The Student Room Group

Anyone get bad results at AS but mint results at A2??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BIGJohnson777
My teachers predicted me A*AA, but I didn't think it was achievable and thought that the teachers were just being nice, because it meant increasing each grade by 1. So I underestimated myself and firmed an AAA Law degree when in fact I could have went for an A*AA course. What course you are thinking about? Some are really undersubscribed and can't afford not to give offers to everyone, even if it's a good uni.

i was thinking of mechanical engineering
Original post by mkeshefkhan
I want to study Dentistry at university and I have a B in biology and a C in Chemistry - how did your cousin's predicted grades work out? I could really do with some help because now I'm not sure if I can even do Dentistry

I've just texted her for you lol and she said dentistry is competitive and hard work at university. You have to be really passionate in order to excel. I've told her what you've got and she told me to tell you to go for dentistry, your grades are really good imo too. Her predictions were based on her exam results but also her hard work and determination she put into the subject. She also asked her teachers to predict her higher lol.
Imo don't put yourself down because my cousin didn't and with her hard work she got A's!!
Original post by citycompusci
is she buff

Yes she is.
:rofl:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 143
Original post by Glutenfree
Plz... I need some success stories to make me feel better

:burnout:

Yeah, last year I got A,C,D,U I dropped the subject I got a C in and this year I got A*, B, C!
Original post by BIGJohnson777
You are in luck then. Not many people can get the science subjects right, anyone can do a humanity, but you need a very specific mindset to do well in sciences. And because of that, mecheng may not receive as many applicants as the uni would like and you should almost certainly get an offer if you keep your expectations as to the choice of the university sensible. Good luck.:smile:

thanks, ill need as much luck as i can get haha, how would you suggest i use my 5 uni options?, does 2 high, 2 med, 1 low sound alright?
I started out by getting EEEB (physics, maths, human biology and psychology) at AS and then DDD at A2 after dropping physics. I then took an extra year, retook basically everything and just got AAB with the B in psychology :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DarkEnergy
Hi, I got a B in AS Maths yesterday and I'm gutted. It was close to an A (3 UMS off) but either way I want to be aiming for top marks, not just 'scraping' an A. Could you please share some tips how to bring my Maths up to an A and potentially an A*? I got 78 UMS in each C1 & C2, and 81 in S1. I will be doing C3, C4, and M1 next year.

Also, a great set of results. That's really inspiring.

If it helps, I made a massive improvement in maths.
My AS grade was a C. I needed at least an A to meet my firm,and I got an A.
So from a C at AS to an A at A2.
I resat all my modules, so u can see the improvement.

OLD:
C1-72/100
C2-73/100
S1-58/100

so 203/300
67% overall

New:
C1-93/100
C2-96/100
S1-98/100

so 287/300
96% overall.

You need to make sure that you follow a revision guide, and make notes on the key things. Unless you don't understand something then just do the questions at the end of each chapter. If you don't understand something, learn about it then do EVERY single question about it in the book, maths revision guides are very repetitive but its worth it.

Don't make too much notes, just key points.
I went over Core 1/2 like this and both took me 6 days (3 hours a day) and I only made 4 sides of notes for both. As i wrote down all the basic rules again like indices etc. Most of the time was spent doing alot of questions.

Then do every single past paper.
MAKE SURE U START DOING ONE PAST PAPER (SO DO THEM AGAIN) EVERY WEEK SO U DON'T FORGET ****. I forgot all of S1 and had to do 9 past papers the day before and mark them/ go through them. Not fun.

Then when its close to ur exams, this is very important and the reason I did not get an A*.

Do all the past papers again, so you are 'sharp'.

I got compleant and for C3 had not done a past paper for 2 weeks, as I had done them all before. I got a C, which made an A* impossible.

I then had 2 days or so to do every single core 4 past paper, and I got 100/100.
full marks on core 4, which for someone who got a C at AS is pretty good.

I did not do past papers before the core 3 exam as i thought i'd remember the questions, it does not matter even if u do u are still practising ur methods.

so my most important tip is make sure u do past papers very very close to ur exams for maths, please do as I diddn't and it cost me an A*.
Original post by whydoidothis?
If it helps, I made a massive improvement in maths.
My AS grade was a C. I needed at least an A to meet my firm,and I got an A.
So from a C at AS to an A at A2.
I resat all my modules, so u can see the improvement.

