The Student Room Group

Should I retake year 12 or carry on to year 13 !!!!!!!- economics at uni

I got my As-Level grades back and got a disappointing CCEE(History-1 mark away from a B, English,Maths,Economics). I was not expecting the highest grades but the two lower grades were disspointing as they were in maths and economics and I wanted to do economics in uni. I now I can do so much better and have talked to my economics teacher who said that if I got similar grades to what I was getting during the year he would predict me higher. I was thinking about retaking the year but am scared that it will waste a year and what otherswill think(I have a huge family). Instead I was thinking to go into yr13 and if I achieve higher then my predicted will take a gap year.

Idk what to do and am really confused I know retaking will give me a fresh start but is it worth it. I will only be able to take either economics or maths and will most proberbly take economics but am not sure of how important doing the Bsc economics which asks maths is compared to the ba in terms of employment in the future. I don't mind taking a gap year but what if my grades do not improve to at least BBB which is what I need to go to Leicester uni.
Reply 1
For Eco, even if you know all the content it's still not enough for a good grade.To achieve the highest possible mark for eco is to learn how to master exam technique. For the 10 markers, make 10 points of analysis and apply to a real world situation and/or extract. 25 markers, an intro of definitions and key arguments. A for and against with supported evaluation throughout whilst applying info from extracts or real world examples providing it's appropriate. For multiple choice, it's just about practise. Normally you have 2 definitely wrong answers and then 2 either right. You just need to be confident in identifying what one is right. I thought eco is linear now? Therefore eco wouldn't really count?
Reply 2
Yes thank I. Think that was my problem so should I just go to year 13 instead of retaking. Is maths not as important for a degree then
Reply 3
Original post by M_k_s
Yes thank I. Think that was my problem so should I just go to year 13 instead of retaking. Is maths not as important for a degree then

There is not any point in retaking. If I were you I'd resit AS maths alongside A2. Maths would make a competitive application for an economics degree. Not everyone finds Maths easy or doable, this is until you understand that Maths is a language. Your time tables, basic algebra and basic mathematical operators are like your alphabet. In the same way, the content in AS is your foundation to build onto in A2. If you have a strong understanding on the AS, A2 will be fine. With Maths, don't do any past papers until you fully reach an understanding of what you need to do. It's completely doable to do Maths in a year. My friend was in the same situation as you for Maths. He got an E in his first year and that's when he learnt how to revise effectively for Maths. That is to first understand the alphabet of Maths (concepts), when he understood the concepts; he enjoyed solving questions. The thing is he was still making mistakes till his exam day, but he never realised mistakes are good in maths. Without mistakes you will never learn, also research shows that brain activity increases when you make a mistake. Anyways he did A2 alongside AS and came out with a B. With maths, the most important thing is the understanding of key concepts and I guarantee you then when you fully understand the key concepts (what I like to call the alphabet), you will get a good grade in Maths. Best of luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Mo98
There is not any point in retaking. If I were you I'd resit AS maths alongside A2. Maths would make a competitive application for an economics degree. Not everyone finds Maths easy or doable, this is until you understand that Maths is a language. Your time tables, basic algebra and basic mathematical operators are like your alphabet. In the same way, the content in AS is your foundation to build onto in A2. If you have a strong understanding on the AS, A2 will be fine. With Maths, don't do any past papers until you fully reach an understanding of what you need to do. It's completely doable to do Maths in a year. My friend was in the same situation as you for Maths. He got an E in his first year and that's when he learnt how to revise effectively for Maths. That is to first understand the alphabet of Maths (concepts), when he understood the concepts; he enjoyed solving questions. The thing is he was still making mistakes till his exam day, but he never realised mistakes are good in maths. Without mistakes you will never learn, also research shows that brain activity increases when you make a mistake. Anyways he did A2 alongside AS and came out with a B. With maths, the most important thing is the understanding of key concepts and I guarantee you then when you fully understand the key concepts (what I like to call the alphabet), you will get a good grade in Maths. Best of luck!

Tbh I'm thinking of doing economics instead of maths as it is not necessarily needed is this a bad decision
Reply 5
Original post by M_k_s
Tbh I'm thinking of doing economics instead of maths as it is not necessarily needed is this a bad decision

Yes I think it would be a bad decision. But if you don't think you're capable of doing maths then do economics. At the end of the day, carry on with the subjects you enjoy and you think you can achieve the highest grade in. Although, ideally Maths would make a stronger application. Your choice tho...

Quick Reply

Latest