The Student Room Group

Chess games

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john2054
I'm up for a game now if you'd like one?

Wayyy too late in the day (more like early in the morning actually lol) for me sorry, but will be on tomorrow. That said I'm still doing tactics puzzles instead of sleeping lol.
i love chess. anyone wana play w me
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Wayyy too late in the day (more like early in the morning actually lol) for me sorry, but will be on tomorrow. That said I'm still doing tactics puzzles instead of sleeping lol.

what is your lichess rating? when we play can it be 15 minutes each way?
this three-check stuff is actually pretty interesting
what is your lichess rating? when we play can it be 15 minutes each way?

Don't usually play rated so I only have s provisional rating right now but beat a 2100 in a simul recently which is nice. Believe it or not 15 mins is not long enough for me lol, I usually prefer 30 or longer.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Don't usually play rated so I only have s provisional rating right now but beat a 2100 in a simul recently which is nice. Believe it or not 15 mins is not long enough for me lol, I usually prefer 30 or longer.

I'm not playing you a rated game if you still have a provisional score. Mine is about 1700 right now, but i'd like to point out that ratings aren't necessarily indicative of accurate playing strength or ability. We can play 30 each way if you like, tomorrow right??
I'm not playing you a rated game if you still have a provisional score. Mine is about 1700 right now, but i'd like to point out that ratings aren't necessarily indicative of accurate playing strength or ability. We can play 30 each way if you like, tomorrow right??

Yeah I'd prefer unrated, 30 tomorrow sounds good yeah :smile:
Checkmated a 2115 in super blitz lel
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Checkmated a 2115 in super blitz lel

well done, but you do realise that those quick games aren't proper chess?

What is "proper chess", and why does it have to be played over any particular time span? Chess is chess.

Of course.
I enjoy and am I think better at proper chess. I mean I've watched loads of videos, played loads of games, been mad into chess for large chunks of time since I started maybe three years ago, and I refuse to believe I am as bad as the terrible ratings I hold online lol. When I play long games I tend to be more inventive, more tactically aware, more able to create a "plan", more everything; though I have often still lost in those contexts it is largely down to good opposition who have been playing for longer. I just lack the attention span for long games online for some reason. OTB I'm alright.
Original post by Forum User
What is "proper chess", and why does it have to be played over any particular time span? Chess is chess.

Written by a true grandmaster...
Of course.
I enjoy and am I think better at proper chess. I mean I've watched loads of videos, played loads of games, been mad into chess for large chunks of time since I started maybe three years ago, and I refuse to believe I am as bad as the terrible ratings I hold online lol. When I play long games I tend to be more inventive, more tactically aware, more able to create a "plan", more everything; though I have often still lost in those contexts it is largely down to good opposition who have been playing for longer. I just lack the attention span for long games online for some reason. OTB I'm alright.

Yes 13, you were a formidable foe when i played you. I agree you need at least a few minutes on the clock to get the old wheels moving. Otherwise you might as well just be playing speed dominoes!
Of course.

What is your rating on lichess now btw??
Written by a true grandmaster...

I don't understand what that is supposed to mean. I assume it is some kind of insult along the lines of "if you prefer bullet chess, you must be an extremely weak player". I don't think that is correct, I know many 2400+ players who prefer playing bullet.
What is your rating on lichess now btw??

1700 on blitz with 99 games played
1743? on classical with 4 games played (so meaningless lol)

To be fair this might be close to where I should be, I dunno. My chess.com ratings are the ones that are more long term and the ones I was referring to as terrible.

and 1733 on three-check, the most important...
I don't understand what that is supposed to mean. I assume it is some kind of insult along the lines of "if you prefer bullet chess, you must be an extremely weak player". I don't think that is correct, I know many 2400+ players who prefer playing bullet.

What that means is that generally speaking, chess is known as a gentleman's game. Which is served over a pint of port, pipe in one hand and king in the other. If you think that you can come on here and claim to be a good chess player, without being able to face a fifteen minute each way match up, you have a lot to learn.

I have been playing chess on and off, all my life btw, and not just for the last three years. Also I have read a number of books on it, and i don't just mean read the book, but actually play through the moves over a board. This takes weeks with chess books, and shows the kind of commitment that is required for a mastery of the game.

I am not disputing that there are a lot of weak highly rated players online at the moment. Just that this has always been an issue for me. I hope you can sympathise?
What that means is that generally speaking, chess is known as a gentleman's game. Which is served over a pint of port, pipe in one hand and king in the other. If you think that you can come on here and claim to be a good chess player, without being able to face a fifteen minute each way match up, you have a lot to learn.

I didn't claim to be a good chess player (probably only around 2000 rated), I just don't agree that bullet is any less "chess" than classical.

Strangely I used to prefer classical chess when I was a junior, now that I am in my late 30s I prefer bullet.
(edited 7 years ago)
1700 on blitz with 99 games played
1743? on classical with 4 games played (so meaningless lol)

To be fair this might be close to where I should be, I dunno. My chess.com ratings are the ones that are more long term and the ones I was referring to as terrible.

and 1733 on three-check, the most important...

My rating is 1746 with 373 games played. But you are a good player because you have watched videos, not bad at least. Please remember that playing over the board chess is quite different from playing speed online chess.

And indeed any one can have an opinion. That doesn't make it right.
I didn't claim to be a good chess player (probably only around 2000 rated), I just don't agree that bullet is any less "chess" than classical.

Strangely I used to prefer classical chess when I was a junior, now that I am in my late 30s I prefer bullet.

That shows how much you know. a 2000 rated player, on lichess by all means, is not just a strong but a very strong player.

But like i said already, it's only a game. Don't get too hung up on the rating.
That shows how much you know. a 2000 rated player, on lichess by all means, is not just a strong but a very strong player.

I suppose it is just a question of perspective. If one is rated 1700 then a 2000 player seems very strong. 2300 players seem very strong to me, but to 2600 players they must appear to be blundering buffoons.

Quick Reply

Latest