OLD:
C1-72/100
C2-73/100
S1-58/100

so 203/300
67% overall

New:
C1-93/100
C2-96/100
S1-98/100

so 287/300
96% overall.

You need to make sure that you follow a revision guide, and make notes on the key things. Unless you don't understand something then just do the questions at the end of each chapter. If you don't understand something, learn about it then do EVERY single question about it in the book, maths revision guides are very repetitive but its worth it.

Don't make too much notes, just key points.
I went over Core 1/2 like this and both took me 6 days (3 hours a day) and I only made 4 sides of notes for both. As i wrote down all the basic rules again like indices etc. Most of the time was spent doing alot of questions.

Then do every single past paper.
MAKE SURE U START DOING ONE PAST PAPER (SO DO THEM AGAIN) EVERY WEEK SO U DON'T FORGET ****. I forgot all of S1 and had to do 9 past papers the day before and mark them/ go through them. Not fun.

Then when its close to ur exams, this is very important and the reason I did not get an A*.

Do all the past papers again, so you are 'sharp'.

I got compleant and for C3 had not done a past paper for 2 weeks, as I had done them all before. I got a C, which made an A* impossible.

I then had 2 days or so to do every single core 4 past paper, and I got 100/100.
full marks on core 4, which for someone who got a C at AS is pretty good.

I did not do past papers before the core 3 exam as i thought i'd remember the questions, it does not matter even if u do u are still practising ur methods.

so my most important tip is make sure u do past papers very very close to ur exams for maths, please do as I diddn't and it cost me an A*.

When would you advise starting past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 149
Got EUU in business chem physics in AS due to me just not working anywhere near hard enough. Resat the exams in a2, worked a lot more, nearly got A* in chem and business, got a C in Physics. Also took Math at AS in my second year and got a B.
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
When would you advise starting past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As soon as you have finished the content. Finish all of them in a 5-7 days. I did it in 3 but did not do much apart from past papers.

This tells you how good your revision is going. You should improve past paper after past paper.

You also have to do past papers in the right way.

Lets say u done the textbook stuff made note etc.
You do your first paper get a B. Make sure you go over every mark you dropped and if there is a question you completely got wrong, oull the etxt book out and re learn that topic.

Next paper you get a A like 64/75

Don't say oh thats good enough, go over every mark you droped as before.
Sometimes you may not udnerstand how to get the correct solution, if so ask on TSR. There are some pretty smart people on here who are willing to help you with everything.

After a while u will get annoyed even with a score of 74/75. Don't drop any marks at home, go over all of them. In the exam you are bound to make some silly mistakes etc.

Only after you have done every paper like this should you do one past paper every week.

TL:biggrin:R start past papers as soon as you have finished the material, and do them all close together with the mindset listed above.
One of my friends got CCCD and went on to get A*BB in maths physics and further maths.
Another got CDEU and got ABB in business maths and product design.
Original post by jayeshforce1
Im in a similar boat you were last year. I got CDDD, Bio Chem Maths Physics. I need a little advice and help. What do you think? should i drop Maths or Physics. Here is a little background into it. I hated physics at the start of the year and wanted to drop it but ended up keeping it. I didn't put as much effort into the subject before the exams maybe just revised for 2 days before the exam and ended up getting a D. Whereas maths i was ok with and i done considerably well at mocks etc. I put all my effort into it and only manged to get D. My parents believe that i spent a lot of time on maths and that i should consider dropping it. But i am confused as to which one to drop to make my life easier at A2 because they both have their pros and cons. Firstly, if i do take A2 maths i will have to do c3,c4 and s1 on top resit module c1 and m1 because it is modular. Whereas if take A2 Physics i will have to sit 3 EXAMS 2 from AS and 1 from A2 because its linear. I feel like physics i can understand well without as much effort because my mind works visually etc. But maths i have to grind my ass off to get it well. Any tips you can give me? any help again would be appreciated.

