The Student Room Group

Maths Alevel- urgent

Is it alot of work to resit C1,C2,S1?
Are you continuing maths to A2? If you are you'll be using a lot of C1 and C2 topics so in won't be a huge amount of work to retake them. Stats is harder because you won't be using the material so you'll have to work to keep it fresh. Do you need to resit all three units? If stats isn't really bad I'd consider doing just C1 and C2.
Original post by sindyscape62
Are you continuing maths to A2? If you are you'll be using a lot of C1 and C2 topics so in won't be a huge amount of work to retake them. Stats is harder because you won't be using the material so you'll have to work to keep it fresh. Do you need to resit all three units? If stats isn't really bad I'd consider doing just C1 and C2.

I need an A grade for maths, I need to resit 3 maths modules along with one for geography
Original post by geography1294
I need an A grade for maths, I need to resit 3 maths modules along with one for geography

If you need the A grade and the only way to get it is to resit all three then you haven't really got much of a choice :smile: Focus on stats and the parts of core that don't carry on to A2 and be sure to do all the past papers. Definitely drop a subject if you did 4 AS's, and treat your resits like a fourth subject, giving yourself timetabled hours to work at it if it helps.
QUOTE=sindyscape62;67068828]If you need the A grade and the only way to get it is to resit all three then you haven't really got much of a choice :smile: Focus on stats and the parts of core that don't carry on to A2 and be sure to do all the past papers. Definitely drop a subject if you did 4 AS's, and treat your resits like a fourth subject, giving yourself timetabled hours to work at it if it helps.

Is it doable to get an A though?
I'm considering doing C1 and C2 resits so I'd be doing 11 exams next year. I just need to find a way in answering the harder trickier questions in Maths. Perhaps I should try doing Soloman past papers or OCR/Edexcel papers? (my board is Aqa)
Original post by Niyi Aderounmu
I'm considering doing C1 and C2 resits so I'd be doing 11 exams next year. I just need to find a way in answering the harder trickier questions in Maths. Perhaps I should try doing Soloman past papers or OCR/Edexcel papers? (my board is Aqa)

I'd be doing 13!
I'd be doing 13!

Damnn, what other a-levels do you do?
Original post by Niyi Aderounmu
Damnn, what other a-levels do you do?

Chemistry and a humanity

Is it doable to get an A though?

Doable, yes. At some schools people who do maths and further maths do the whole maths A-level in year 12, and what you'll be doing is easier than that as you already know the content and should just be fine tuning it.
Doable, yes. At some schools people who do maths and further maths do the whole maths A-level in year 12, and what you'll be doing is easier than that as you already know the content and should just be fine tuning it.

Thank you! By the way what did you get in Maths a Level?
Thank you! By the way what did you get in Maths a Level?

A* :smile: I also have a friend who didn't do great at AS (a C maybe?) and he resat 2 AS units and came out with an A overall. As long as you put the work in you'll be fine.
A* :smile: I also have a friend who didn't do great at AS (a C maybe?) and he resat 2 AS units and came out with an A overall. As long as you put the work in you'll be fine.

To get an A, I dont need to resit all 3 module?
To get an A, I dont need to resit all 3 module?

It depends what your grades and UMS scores were in the modules you've already done. The whole A level is out of 600 UMS and you need 480 to get an A. Your UMS for the units you've done are on your statement of results, and each maths paper is out of 100 UMS. If you're aiming for an A assume you'll get an A in the three A2 modules (that's between 80% and 90% UMS) and see how much you need to improve last year to get at least 480 in total.
Is it alot of work to resit C1,C2,S1?

I think it may be somewhat easier than the first sitting as you'll have done C3/4 S2
It depends what your grades and UMS scores were in the modules you've already done. The whole A level is out of 600 UMS and you need 480 to get an A. Your UMS for the units you've done are on your statement of results, and each maths paper is out of 100 UMS. If you're aiming for an A assume you'll get an A in the three A2 modules (that's between 80% and 90% UMS) and see how much you need to improve last year to get at least 480 in total.

Many Thanks! Did all the past papers for C1 and C2, and went into the exam and made very silly mistakes and forgetting things that I clearly knew very well
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I think it may be somewhat easier than the first sitting as you'll have done C3/4 S2

Did you do A2 Maths this year and if so what grade did you achieve? Did you resit any modules?

Quick Reply

Latest