The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Wired_1800
Didn't the University notice when you attended the interview?
I suggest that you go to visit a doctor as soon as possible. They may put you on a nutritional diet to help you improve yourself. If not, then you may be risking your place at Cambridge.

No University will want to risk it. By allowing you to continue, they may be risking their reputation, should anything negative happen to you.

Good luck though.

No, they said nothing. At a bmi below 16, they legally can't let me attend. To get to a bmi of 16, I would need to gain 10kg which I cannot do in 7 weeks.
Original post by SalGal
No, they said nothing. At a bmi below 16, they legally can't let me attend. To get to a bmi of 16, I would need to gain 10kg which I cannot do in 7 weeks.

That is why you need to visit a doctor as soon as possible. Once you have a nutritional programme, then you can use it as evidence that you are improving.

You may not have gained 10kg, but you would have improved before October.

My suggestion is this:

1. Visit a doctor to start a nutritional programme. This officially confirms that you are improving.

2. When you do your College Health Check, if it is brought up, then you have evidence to show that you have already been to a doctor and you are undergoing the nutritional programme

3. If the College asks for evidence, you contact your doctor and he provides a doctor's note or letter.

The College may place you on their own internal health programme, if necessary. The key is to show that you are doing something about it.

If I may ask, what College will be you going to?
Original post by SalGal
I haven't been to the doctors at all but I plan to do so. Now, all I want is to be well.

Realistically, I don't think it would be possible for me to gain 16kg between now and October. That's 50% of my current body weight.

Definitely speak to a doctor, it's their job so they're going to know what the best and easiest plan is. As long as you're getting better i'm sure there won't be a problem :smile:
Reply 43
I, by some miracle, was accepted into my college of choice after not reaching any of the grades on my stated offer. My mum says she hasn't seen me so bouncy since I was little 😄.

I didn't find out until 4o'clock the day after results, the wait was stressful. The other four (I believe a school record) people that are going to Oxbridge from my school knew as soon as they opened their results. There was one more, don't know how well she did.

Also, sucks about the anorexia, maybe a gap year would make sense?
Reply 44
Original post by Axiomara
Random question, but can I find a bycicle with backpedal/coaster brakes in Cambridge? :s

If you ask around the bike shops, they'll be happy to charge extortionate prices if they can find one 😄. You're probably better off finding one and taking it there.
Original post by fodw
If you ask around the bike shops, they'll be happy to charge extortionate prices if they can find one 😄. You're probably better off finding one and taking it there.

taking it there's too hard, i'll just buy a normal one.
and congrats.
Hello! I'm a bit of an old hand here in Cambridge. If you have any questions, fire them my way!*

(Can you tell I'm in rural Ireland and have nothing else to do? :tongue: ) *
Original post by Mathemagicien
What societies can you tell us about?
Will I survive without caffeine (I will be a maths student)?
What can you tell me about Magdalene college?
What items do freshers often forget to bring?
What do I need to know about supervisions?

Thank you very much :smile:

- Societies: There are. So. Many. Chances are, your college JCR committee members will take you all along to the Freshers Fair at Kelsey Kerridge, where reps from the societies will ply you with chocolate and pizza to join their society. If you visit this website, you should be able to find the current societies.*https://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/societies/directory/

- You can definitely survive without coffee. I'm unashamedly so addicted to coffee that I end up having to go to the hygienist more often than I ought to because my teeth get stained! Don't feel pressured into staying up all night working because it seems as though everyone else is, or because you ought to!*

- I don't know much about Magdalene. I think they do formals every night though. I went once and wasn't particularly impressed, I'm afraid!

- *Oh, good question. Definitely bring stationery and stuff with you - at the start of term, it's a nightmare in Staples and Ryman's with thousands of students migrating on them! Also, practical stuff, such as your passport, other forms of ID, student loan documents (in case you need to ring them at uni and all your correspondance has been sent to your home address), and your bank details (card, chequebook, account number, etc etc). Paracetamol, plasters and other simple first aid things - you'll be everyone's friend :wink: Also, bring along something reasonably smart. You'll likely need it for matriculation and formal halls, if you choose to go to any!