Hi. Firstly I would suggest asking your subject teachers for maths and physics to see what they think, but don't worry if they don't think you can get an A after your AS grades,my teachers thought the same. In all honesty, I didn't like math and preferred physics too. Well if you did well in your mocks, that could suggest you do have the potential to do well in math and maybe you just had a bad day in the exam hall? I'm not sure how the physics exams are now, but let me tell you, doing c1 and m1 as your resits will not be a massive load at all. C1 you could honestly revise the week before after studying c3/c4 for a year as you need to go over the basics of c1 to do the A2 modules in math anyway. And m1 may be your 'bit of physics' next year, since your mind works visually, mechanics shouldn't be much a problem.
From personal experience, most of my friends who did both math and physics did better in math and I do think math is the easiest option as once you've got the key aspects all you really need to do is all the past papers. But have a look at the specification for next year's physics, maybe during the remainder of the summer look at exam solutions video's for c3/c4 and look some physics resources and get a gist of what you might be doing next year, don't worry if you don't get it straight away though, that's why you have teachers :smile:
Original post by Asdfgh123qwerty
My predicted grades were AAB, I dropped one of the E grades but had to redo AS/A2 for the other E grade which meant sitting in the AS lessons aswell. It may sound a little strange at first but trust me in the end it's worth it I got offers from all 5 universities and in September I'm off to a Russell group uni. Honestly last year I would never have thought I would get what I did but just be thorough in revision by this I mean do all past papers and read examiners reports and see what is in the mark scheme to see how you would answer question to get marks. IT IS POSSIBLE ... YOU MAY BE TOLD YOU CAN NOT DO IT BUT YOU CAN!!!!

The only reason I'm on here is because last year I made a post because I messed up and people told me their success stories and I promised myself if I were to do well I would do the same.

*edit* yes I did it in 2 years, I was told I should go to another college and re do the whole AS but I decided against it best decision I ever made.

What did you get at the end of the two years (A2 Grades)?
As soon as you have finished the content. Finish all of them in a 5-7 days. I did it in 3 but did not do much apart from past papers.

This tells you how good your revision is going. You should improve past paper after past paper.

You also have to do past papers in the right way.

Lets say u done the textbook stuff made note etc.
You do your first paper get a B. Make sure you go over every mark you dropped and if there is a question you completely got wrong, oull the etxt book out and re learn that topic.

Next paper you get a A like 64/75

Don't say oh thats good enough, go over every mark you droped as before.
Sometimes you may not udnerstand how to get the correct solution, if so ask on TSR. There are some pretty smart people on here who are willing to help you with everything.

After a while u will get annoyed even with a score of 74/75. Don't drop any marks at home, go over all of them. In the exam you are bound to make some silly mistakes etc.

Only after you have done every paper like this should you do one past paper every week.

TL:biggrin:R start past papers as soon as you have finished the material, and do them all close together with the mindset listed above.

Thank you soo much will do this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glutenfree
Plz... I need some success stories to make me feel better

:burnout:

I went from C in AS Geography to an A* without resits and from a B in Lit to an A.
(..)

Thanks so much. When did you start making notes for C1 & C2?
Reply 157
My friend had BEEU at AS (Maths, Bio, Chem + Physics) and managed to get A*ABb at A2 and managed to get into Optometry through clearing.
Another had CDEE and got AAAB at A2 and went through adjustment to upgrage from Newman University to Warwick
Original post by doctorwhofan98
A friend's brother got Bs and Cs at A2 (and possibly even a D), and went on to get A*A*A overall. He redid a lot of his AS units, but didn't take an extra year.

what schools did he apply to and where he is at now ?
I got ABBC at AS (remarks pulled it to ABBB) but got AAA for A2. so meeting my offer for my chosen course (AAA) seemed like a very long shot. I also only applied for one course at one university because I loved the university's course so much and it was the only one of it's kind in the whole country! No other university course appealed to me whatsoever. It was such a risky gamble trying to meet such a stiff conditional offer when I had to pull up my grades from AS, but it paid off fantastically!!!!!!I also got 90ums or above in the majority of my A level exams I sat (and resat!) overall which was pretty sweet!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest