The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary Uni London Freshers Megathread 2016

Results day is just around the corner but this is the place to be on the day and onwards!

A congratulations to those that are going to the university and you can use this thread to say hello to fellow students and discuss how excited you are to begin your fantastic journey!

This thread is yours, take it away

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm going to be first to post on this and ask, what usually goes on at QM for freshers?:colone:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by DanHELP
I'm going to be first to post on this and ask, what usually goes on at QM for freshers?:colone:

Hello!
Find our SU video and information here: https://www.qmsu.org/freshers/
Freshers is normally a very fun week with a variety of events and ways to sign up to new societies. You can dip in and out or if you want to go to everything you can also buy a wristband that gets you entry to everything!
You should receive an email over the summer to let you know more about the events! Hope this helps -Sarah
Oh my God I'm so excited.
Reply 4
Hey everyone! Glad to be on board.

What course are you all going to study?
Original post by Wanonawa

Biomedical Sciences, what about you? 😊
So excited to start in September! I'm on the foundation course for physics, how about everyone else?
🎉🎉
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hello!
Find our SU video and information here: https://www.qmsu.org/freshers/
Freshers is normally a very fun week with a variety of events and ways to sign up to new societies. You can dip in and out or if you want to go to everything you can also buy a wristband that gets you entry to everything!
You should receive an email over the summer to let you know more about the events! Hope this helps -Sarah

When will I receive more information about my course from the university?
So far I can see on UCAS track I've been accepted and on my email I've received a reciept of the offer but nothing else.

Is there anything I'm expected to do from now until Course start date as in fill out any forms or? When will I have to get my photo ID taken/when will enrollment be?

BSc Theoretical Physics, might changed it to regular Physics by 2nd year.

Original post by moonpie97
So excited to start in September! I'm on the foundation course for physics, how about everyone else?

Hey. :smile: Nice to hear! Fellow Physics student. :tongue:
Wicked hyped to start in afew weeks!
Then again, i say that but i bet like, first day in it'll really hit that it's uni from here on ya know? XD

Actually wondering though, like what kinda stationary to grab
Can only really think of A4 pads, plastic folders and pens
Am i like, missin anything? XD still got a buncha junk from A2, but i didnt really get around to using it

Doin BEng mechanical engeering and pretty excited for it!

nice avatar btw! tokyo ghoul right?

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
So far I can see on UCAS track I've been accepted and on my email I've received a reciept of the offer but nothing else.

Is there anything I'm expected to do from now until Course start date as in fill out any forms or? When will I have to get my photo ID taken/when will enrollment be?

Actually wonderin that too, i got like 2 receipts today and they were the exact same XD
Original post by SleepyHawk
Wicked hyped to start in afew weeks!
Then again, i say that but i bet like, first day in it'll really hit that it's uni from here on ya know? XD

Actually wondering though, like what kinda stationary to grab
Can only really think of A4 pads, plastic folders and pens
Am i like, missin anything? XD still got a buncha junk from A2, but i didnt really get around to using it

Doin BEng mechanical engeering and pretty excited for it!

nice avatar btw! tokyo ghoul right?

Actually wonderin that too, i got like 2 receipts today and they were the exact same XD

I've got nothing besides prepping here & there. I need to open up a student bank account tomorrow but just self-teaching myself a bit of further maths before the course starts. what subjects did you study? You moving into halls or?

Yeah, its that same feeling starting 6th form 1st day.
Ah, I looked into the particular modules for my entire first year and have a folder at home dedicated to each module with plastic pockets, sticky notes etc. <-- A bit OCD :laugh: Yeah, A4 pads & pens seem enough tbh.

I had a bit scrap left from A2 but threw it in the bin. Prefer starting fresh n buying more stationery. :tongue: Do you have a placement year after your BEng Mech Eng or?

