The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick accommodation

Hey guys,
Which is better out of Westwood, Whitefields and Rootes? I’m going to be studying economics so I’d quite like it to be close to there and to centre of campus, I also prefer a large-ish room and clean-ish buildings. Also, I’ve heard rootes is the best party place, but I’m not a super extrovert or a big fan of parties…Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by LaurieHarris
Hey guys,
Which is better out of Westwood, Whitefields and Rootes? I’m going to be studying economics so I’d quite like it to be close to there and to centre of campus, I also prefer a large-ish room and clean-ish buildings. Also, I’ve heard rootes is the best party place, but I’m not a super extrovert or a big fan of parties…Thanks!

Well firstly, nice one! I will prob be in some of your classes (MORSE myself) but I don't have A CLUE what accommodation to go for and what is still left.

Heard all the good ones go back in June/July when offer holders apply. I wasn't a offer holder so am worried might end up being far away or something :frown:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hi guys,

I finished my first year studying General Engineering over at Warwick.

If you're not into all that partying like myself then I would suggest NOT applying for Rootes. They ALWAYS have parties and they are so unclean! But loads of people have fun there, don't get me wrong.

Westwood has a bad rep for being too far away, it is the the furthest accommodation to central campus but only by an extra ~5 minutes compared to the other accommodation. Westwood does have one of the largest rooms and although its not en suite there's a sink in the rooms so that's very convenient.

Whitefield also has a bad rep for looking absolutely crap! But then again, I've never heard too many people complain about it.

Basically, wherever you go you'll end up happy because you'll meet awesome people who are all in the same boat as you. :wink:

I lived in Cryfield so if you have any questions you can always ask. :-)
Reply 3
Just got an Economics offer through Adjustment as well but haven't had my place confirmed through UCAS yet.
I have no idea about accomodation either. I was thinking Whitefields, Westwood, Cryfield, Jack Martin and Claycroft. Do you know anything about them? I'm afraid there aren't any places left.
What is Cryfield like? Did you enjoy it there?
Original post by Rkai01
Well firstly, nice one! I will prob be in some of your classes (MORSE myself) but I don't have A CLUE what accommodation to go for and what is still left.

Heard all the good ones go back in June/July when offer holders apply. I wasn't a offer holder so am worried might end up being far away or something :frown:

Thanks and well done to you too! I'm actually starting next year, I applied for deferred entry and am taking a gap year next year. I just wanted to get ahead on the accommodation because I'll be super busy around the deadline.
Original post by Disney0702
Hi guys,

I finished my first year studying General Engineering over at Warwick.

If you're not into all that partying like myself then I would suggest NOT applying for Rootes. They ALWAYS have parties and they are so unclean! But loads of people have fun there, don't get me wrong.

Westwood has a bad rep for being too far away, it is the the furthest accommodation to central campus but only by an extra ~5 minutes compared to the other accommodation. Westwood does have one of the largest rooms and although its not en suite there's a sink in the rooms so that's very convenient.

Whitefield also has a bad rep for looking absolutely crap! But then again, I've never heard too many people complain about it.

Basically, wherever you go you'll end up happy because you'll meet awesome people who are all in the same boat as you. :wink:

I lived in Cryfield so if you have any questions you can always ask. :-)

Thank you for this it is super helpful! You'll probably be biased about Cryfield, but I'll ask anyway - how does it compare to the other 3 I asked about? :smile:
Thank you for this it is super helpful! You'll probably be biased about Cryfield, but I'll ask anyway - how does it compare to the other 3 I asked about? :smile:

I can honestly say it isn't one of the best looking accommodations. Places like Bluebell, Sherbourne, Lakeside and Heronbank look lovely! But wherever you go it is the people that make it a wonderful living experience.

I'll give you pros and cons about Cryfield, starting off with cons.

Cons:
- Corridors are extremely SMALL! But you'll eventually get used to them.
- It has the smallest rooms on campus. It is also the cheapest so I guess that's good compensation. After a while the size of the room won't be an issue, I eventually got used to it and ended up loving it!
- There are no lifts! So moving in isn't going to be pleasant if you're room isn't on the ground floor!
- Shared bathrooms but again you'll get used to it. Surprisingly I've never had to wait for the shower or the toilet for the entire year!
- You only get half a fridge space and half a freezer space in the kitchen. So I wouldn't buy too many things for your fridge in advance, only butter and milk and all the other fridge essentials.

Pros:
- As mentioned above its the cheapest accommodation so you save a LOT of money!
- Although we're not en suite we've got sinks in our room which is incredibly useful! I think we're one of the few non en suites who do have them. I know Tocil doesn't!
- We're incredibly close to Central Campus and the SU.
- Following that, although it may not seem important now but we're also close to Rootes grocery store so if you ever run out of groceries its only a couple of minutes away.
- You get two cupboards and a drawer in the kitchen which is a lot compared to the other kitchens.
- We're also very close to Ramphal building, around 5 mins walk. Ramphal Building is one of the common locations for lectures to take place.
- We're also one of the few that have common rooms, so you can meet up with loads of your flatmates and host parties there instead of in kitchens.

