The Student Room Group

Are you going to raise bilingual children?

Are you going to raise bilingual children?

If so, how?

Edit: I would really love to but i am not fluent in my first language.:redface:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bilingual children have the benefit of knowing two languages which is useful for jobs which involve speaking to foreign clients.
As someone who picked up a language just from having 2 parents speak it to eachother at home, the best way is to live with someone who speaks your second language and speak it as much as possible while at home. This way they learn it with no extra effort, while honing their English skills at school, so its half and half on the languages they hear.
I don't plan on having children but if I did I would like to raise them to be bilingual, however I'm not so good at speaking in my second language so I'd probably make them spend a lot of time with my parents lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup 👍🏼
No but that's only because I'm not forrin. However, if baby-daddy is forrin then I will be more than happy for bilinguals bbs.

:cyber:
No.
Oui :h:
Deffo raising them speaking German!
Даааа! Разбиa cе!

It's really important that they know their heritage and background and all that.

And also it's kinda convenient to talk in a language not many people in the street would understand... :h:
Yes, definitely! Coming from a country where everyone has always been raised bilingual (English + their respective Mother tongues) I can say that learning two (or more, if you desire to) languages has lots of benefits to one's cognitive abilities and is also a very useful skill in our increasingly globalised world! Being bilingual requires effort though, because different languages require different facial muscle movements and throat muscle control so this is best trained during childhood :smile:
Yah man. My dad is from Pakistan and speaks Urdu and English but my mum only speaks English so I missed out on learning the language and being bilingual. I'm semi familiar with understanding Urdu but can't speak it. Hopefully next year I'll start learning. If I'm fluent by the time I have kids I'll defo raise them bilingual. I feel like I missed out by not knowing a second language growing up, I don't want my kids to miss the opportunity. Also It's way easier to pick up languages as a child than adult.
Yes, probably arabic or mandarin, since they're alien systems to indo european languages.
Definitely will, it would help them stay in touch with their heritage. But also knowing another language is a useful skill.

any particular reason?
Don't want children but if I adopt then I'll make sure they learn French, Arabic, German and urban.
Original post by homeland.lsw
Даааа! Разбиa cе!

It's really important that they know their heritage and background and all that.

And also it's kinda convenient to talk in a language not many people in the street would understand... :h:

What is your first/native language?
That's a good question. I am bilingual, French and English. My parents speak French to me so before starting school I grew up speaking in french always, now I speak English permanently. However I can speak it fluently and understand perfectly. Like other people said having more than one language at hand is very useful especially if the parent speaks anything other than English, no harm in teaching the child. My cousin's mum is French Caribbean, dad Pakistani, so they both speak their own language to their children and the eldest can speak Arabic, Urdu, English and French! I think it would be worth teaching my kids French too as I have a lot of French speaking family. Another example is I have a 12 year old cousin who has a French speaking dad. She can only just understand a few words in French but can only speak English. It's tough for her to understand and talk to members of the family like our grandma back home who can only speak in French so communication is VERY limited sadly. Take this as a lesson guys!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ImagineCats
Deffo raising them speaking German!

Is German your native language?
Original post by adesola15
As someone who picked up a language just from having 2 parents speak it to eachother at home, the best way is to live with someone who speaks your second language and speak it as much as possible while at home. This way they learn it with no extra effort, while honing their English skills at school, so its half and half on the languages they hear.

Which language is it?
Original post by Make39kButNoHoes
Don't want children but if I adopt then I'll make sure they learn French, Arabic, German and urban.

Whats urban? Making 39k a year and having no hoes?

Quick Reply

Latest