- Supervisions vary sooooo much from subject to subject. But the basic concept is probably pretty similar to your interview set-up. You'll probably have one or two other supervision partners, and for each supervision, you'll complete work (essay, problem questions etc.) and you'll discuss it, along with, potentially, covering new material.

:smile: *

Extension cord for multiple sockets (like 4), preferably with surge protection.

Compact drying rack for laundry. You can use tumble dryer to dry washing, of course, but ithe cost will build up over weeks.
Lots of hangers for your clothes. A wardrobe in your room would probably have a few hangers inside but probably you need more and they're very useful for drying clothes, etc. too.

A box of cereal to keep in your room, in case you overslept (you're bound to one day) and have no time to go to the college buttery to have breakfast before you dash off to a morning lecture. It will give you the minimum sustainance until lunchtime.
(If you don't regularly keep your own milk in a gyp fridge, 'borrow' someone's temporary and apologise later with replacement milk. :tongue:)

Suppose you'll be using your mobile as an alarm, extra alarm o'clock (or two) is always a good idea to strategically place well away from your bed to force you to wake up AND get up, so that you won't have to resort to your emergency cereal & steal somebody else's milk too often.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi everyone! This is the first time I've ever written anything on Student Room. Got into Cambridge for maths after being pooled twice haha I think I am the definition of scraping in. Anyway can't believe I actually got in! Congratulations everyone and I hope to meet you there! Also, is anyone else scared they won't be able to keep up? Just me? ok then :smile:
Original post by nestkitt
Hi everyone! This is the first time I've ever written anything on Student Room. Got into Cambridge for maths after being pooled twice haha I think I am the definition of scraping in. Anyway can't believe I actually got in! Congratulations everyone and I hope to meet you there! Also, is anyone else scared they won't be able to keep up? Just me? ok then :smile:

Don't worry, I'm pretty scared that I'll be sitting in my room 24-7 crying over words I don't understand. It's a common feeling and remember that pretty much everyone is on the same boat.

Congrats for making it!
Will I be able to fit everything I need into a fairly large suitcase and holdall or am I being a bit too optimistic?
Original post by nestkitt

Hi. I also got in for maths. What college are you at? And no, it's not just you worrying about falling behind. :-)
Hi all, I (somehow) managed to meet my offer, so Cambridge here I come! Any other Homertonians or Education students out there? I'm doing education with english :smile: .
Original post by Serine Soul
Will I be able to fit everything I need into a fairly large suitcase and holdall or am I being a bit too optimistic?

Clothes yes, other stuff will be a challenge unless you want to be buying lots of stuff when you get there.
Original post by camaieu
Hello! I'm a bit of an old hand here in Cambridge. If you have any questions, fire them my way!*

(Can you tell I'm in rural Ireland and have nothing else to do? :tongue: ) *

Two words - FAI Cup.

Unless you are up north :lol:

If you could, it would be so helpful - you'll likely have to move out over the vacations, and unless you're an international student, you'll not be able to store anything. You're gone for a term, not for the rest of your life - there's no point bringing lots of summer clothes for October - December!
Original post by SeanFM
Two words - FAI Cup.

Unless you are up north :lol:

Alas, I am :frown:

I had that question earlier...I have no idea how Im going to transport my stuff to the college with the cobbled roads cus I was estimating 2 large bags+backpack :tongue:

Yes you can survive without caffeine, I personally had energy drinks/coffee to get some work done if I had a deadline the next day.

Kitchen towels are an essential that are forgotten

Supervisions: Depends on what supervisor you get, young supervisors tend to be very enthusiastic (PhD students) and tend to be the most useful in terms of learning new ideas and concepts not necessarily covered in lectures. Older supervisors, I find, tend to be more consistent and understand tripos a hell of a lot better. Just remember to hand in work on time or it just wont get marked, also try to pick a partner you will work well with.

I don't know much about Magdelene other than its name gets mispronounced a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending