report it to an adult such a teacher or family member.

I got picked on a lot during secondary school and a lot of teachers don't pick up these things, even when they do all they will say is "stop, behave yourselves" and no punishment is given.
Secondary school was hell for me, I wish people would understand how serious this issue is. I never bothered telling the teachers that I got picked on because I knew they wouldn't do anything useful, the bullies would just carry on picking on you because they don't care.

Totally agree with this!
There's the whole 'anti bullying' week and what not, but no one gives a crap it doesn't achieve anything. What's the point of awareness if nothing is implemented or if there's no action.

I remember my primary school teacher asked me to stay behind after everyone left. He then had the audacity to tell me off and told me to just deal with the bullying rather than complain. Always felt like he picked on me anyway lol. If I saw him now I'd love to tell him how much of a dick he is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FireFreezer77
Now explain why it's not true

Bullies are not always miserable, nor do they always have problems. Teachers don't call students liars for reporting bullying. People who are bullied aren't 'some of the strongest people out there'. They are, on average, normal at best.
Bullies have no place at school, they should be expelled. Sadly, it always feels like they win.

Teachers don't give a **** about bullying. I've been bullied in secondary school and it's funny to see how they turned out on Facebook lol.
Because children aren't taught how to release anger and various emotions in a safe, effective way. All my bullies have grown to be dropouts, drug abusers and actually I discovered their backgrounds were horrid. I feel no sympathy whatsoever, but it's interesting. Kids have got to learn you take your anger out in sport or art or music or ANYTHING but a human being
Original post by Arkasia
Bullies are not always miserable, nor do they always have problems. Teachers don't call students liars for reporting bullying. People who are bullied aren't 'some of the strongest people out there'. They are, on average, normal at best.

Agree tbh
although im sure many bullies have problems hence why they take them out on others not all do some are just malicious ppl.
And as for ur second statement i also agree as someone who was verbally and physically bullied lower in school, it would be like saying that everyone who has a disability is 'the best person ever' when in reality they are just normal people and can be nice, nasty, funny, kind etc etc
Original post by davidguettafan

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is one of the reasons that i would NEVER consider teaching below the 'Uni' level. I have taught a number of courses [in communications engineering]. In each case, the students knew that their continued employment depended upon a> earning a decent grade in class, and b> behaving professionally throughout the course. I would never consider working at the 'high-school' or (worse yet) elementary school level!! I don't wipe bottoms, blow noses, or (usually) assign or collect homework. My students are expected to be adults, behave like adults, and do whatever they have to do to get the information into their own heads. Fortunately, holding a master's degree in engineering - i don't have to teach below this level. I have never had any sort of disciplinary problems in my classes, but [since i was subjected to bullying throughout my school career], i'm sure i would notice it if it were going on. Had i noticed it, i would have taken action immediately - and my boss would have supported me. I told her that my first group of students [who were fired air traffic controllers - remember them?] had asked me to provide the answers to my midterm and final exams, before the exams - so they could 'study'. Of course, i refused to do so & told her about it. She said: "oh, you must have mis-understood them". I said: "I don't think so..", but let it pass. Several days later, they pulled the same request - right in front of her. She 'flipped out' - and started yelling at them about 'academic dis-honesty. That got back to their employer, and several of them were 'rapped over the knuckles' for it. I took pride in never giving the same exam question twice - i presumed that they all had access to previous exams [there were 14 repeats of the same course] - so i crafted a new exam each time. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending