The Student Room Group

Can I still get into dental school?

So I got my AS results today and they weren't too great. I got an A in Chemistry, A in Spanish, C in Biology & C in History. I was kind of expecting a low grade in Biology as I hated the course. I had pretty much no motivation to do well this year until July as I did not know what I wanted to do as a career so I didn't work as hard as I could have. I have only recently decided to apply for dentistry in university.

I got 9A*s & 4 As for GCSE & I haven't done the UKCAT yet (I have booked it).

Do you think it is still possible for me to get into a dentistry course? Especially if I work really hard in year 13? Or should I just take a gap year?
I think there is still some hope for you as your fantastic GCSEs and 2 As at AS show you have the potential. If you go to an eligible state school you may be able to apply to the A208 Gateway to dentistry course at Uni of Bristol. The typical offer is BBC and I believe it's just an extra year so 6 years instead of the usual 5. Anyway here's the link have a read through and see if you're eligible. I also recommend to research all the other dental schools and see if you are eligible for their 6 year dental courses.

Alternatively, you could drop Biology (If you hated biology it is unlikely that you will improve your grade much in A2) and re-sit some History modules to get that up to an A in year 13 :smile:
Original post by kp0pfan21
So I got my AS results today and they weren't too great. I got an A in Chemistry, A in Spanish, C in Biology & C in History. I was kind of expecting a low grade in Biology as I hated the course. I had pretty much no motivation to do well this year until July as I did not know what I wanted to do as a career so I didn't work as hard as I could have. I have only recently decided to apply for dentistry in university.

I got 9A*s & 4 As for GCSE & I haven't done the UKCAT yet (I have booked it).

Do you think it is still possible for me to get into a dentistry course? Especially if I work really hard in year 13? Or should I just take a gap year?

Based on your AS grades (congrats on Chem btw!) I don't think there's much need to take a gap year; depending on the unis you apply to, and if it is possible to get your prediction in Biology (and also ideally History) up to B's as well as other factors (e.g. UKCAT, PS, reference etc.), you definitely stand a chance. Have you considered resitting a few exams you know that you could achieve better in? Do you think you would be able to find more motivation to raise the lower grades? If not, I think it may be difficult to get the grades that you really need for next year hence, in that case, a gap year may be the better option. Either way, good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by TheAnthony
I think there is still some hope for you as your fantastic GCSEs and 2 As at AS show you have the potential. If you go to an eligible state school you may be able to apply to the A208 Gateway to dentistry course at Uni of Bristol. The typical offer is BBC and I believe it's just an extra year so 6 years instead of the usual 5. Anyway here's the link have a read through and see if you're eligible. I also recommend to research all the other dental schools and see if you are eligible for their 6 year dental courses.

Alternatively, you could drop Biology (If you hated biology it is unlikely that you will improve your grade much in A2) and re-sit some History modules to get that up to an A in year 13 :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile: Sadly, I can't resit any modules for History as the subject is now linear so I will have to redo all the exams in year 13. Or should I get my Biology paper remarked and see if I can increase it to a B? Also, I go to a grammar school so unfortunately I can't apply for that course but I will look for courses similar to it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by goldenshades
Based on your AS grades (congrats on Chem btw!) I don't think there's much need to take a gap year; depending on the unis you apply to, and if it is possible to get your prediction in Biology (and also ideally History) up to B's as well as other factors (e.g. UKCAT, PS, reference etc.), you definitely stand a chance. Have you considered resitting a few exams you know that you could achieve better in? Do you think you would be able to find more motivation to raise the lower grades? If not, I think it may be difficult to get the grades that you really need for next year hence, in that case, a gap year may be the better option. Either way, good luck :smile:

Thank you ^^ Do you think I should avoid Queen Mary then as they place 50:50 weighting on UKCAT and academic ability? Also, say I was predicted A*A*Bor somehow managed to convince my Biology teachers to predict me an A (so A*A*A or AAA), would I still stand a chance? All my subjects except from Spanish are linear so I can't resit any exams. Now that I know what I want to be in the future, I am more motivated to achieve higher grades. I will attend lunchtime support sessions & get a tutor outside of school for Biology as soon as school starts.
Thanks for the advice :smile: Sadly, I can't resit any modules for History as the subject is now linear so I will have to redo all the exams in year 13. Or should I get my Biology paper remarked and see if I can increase it to a B? Also, I go to a grammar school so unfortunately I can't apply for that course but I will look for courses similar to it.

Ah that's unfortunate, these A-level reforms seem too harsh! Regarding the Biology paper, I would say only get a remark if you are very close to the next grade as your mark/grade can go down as well. However, I heard they usually mark more generously with remarks so try and speak with your teachers or exam officer about that. Either way just make sure you absolutely smash your Y13 exams!
So wait could I still apply to dentistry with an A*BB prediction (or maybe A*AB) or would it be a no go?
Reply 7
Just an update guys, the head of Biology at school has agreed to predict me an A as long as my second choice is a course that needs a grade B prediction for Biology!!! Yaaaay🎉🎉🎉🎉 My Chemistry teacher is predicting me an A*, the Spanish department are predicting me what I got at AS, so an A.
Reply 8
Original post by greys-anatomy
So wait could I still apply to dentistry with an A*BB prediction (or maybe A*AB) or would it be a no go?

I don't think you can, the minimum is AAA unless you apply for the 6year course which has lower requirements
Reply 9
Hey guys, I really would like to study dentistry at uni, I'm in year 12 right now and have just sat my predictor exams. I have got an A* for maths, A for chemistry and B for Biology. Do you think that I still have a chance of doing dentistry?
Just an update guys, the head of Biology at school has agreed to predict me an A as long as my second choice is a course that needs a grade B prediction for Biology!!! Yaaaay🎉🎉🎉🎉 My Chemistry teacher is predicting me an A*, the Spanish department are predicting me what I got at AS, so an A.

How do you feel exams went?

Quick Reply

Latest