Yeah, same @2 receipts.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've got nothing besides prepping here & there. I need to open up a student bank account tomorrow but just self-teaching myself a bit of further maths before the course starts. what subjects did you study? You moving into halls or?

Yeah, its that same feeling starting 6th form 1st day.
Ah, I looked into the particular modules for my entire first year and have a folder at home dedicated to each module with plastic pockets, sticky notes etc. <-- A bit OCD :laugh: Yeah, A4 pads & pens seem enough tbh.

I had a bit scrap left from A2 but threw it in the bin. Prefer starting fresh n buying more stationery. :tongue: Do you have a placement year after your BEng Mech Eng or?

Yeah, same @2 receipts.

Oh I did maths, further maths and physics
If ya like i can show ya the books i used for futher maths, they were really useful!
ah and I live like 20 mins away from the uni so i just op'd to stay at home, probs better that way since I cant like cook for the life of me XD
how about you?

Maaaaaan it really didnt hit me in 6th form tbh XD like i treated the school the same way, it was just the workload that got me abit shook up
Loooooool i'm abit the opposite, i'll have all the stuff ready but only like use it when i need to XD I'll probs go shopping for that stuff later this week then!

Oh yeah, getting new stuff is probably better, keep A2 in A2 and uni in uni, makes easier for revision
Yeah! I got a sandwhich so placement inbetween 2nd and 3rd year, which im totally psyched for tbh, getting to apply stuff actually sounds awesome for a change XD

oh everyone probably got that then, I'd bet they're just abit built up atm
Original post by AntgoneRJ
Oh my God I'm so excited.

Me too!! What are you going to study?

English language and linguistics, anyone else going to study this course?
Original post by Oculuscuscus
Me too!! What are you going to study?

Chemistry! You?
Reply 15
Avoid angering the bouncers at Drapers, wee freshmen, they will make or brake you at your local watering hole.
Original post by SleepyHawk
x

Ah, I did Maths, Physics, History. Its cool, I'm revising most content from examsolutions & only have now to freshers week to learn in my spare time. I'm so jealous that you live so close. It takes me 50-55 mins on train. :sigh:
I can cook but not that great. :frown:

Sounds awesome! Do they give you a option of what companies or where you'll do your placement year at? Do they help you find it or do you have to do it on your own? So your BEng = 4 years (3yrs BEng + 1 yr placement)
:top:

You got any ideas on what societies you'll join during freshers week or?
(edited 7 years ago)

BSc Theoretical Physics, might changed it to regular Physics by 2nd year.

Hey. :smile: Nice to hear! Fellow Physics student. :tongue:

Awesome!!
Ah, I did Maths, Physics, History. Its cool, I'm revising most content from examsolutions & only have now to freshers week to learn in my spare time. I'm so jealous that you live so close. It takes me 50-55 mins on train. :sigh:
I can cook but not that great. :frown:

Sounds awesome! Do they give you a option of what companies or where you'll do your placement year at? Do they help you find it or do you have to do it on your own? So your BEng = 4 years (3yrs BEng + 1 yr placement)
:top:

You got any ideas on what societies you'll join during freshers week or?

Gotchaaaa!
Ahaha daaaamn that's harsh D: does that mean you're gunna move into the halls? idk if i could take the train if it was like, an early morning lecture tbh XD
i suppose we got a few years still to up our cooking skills XD

Yeah, as far as I know you get a few options the uni finds for you, like a whole list which you apply to and then i think the companies pick out applicants? I'm not 100% sure but i think that's how it works
yepp! it's a 3+1 for me, although i'm hoping to do well enough to go for masters so maybe even a 4+1 XD

I've got a few in mind that I'd like to check out, like the games and anime society, abit of a nerd like that XD but then there's a few sports ones that sound like alot of fun, so i'll probs sign up for those during the fresher's fair
have you got anythin in mind?
Original post by AntgoneRJ
Chemistry! You?

BIomedical Sciences!Science buddies hehe :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending