The Student Room Group

Are you going to raise bilingual children?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ForestShadow
Whats urban? Making 39k a year and having no hoes?

PRSOM every damn time (your posts give me life)
This is probably a bad idea, mainly because schools are often terrible at teaching languages, and the way you learn languages as a young child vs when you're in school is totally different. If you teach your kids the language of your country of origin, they'll have both that and the language they go to school in as their native language. This is great because they'll never have to study either language to be able to speak it. There are also numerous cognitive benefits to speaking multiple languages, and it actually makes it easier to learn a 3rd language, even if that language is completely unrelated to the first two. You should teach your kids your native language.
Probably.
But then I'll have to speak to them in English :frown:
Original post by Blackstarr
Is German your native language?

Nope but its a passion and means a lot to me and Im in the habit of speaking it quite a lot so my kids will pick it up
Yep. Would be a shame to not pass on the 2 languages I speak fluently to my kids.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Depends whom I wifey :innocent:

In this day and age,it's a huge advantage. Especially if you speak two languages anyway,no matter who the wifey or husband is. I would teach my kids to be multilingual no matter who I end up marrying*
Original post by Foo.mp3
For sure, but you have the privilege of already being bilingual, whereas I do not, hence it is contingent upon she whom I shall wed being the one to lovingly, diligently tutor our children in this area :smile:

ah okay. Well you must have an abundance of multilingual wenches/wifeys *to choose from anyway*
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Yep. Would be a shame to not pass on the 2 languages I speak fluently to my kids.

Which languages?
Original post by ImagineCats
Nope but its a passion and means a lot to me and Im in the habit of speaking it quite a lot so my kids will pick it up

That's great.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Wenches, yes, wifeys, no. Only one girl I've had my sights set on in terms of marriage material in the past few years :u:

lucky girl! Is she bilingual?
Ja
Original post by Blackstarr
Which languages?

English and Spanish.
My partner and I aren't planning on having kids for quite a while, but the plan is for one of us to speak one language exclusively in the household, and the other to speak a different language exclusively. Ideally, if we're living abroad, those languages will be English and the language of the country/region, but if we're living in Scotland the plan is for either or both of us to learn Gaelic, and speak English and Gaelic in the household.
This is actually a pretty common method - it's shown that kids tend to take longer to learn to read and write, as they're learning these skills for two languages, and they tend to pick up on the spoken language quicker.
Yes I think it is a good idea. I want my children to speak both Harambish and English. I have buried a sample of my sperm inside the ground of my dwelling, please use it wisely and teach my child both languages.
I will make my children learn esperanto
Original post by Foo.mp3
Seems to be, although I've never heard her speak at length in her mother-tongue :holmes:

Rather charming when I hear the odd phrase, mind, NGL :h:

that's cute you find it attractive! I know some guys are turned off by it(a girl being open with her mother tongue,that is). :h:

bestimmt! tri-lingual, rather
Original post by OfficialHarambe
Yes I think it is a good idea. I want my children to speak both Harambish and English. I have buried a sample of my sperm inside the ground of my dwelling, please use it wisely and teach my child both languages.

@Lord Samosa found your new bf :lol:
yes, english and french
I am fluent in Arabic and hope to become fluent in French (my dad is) within the next two years. If I have kids, they will learn those two languages and hopefully more at school.

Quick Reply

Latest