I think the following are stuff that are useful for any accommodation.

Recommendations:
- Get a door stopper! Its the easiest way to make friends on your first day! Having an open door makes you seem inviting and friendly.
- Take the top shelf on the fridge! Getting ones below isn't pleasant because there are so many instances where people's milk or juice has started leaking all over people's food! If you're at the top no one can leak anything on you. My kitchen ended up making a milk shelf on the bottom shelf of the fridge to minimise things getting icky in there, all you had to do was put your name on your milk so people would know who's who.
- This may sound dumb but bring at least SOME stuff to make your room feel homely. I think I've done my best in doing that and it made me feel really cosy. I've visited some other bedrooms where no effort was put in and it kinda felt dreary. I know quite a few people who have regretted not putting effort into having a homely vibe in their bedrooms. Remember that you'll be staying there for at least 30 weeks so making your bedroom feel more like home if you can.
- The wall colours in Cryfield rooms are pretty dull so having a poster or two makes the room feel more vibrant.
- Do not take any drawers or cupboards near the sink, oven or hob! During peak cooking hours it can be so difficult to get to it when others are cooking or washing up.

I've taken some pictures of my room before I left. If you want, I'm more than happy to show you what it looked like.

Let me know if you'd like to know anything else :-)

CONGRATS TO ALL OF YOU FOR GETTING INTO WARWICK! YOU GUYS WILL LOVE IT!
(edited 7 years ago)
I can honestly say it isn't one of the best looking accommodations. Places like Bluebell, Sherbourne, Lakeside and Heronbank look lovely! But wherever you go it is the people that make it a wonderful living experience.

Cons:
- It has the smallest rooms on campus. It is also the cheapest so I guess that's good compensation. After a while the size of the room won't be an issue, I eventually got used to it and ended up loving it!
- There are no lifts! So moving in isn't going to be pleasant if you're room isn't on the ground floor!
- Shared bathrooms but again you'll get used to it. Surprisingly I've never had to wait for the shower or the toilet for the entire year!
- You only get half a fridge space and half a freezer space in the kitchen. So I wouldn't buy too many things for your fridge in advance, only butter and milk and all the other fridge essentials.

Pros:
- Although we're not en suite we've got sinks in our room which is incredibly useful! I think we're one of the few non en suites who do have them. I know Tocil doesn't!
- Following that, although it may not seem important now but we're also close to Rootes grocery store so if you ever run out of groceries its only a couple of minutes away.
- You get two cupboards and a drawer in the kitchen which is a lot compared to the other kitchens.
- We're also very close to Ramphal building, around 5 mins walk. Ramphal Building is one of the common locations for lectures to take place.
- We're also one of the few that have common rooms, so you can meet up with loads of your flatmates and host parties there instead of in kitchens.

Recommendations:
- Get a door stopper! Its the easiest way to make friends on your first day! Having an open door makes you seem inviting and friendly.
- Take the top shelf on the fridge! Getting ones below isn't pleasant because there are so many instances where people's milk or juice has started leaking all over people's food! If you're at the top no one can leak anything on you. My kitchen ended up making a milk shelf on the bottom shelf of the fridge to minimise things getting icky in there, all you had to do was put your name on your milk so people would know who's who.
- This may sound dumb but bring at least SOME stuff to make your room feel homely. I think I've done my best in doing that and it made me feel really cosy. I've visited some other bedrooms where no effort was put in and it kinda felt dreary. I know quite a few people who have regretted not putting effort into having a homely vibe in their bedrooms. Remember that you'll be staying there for at least 30 weeks so making your bedroom feel more like home if you can.
- The wall colours in Cryfield rooms are pretty dull so having a poster or two makes the room feel more vibrant.
- Do not take any drawers or cupboards near the sink, oven or hob! During peak cooking hours it can be so difficult to get to it when others are cooking or washing up.

I've taken some pictures of my room before I left. If you want, I'm more than happy to show you what it looked like.

Wow, thank you so much! That is probably the most comprehensive review I have seen on any thread! And I'll definitely be using your tips :biggrin: Do you know which other buildings have common rooms?

Cons:

Pros:

Recommendations:

Also, is it alright if I send you a dm just in case I have any questions in the future about accommodation or anything else Warwick related since you seem super helpful?
I lived in Tocil so if anyone has questions feel free to ask. :smile:
Wow, thank you so much! That is probably the most comprehensive review I have seen on any thread! And I'll definitely be using your tips :biggrin: Do you know which other buildings have common rooms?

You're welcome :smile:
I know Westwood had their own common room as well. Not too sure which others did, I'm afraid. But, everyone usually hangs out in their kitchen. The people in my corridor all chilled in our kitchen so much that that became our own little common, I've never actually went down to the one in my Accommodation.

Also, is it alright if I send you a dm just in case I have any questions in the future about accommodation or anything else Warwick related since you seem super helpful?

Yes! Of course you can! I'm more than happy to help in whichever you prefer. :-)
Reply 11
Original post by Rkai01

Hi,

I've got an offer for MORSE 2017. I wan wondering which accommodation u finally selected?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending