The Student Room Group

Confusion about UMS in A Level Maths/Further Maths Modules

Hello, I am a bit confused about how UMS works with maths and further maths AS. The UMS i got for each module was:
C1-100
C2-95
S1-96
M1-74
M2-83
FP1-86

First question, for A2 do i resit M1? I got a B in it but ideally i want AAA/AAB in alevels. Also, are these good enough to do further maths for A2. I got 243 UMS which is just scraping the A boundry. And final question, can (and if i can should) I swap M1 and S1 to make the UMS in maths and further maths more equal? I hope everyones results went well. :smile:
swap S1 for M1 next year
i wouldn't bother with resits.
Original post by helpme:)
Hello, I am a bit confused about how UMS works with maths and further maths AS. The UMS i got for each module was:
C1-100
C2-95
S1-96
M1-74
M2-83
FP1-86

First question, for A2 do i resit M1? I got a B in it but ideally i want AAA/AAB in alevels. Also, are these good enough to do further maths for A2. I got 243 UMS which is just scraping the A boundry. And final question, can (and if i can should) I swap M1 and S1 to make the UMS in maths and further maths more equal? I hope everyones results went well. :smile:

If you feel you can cope with the extra resit, then I think it is worth it. One of my classmates resat FP1 (which he already acheived an A in), so that he could acheive a higher A to account for lower UMS in his A2 modules. This actually worked out quite well for him as he ended up with lower than expected in his A2 Further Maths modules but still retained an A grade.

Module swapping is dealt with by your exam board, and they will always try to maximise the Maths UMS first over the Further Maths UMS. For example, in my modules I ended up with:

C1 - 84/100
C2 - 95/100
C3 - 100/100
C4 - 98/100
FP1 - 91/100
S1 - 90/100
M1 - 100/100
D1 - 96/100
D2 - 90/100

In the end D1 and M1 were allocated to A2 Maths, whilst S1 and D2 were allocated to AS Further Maths automatically by AQA. This is done automatically by all exam boards so there is no need to worry about swapping modules around yourself :smile:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice I was thinking the same
Reply 4
Original post by Dapperblook22
If you feel you can cope with the extra resit, then I think it is worth it. One of my classmates resat FP1 (which he already acheived an A in), so that he could acheive a higher A to account for lower UMS in his A2 modules. This actually worked out quite well for him as he ended up with lower than expected in his A2 Further Maths modules but still retained an A grade.

Module swapping is dealt with by your exam board, and they will always try to maximise the Maths UMS first over the Further Maths UMS. For example, in my modules I ended up with:

C1 - 84/100
C2 - 95/100
C3 - 100/100
C4 - 98/100
FP1 - 91/100
S1 - 90/100
M1 - 100/100
D1 - 96/100
D2 - 90/100

In the end D1 and M1 were allocated to A2 Maths, whilst S1 and D2 were allocated to AS Further Maths automatically by AQA. This is done automatically by all exam boards so there is no need to worry about swapping modules around yourself :smile:.

OK thanks for the advice. Will probs also ask school to see what they think. You did really well. I am just not sure I will be able to cope with another module
Original post by helpme:)
OK thanks for the advice. Will probs also ask school to see what they think. You did really well. I am just not sure I will be able to cope with another module

Thanks, the module will probably be easier second time around however. Someone else in my year resat 4 of his exams (two maths two physics) from last year and ended up with A*AA, so it is definitely possible. Good decision to check with your school however.

Quick Reply

Latest